gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681501 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 12:00:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Talk to Brian NOW ON FACEBOOK  (Read 12121 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 01:51:28 PM »

My guess is he's on the phone with Jean Seivers, who is doing the typing.

Melinda's doing the typing, as usual.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 01:53:50 PM »

Well, the man does like Norbit...

Poor guy's NEVER gonna live that down!  LOL

Not while I'm around...  Grin

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 02:02:35 PM »

Geoff Howe Hi Brian! The new album reminds me a lot of the big band songs you did in the mid 70s, like "Still I Dream of It", "It's Over Now" and "Deep Purple". The incredibly lush orchestrations a very Gershwin-esque on those tracks, and you croon just as lovely on them! Would you consider performing some of these songs next to the Gershwin tunes when you tour next? That's would be really be a gas man.

Brian Wilson Geoff: no we won't

You can't blame me for askin'!  LOL

Excellent question and suggestion, though! I'm surprised he answered at all, that doesn't seem like the kind of question he would choose to answer, whether or not he's doing all the choosing. Amusingly terse response.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 02:03:54 PM »

Ste:
BRIAN, what parts of "Nothing But Love" are Gershwin's ?

Brian Wilson:
Ste - can't cite example over the phone now

Uh? Ok...

Cheesy Bless his heart.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 02:17:01 PM by mutedtrumpeterswan » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010, 02:03:58 PM »

awesome:

"Jessie - once every two years -if you like pies - you should go there right now"

"Adam: I hear the Kinks everyday on 60s revolution radio. I like their stuff"

about using Moog synths again:  "Andrew: yeah, I would defintitely consider it - i love that instrument"

"Robert - I used to listen to Frank Zappa -crazy modern music"

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 02:13:07 PM »

Q: What TV shows and movies do you like to watch? Have you seen "Inception"?

Brian Wilson: Jeopardy and wheel of fortune. I didn't see INception.

Yes, you must see Inception to have good taste at all.

Derp :\
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:07:53 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2010, 03:02:33 PM »

Brian's a Tchaikovsky fan.

OK in my book  Cheesy
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2010, 03:11:44 PM »

No, but for most people, good taste precludes liking Norbit.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:08:02 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2010, 03:25:36 PM »

No, but for most people, good taste precludes liking Norbit.

What's the Brian "Norbit" quote? lol
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:08:42 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2010, 03:32:26 PM »

So i missed out on this. It seems that Brian has A LOT of idiot fans on fb though.... One asked him how to cope with bipolar disorder. I mean, jesus.

Trying to pick out some good Brianisms...

(in response to a question about how he writes)
Brian: I play the keyboard and go WHOA and go 'I like that chord' and the music starts to come.

He goes to a vocal coach 2-3 times a week....

He likes 'older jazz and newer jazz'....

He considers 'this and TLOS' to be his 'crowning achievements'.... *cough* Wife&Managers *Cough*

He says nothing the Beach Boys have done comes close to Gershwin..... Aww.

The Like In I Love You was the most difficult song to get 'right'

Melinda, FWIW, likes that song the best. His kids seem to like the entire thing. Aww...

'I don't give piano lessons but that's too bad'

Most bizarre quote so far is 'Bach is in 'California Girls' (Hums joy of jesus)'  Huh

He hates his voice on 'When I Grow Up' - Thinks it sounds 'tiny'. I think he means 'Tinny'.

He likes 'Mamma Mia'  Thud

'I get recognized all the time - what is going on here I say. Well, I must be famous - I feel a little bit pararnoid acutally'. Aww...

