gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:13:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine EP  (Read 55017 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2010, 04:54:20 AM »

Don't Fight The Sea is the standout here. The production could be less cheesy but the voices and melody are pretty terrific. Hearing Al, Carl, and Brian together again is something special. I wonder how much was recorded now as opposed to 1980.

There's an AFM contract for "Don't Fight The Sea"...recorded at the same session as "That Same Song" for the "15 Big Ones" album (basic track 4/27/76, sweetening the next day).  Players on the basic track were the same as those listed for "That Same Song" on the "15BO" back cover slick.  Al's website says the basic track is from 1978.  There was mention in the "Add Some Music" fanzine of Al working on the song in late 1980.  Al's website says it was recorded at Capitol's Studio A, and the general production style sounds like something from the "Still Cruisin'" era, so it was likely worked on in 1989 (when they had a deal with Capitol Records).  I would guess that's when Carl's (and Brian's) vocals were recorded.  If they used the 1976 basic track as a foundation, it could have Dennis' drumwork on it (other drums were obviously added later on, but the main drums COULD be him).  

Obviously something Al pulled out & worked on sporadically over the years (and decades).
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2010, 06:25:38 AM »

Is Bruce on this track?  Who is singing "Just Let It Be" towards the end?
dave maclean
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2010, 06:53:13 AM »

Please note, the link to Als EP download has now been removed.  It was intended for the private use of those to whome the link was sent.  Dave Maclean
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2010, 07:06:22 AM »

get 'em early i always say.....  Smiley

ps----alan has a great cd coming out i feel....congrats al!

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2010, 07:16:30 AM »

Oh man...I really want to hear this. Is there a way to buy it?
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2010, 07:25:50 AM »

Wow.  WOW!

I LOVED THEM!

Cal Saga w/ Neil Young was great.

All of it was great!

Let's go Al!  The time has come!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:12:37 AM by Not Dick Dale » Logged

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2010, 07:35:38 AM »

I like that everything is linked together with the water sounds. But I don't think Cal.Saga is that good. It's nice and ok for sure but the Campfire Scene is so good that imo it should've led to a better version.
I like Alec Baldwin's recitation very much. He puts in a lot of emotion. Much better that Brian's talking parts on TLOS or Stephe Kalinich's imo.
If the album has the same quality as this EP, then we're in for something very cool. But I hope that the fact that someone put out the link when it seems to have been only for ticket-buyers, won't hamper the release.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2010, 07:43:39 AM »

Please note, the link to Als EP download has now been removed.  It was intended for the private use of those to whome the link was sent.  Dave Maclean

seeing how things were developing on several boards, that's no surpise to me at all...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2010, 07:51:57 AM »

Grin  Grin   Grin

edited  Cool Guy
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:23:52 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2010, 08:14:10 AM »

I just have to saw WOW again.

This was better than I expected.  Shocked

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2010, 08:41:23 AM »

I am blown away. This is so much better than the initial demos