Oh Brian. Lots of interesting questions got asked, but were swamped in a deluge of 'how did you think of pet sounds' type things. Gah. IDIOTS!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
TerryWogan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »

Most bizarre quote so far is 'Bach is in 'California Girls' (Hums joy of jesus)'  Huh

Ah, he's mentioned that before- see this interview, a few seconds in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSy-p1Lejfw
The Bach influence manifests in the rhythm; dum-de-dum-de-dum-de-dum.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2010, 03:48:52 PM »

Neat he answered both of my questions.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2010, 03:49:47 PM »

What's the Brian "Norbit" quote? lol
Basically, a few years ago a reviewer asked him if he'd seen any movies recently, and he said Norbit. Next question was what's your favorite movie of all time. Answer: Norbit.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2010, 03:57:49 PM »

"Inception" might be WAY to complex for Brian. I've seen it twice, I loved it beyond belief, but I don't pretend to understand all of it.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 03:59:58 PM »

Norbit is a cool movie.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2010, 04:28:47 PM »

"Inception" might be WAY to complex for Brian.

Well, if Brian was freaked out about the "Mr. Wilson" line in the movie Seconds back in `66, imagine how wigged he'd be over Inception.  Brian's the last person out there that needs to have his "mind warped".  Cool Guy

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2010, 05:34:47 PM »

Arrgh...Facebook is blocked on my work computer. Hopefully this will be archived.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2010, 08:11:34 PM »

I don't think that the person calling him Bryan will be answered.  Roll Eyes

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2010, 09:03:02 PM »

I don't think that the person calling him Bryan will be answered.  Roll Eyes
"Hey, Bryan, how are things between you and Mykal recently? Also, if a reunion were to happen, would you include Brunettie Chaplin in on it?"  LOL
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2010, 09:48:30 PM »

Everybody knows that a Beech Boyz reunion would be incomplete without Ellen Geraldine.  Wink

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2010, 11:24:44 PM »

I missed the live chat. Here's the best I could come up for an actual "interview". Any answers with (Huh) at the end represent a question or name I just could not find. Here you go:

Brian Wilson OK EVERYBODY: HERE'S BRIAN: ASK AWAY:

Josh Morrow Gorgeous orchestrations and arrangements as always! My question is, did you
go back and listen to any particular recordings of these songs or did
you stay away from listening to other artists interpretations when you were
arranging?

Brian Wilson Josh: we learned from orignal artists and then did ours

Lauren Woods Mr Wilson, I want to thank you for making such a magical album, and all of the magical music you've made during your life. I'm 17 and I much prefer GOOD music like yours rather than a lot of pop music today! My question is: if George Gershwin was alive today, what would you like to say to him?

Brian Wilson Lauren: I would say George I love your music and Ira's and it was big thrill

Brian Wilson Jason: We're considering it - maybe next year (NO JASON?)

Brian Wilson There is some talk about Australia late October maybe (Huh)

Sam Capuano Did the arrangements come quickly?

Brian Wilson Sam: ORcheestration with Paul got togehter and pual wrote out charts and I told him what I wanted

Christy Sattler Robertson How do you come up w/ your songs/melodies? Do you hear it in your head like it just comes to you or to you have to play on the piano and experiment?

Brian Wilson Christy: I play the keyword and go whoa and go I like that chord and the melody starts to come

Phil Smith How excited are you releasing gershwin's work?

Brian Wilson Phil: OH im very excited about it and I hope young people like Gershwin

Sam Bird How do you keep your voice so great in your later years?

Brian Wilson Sam: I go to a vocal coach 2-3 times a week and it strenghtens me so I can sing

Giamaria Chemagne Wright Brian, Do you ever contemplate any of your older pieces and think, and in a moment think of something you could do to it? Thoughts change, our hearts change, and sometimes I see, even in my writing a new layer at times. Just wondering! I adore your work!! All of it!!

Brian Wilson Giamaria: we make double-sure we do it right

Jason Goodrow Hello Brian;
Are there other jazz era arrangers that influence how you voice your instruments? Do you have a favorite Ellington or Basie track?

Brian Wilson Jason: I like older jazz and new jazz - Gershwin's jazz

Robert Mike Fulton Brian, you've reconnected us with our popular music past! What an accomplishment to reinterpret Gershwin for this generation. Do you consider this your crowning achievement?

Brian Wilson Robert - this and TLOS - mostly this because of the greatest 20th century composer George Gesrhwin

Matt Cook Dear Brian. Me and my dad are big fans of you and the Beach Boys. Do you prefer the sound of the new band you have, and would you consider it more enjoyable playing the older songs with them?

Brian Wilson Matt - I like mostly the beach boys clasics with my band

Eric Hesek Congratulations on recording Gershwin. Other than Graduation Day, what Four Freshman song would you like to record and why?

Brian Wilson Eric - little girl blue because it's about a girl who's helpless in love with this man

Paul Jay Diamond Wonderful work. Brian, thank you for using the rhythms from your musical past. I heard many memorable sounds from "Farmer's Daughter" to "California Girls" mixed with Gershwin standards.
Bravo

Brian Wilson Paul - tried to make it sound like Wilson AND Gershwin

Robert Zepeda Jr Brian. Loved the new album. We know you were inspired by Gershwin and the Four Freshman when you were young. Any new artist/bands that you enjoy and find inspiring?

Brian Wilson Robert - nothing from the 80s on - but Spector, Rosemary clooney and four freshman were my entire music education

Kevin Witts Brian, Which of your own personal compositions do you consider the most "Gershwin-esque"?

Brian Wilson Kevin - heroes and villans because of french horn sound - Gershwin's spirit lives on in music makers

Geoff Howe Hi Brian! The new album reminds me a lot of the big band songs you did in the mid 70s, like "Still I Dream of It", "It's Over Now" and "Deep Purple". The incredibly lush orchestrations a very Gershwin-esque on those tracks, and you croon just as lovely on them! Would you consider performing some of these songs next to the Gershwin tunes when you tour next? That's would be really be a gas man.

Brian Wilson Geoff: no we won't

Sean Williams What was it like working with your band again on the new record?

Brian Wilson Sean - it was great -band was on the dime. Took about 2 1/2 -3 months to do the album

Ste BeachBoys BRIAN, what parts of "Nothing But Love" are Gershwin's ?

Brian Wilson Ste Beach boy fan - can't cite example over the phone now

Aric Effron did you ever go to one of those Gershwin Hollywood Bowl classical concerts in LA in the 60s?

Brian Wilson Aric - yes I do remember going but it was a long time ago

Mike Zonshine How does producing an album of Gershwin's music differ from producing your own music?

Brian Wilson Mike of course the differenece -the quality of Gershwin's music runs so high and nothing with the Beach Boys comes near to this

Andrew Spoeth Brian, on this album, what was the most difficult song to get just right, and why?

Brian Wilson Andrew, well i would have to say the like in ilove you, because we kept trying to capture the gershwin feeling and it took us a little bit longers

Dominiks Vēveris Hello Brian, I'm teenage fan from Wiltshire, England. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of this new album, and from the clips I've heard it doesn't disappoint. Having been a major innovator in music for nearly five decades, what is your own reflection on how music and the industry has changed over this period? Do you find that modern music often lacks the vocal harmonies found in the fifties and sixties, that you so exemplified?

Brian Wilson Dominikis: modern music lacks heart and sould I have to say that but there is some good stuff floating around

Jamie Arnett Brian, first off, thanks for this fantastic album! I would like to know what Melinda and the kids thought of this record? What are their favorite tracks?

Brian Wilson Jaime: Melinda and the kids LOVE the record and Melindas I think is The like IN I love you. Kids like the whole album!

Damon Surgener Brian...how difficult was it to get down the harmonies on this record compared to your other works? Thanks Damon.

Brian Wilson Damon -each album is different - harmonies were more difficult on this one to prove it to Gershwin and public would like

Jay Clayton Brian, do you visualize your arrangements first and then try to match the sound in your mind, or do you experiment with instruments and sounds and then shape the arrangement accordingly?

Brian Wilson Jay - I get the background tracks first and then put on the vocals

Matt Cook Will you be sending Mike Love a copy?

Brian Wilson Matt - I think we're going to send him a copy!

Daniel Eça
Hi, Brian! Greetings from Brazil.
Well my question now is something that aways made me curious. Do you intend to write some classical music just like Paul Mccartney did? It would be at least very interesting, once you are a proud fan of Bach....

Brian Wilson Daniel: Bach is in California Girls - (hums joy of jesus ...)

Tyler Clemens will you give me a piano lesson? Mores then willing to drive anywhere for it

Brian Wilson Tyler: I don't give piano lessons but that's too bad

Jude Connelly Hi Brian - 68 and making some of the the best music of your career. What's your secret?

Brian Wilson Jude - food eat and exercise - keeps me feeling young

Adam Fangman Who's your favorite classic composer?

Brian Wilson Adam: Bach and taichowsky

Danny Hickey What's your favorite song you've written?

Brian Wilson Danny: My favorite song is God Only Knows. Least favorite is when I grow up to be a man. For some reason my voice sounded tinty - never liked itd

Leonard Lumbers Brian, were you tempted to arrange "Rhapsody In Blue" with a "Be My Baby" backbeat? That would've been the wildest thing imaginable!

Brian Wilson Leanard: you know what - it wouldn't fit

Dan Ferentzy Brian, great album! Back in the Beach Boys days did you ever think of cutting anything Gershwin related?

Brian Wilson Dan - no I didn't.

Jessie Leon Do you still go to Marie calendars?

Brian Wilson Jessie - once every two years -if you like pies - you should go there right now

Matt Heisey I was wondering how much you had to work with when collaborating on "nothing but love" and the "the like in i love you"? Were they just short melodies, fragments, lyrics, etc? Thanks!

Brian Wilson A few bars of one went into a new song - just a few bars and we did the rest

Daniel Westdorp Brian, any thoughts about what makes your music so special to such a variety of people?

Brian Wilson Daniel: I think people like us because Mike and me - voice arranging and voices blending in background ,background tracks I produced. Just cant be beat - really good

Rick Schroeppel Brian, was this easier or harder than a regular album, or about the same?

Brian Wilson Rick - about the same but this took a little extra care because we wanted to present George and Ira proudly- get really good stuff

Drew Gutrath Brian there is a little "Farmers Daughter" in I Got Rythm. Was this a conscious decision or did it come up organically? Also what is your favorite food.

Brian Wilson Drew =- conscious - my buddy foskett came up with fade tag of Farmers Daughter. He thought of that

Luigi Delgado Brian, when did you get this idea of doing a Gershwin album?... Could you imagine how this could have been with Carl and Denny's voices in the album?

Brian Wilson Luigi: Disney people came to us about a year ago and asked us if we wanted to do an album and we said "sure thing"!

Noel Copiaco I Got Rhythm. That is your rhythm, Brian. I like the way you faded it away and channeled "Lana".

Brian Wilson Noel- yes, Gershwin inspired. Amazing how Gershwin has inspired everybody

Jonathan Alan Chesser What was your first reaction when Gerswhin's estate approached you to finish his unifinished songs?

Brian Wilson Jonathan: A little scary but we did it.

Philip Russell Hi Brian, Album is fab! Two new songs S'WONDERFUL.
How much material (of these two newbies) did you have to work with? Was it a virtual start from a couple of bars, and how long did it take you and Scotty to finish them?THey are great

Brian Wilson Nothing but Love took about a week of hard work

Carol Boylen Brian....aloha from Hawaii! New album is awesome. I've noticed a lot of popular music from the 40's and 50's had a similar pattern: orchestral opening, verse, orchestral middle and final verse. many of them sound so much alike. But with your Gershwin album, I don't hear that. Was it a conscious decision to make each song sound fresh?

Brian Wilson Carol - yes treat each song differently - all 12 of those songs. each one was mountain to climb - really hard

Brandt Ranj If you could have had George reimagine one of your songs what would it have been?

Brian Wilson Brant - California Girls

Drew Gutrath Why did you decide to I Got Plenty O' Nuttin as an instrumental?

Brian Wilson Drew: my wife and I were talking about that - if we have the right melody. She said about a harmonica on the lead and that's exactly what we did.

Brian Wilson Jeopardy and wheel of fortune. I didn't see INception.

Kevin Witts Brian, Which of your band members typically takes Carl's parts in the vocal blend when you play live?

Brian Wilson Kevin: Carl is taken by Probyn and Darian sometimes. Nicky Wonder did the bass voice at end of Nothing but Love

Graziano Moramarco Brian, you are one of the few geniuses in 20th and 21st century music and, through this new album, you pay homage to another genius. Who you consider to be the other greatest composers/songwriters of the last century?

Brian Wilson Graziano: Burt Bacharach if there's anyone close to Gershwin

Adam Fangman Have you ever listened to The Kinks?

Brian Wilson Adam: I hear the Kinks everyday on 60s revolution radio. I like their stuff

Emma Hardwick Oops, I forgot to ask you a question! AFTER YOU TAKE A BREAK, what are your plans? I live between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe, will you be heading up this way to play for us, at Lake Tahoe? I hope so. Brian you are still the best! Thank you!!!!!!!!

Brian Wilson Emma - well yeah, we're kinda waiting to see what happens with the album

Andrew Locke Hi Brian, your music is an inspiration! My question is: in the late 70s you played around a lot with a Moog synth you owned. One of my favorite albums ever is "The Beach Boys Love You" mostly because of all the amazing Moog baselines you put in all the songs. Have you ever considered working on new music that incorporated some of those weirder textures and different instruments?

Brian Wilson Andrew: yeah, I would defintitely consider it - i love that instrument

Rick Schroeppel Brian, what did you like best about this - the writing, the arranging, or the singing?

Brian Wilson Rick - you know I'd have to say all three: writing, producing, arrangeing and singing. All four I do.

Matt Tripodi How's your falsetto doing these days?

Brian Wilson MAtt: very well actually - I go to the vocal coach a lot

Donald Campfield Brian: HOW do you remember the chords/arrangement between home and the studio?

Brian Wilson Donald: In my head

Brian Wilson Nicky - no we didn't, no (Huh)

Marc Harry Any chance 'I've Got Rhythm' could be a hit single???

Brian Wilson Marc: I think that could be a single but I think "They can't take that away from me" would be nice single

Brian Wilson Ira was so great, Porgy - who could think of that but Ira (Huh)

Kram Gnuhc Any plans to score a film/ movie, TV show etc ??

Brian Wilson Kram - I don't know how to score. Wouldn't be able to do that Like Randy Newman. Not my forte.

Eugene Sedita Hello, Mr. Wilson Smiley What were you looking for in the process of selecting a George Gershwin tune to complete? "The Like In I Love You" is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.

Brian Wilson Eugene: I do not remember I just know that those two had specail harmonic sounds

Brian Wilson I listen to krth 101 and I listen a lot to Diana Ross (Huh)

Robert Molijn Mr Wilson, how about Frank Zappa? Just wondering?

Brian Wilson Robert - I used to listen to Frank Zappa -crazy modern music

Raul Escudero HI BRAIN! So many of your songs can move me to tears because they are so beautiful and soul-stirring. Are there any songs you can think of that do the same to you?

Brian Wilson Raul: The Ronettes sometimes and the long and winding road

Rob Kenny Was "Rhapsody in Blue" the first song you ever learned on piano??

Brian Wilson Rob - yeah, actually that was, yeah!

Headstart Hats Brian, which do you prefer - Vinyl, CD or Download?

Brian Wilson Headstart: CD, yeah!

Wendy White Ever thought of doing a musical based on Beach Boys songs, like "Mama Mia"Huh??

Brian Wilson Wendy: I liked it when I saw it. Very creative

Veronica Kathleen Brian, so what does it feel like to have so many admirers? Is it hard to stay down to earth?

Brian Wilson Veronica: not not really, I get recognized all the time - what is going on here I say. Well, I must be famous - I feel a little bit pararnoid actually

Jonathan Alan Chesser Brian is the Ronnette's "Be My Baby" still something that you listen to quite frequently?

Brian Wilson Jonathan: I dont' have a copy but I listen on the radio

Brad Kelly Brian, what's your favorite venue to play at, and do you hope to plan that as part of your tour for this album?

Brian Wilson Brad - Boston - symphony hall and Royal Festival hall

Nicky Lammertink Did you record any songs that were left off the album?

Brian Wilson Taylor and I did "Let's call the whole thing" off is an outtake that's on iTunes

Daniel Westdorp Brian, are there any other projects like this on the way?

Brian Wilson Daniel: not really, no

Brian Wilson We worked in some themes - Wilson reimages Gershwin. we did harmonies so people could apprecaite. (Huh)

Jessie Leon Are you going to tour for this album? Heard it today it sounds great!!!!!

Brian Wilson Jessie - maybe some day

Matt Tripodi Are you ever going to reopen The Radiant Radish?

Brian Wilson Matt; Oh No, no! It's a whole new store now!

Daniel Eça How many instruments can you play?

Brian Wilson Daniel: keyboard, a little drums and bass, mostly keyboard and bass. I don't even know how to play a guitar

Allan Overland Brian- what did it feel like after hearing the new album for the first time? How did it compare to pet sounds? Again, I love this record! Thanks, Allan

Brian Wilson Allan: Well, it's quite an experience - a deeply moving experience. You can't get any better than Wilson sings Gershwin. That's good music right there

David Slavin Brian, any chance for a Gershwin follow up album?

Brian Wilson David I doubt it. This one is quite enough.

Brian Wilson Thank you so much everybody - I really hope you like the album! See you soon!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:10:36 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2010, 12:38:59 AM »

Hey Roger Lancelot,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post that - a great idea. There are more revelations there than in so many other interviews I've read, and you really feel that he is actually thinking about and responding to the questions.  This is clearly the best way to interview Brian! I found the following interesting to hear:

Brian Wilson Danny: My favorite song is God Only Knows. Least favorite is when I grow up to be a man. For some reason my voice sounded tinty - never liked itd

And this was the funniest exchange for me:

Leonard Lumbers Brian, were you tempted to arrange "Rhapsody In Blue" with a "Be My Baby" backbeat? That would've been the wildest thing imaginable!

Brian Wilson Leanard: you know what - it wouldn't fit

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
rogerlancelot
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2010, 12:58:40 AM »

There ARE some very interesting bits in there. I wish I would have known about it sooner as I would have asked something. Still with over 750 questions asked (some of them very cringe-worthy!) it's as about honest as you can catch the guy.

By the way, it was very hard to edit that in a comprehensive way. I did the best I could between cooking for everybody, etc. At least we have something to go by for now.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2010, 01:23:48 AM »

He's now claiming the harmonica on "Nuthin'" was Melinda's idea.   LOL

Well, at least her musical instincts are getting better ...

LOL that's one of the reasons why I disliked that song....too much harmonica!

My initial reaction to this, was oh christ why is Melinda involved in these type of decisions but I thought about if for a while and I guess in some ways it's entirely natural. I'm an illustrator and take my work very seriously. My partner is a therapist with no art training, and she can barely draw a cat, but I totally value her opinion. If she doesn't like a picture, quite often there's a good reason for it, and if she likes something I've done, then I know I'm on to something. She makes suggestions and I listen to her and sometimes take them on board.

I'm sure it pisses the band right off though!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2010, 01:49:16 AM »

He's now claiming the harmonica on "Nuthin'" was Melinda's idea.   LOL

Well, at least her musical instincts are getting better ...

LOL that's one of the reasons why I disliked that song....too much harmonica!

My initial reaction to this, was oh christ why is Melinda involved in these type of decisions but I thought about if for a while and I guess in some ways it's entirely natural. I'm an illustrator and take my work very seriously. My partner is a therapist with no art training, and she can barely draw a cat, but I totally value her opinion. If she doesn't like a picture, quite often there's a good reason for it, and if she likes something I've done, then I know I'm on to something. She makes suggestions and I listen to her and sometimes take them on board.

I'm sure it pisses the band right off though!

My reaction to this is... you really believe that's true ? Brian & Paul worked on the arrangements summer 2009, when Melinda was up at Arrowhead with the children.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx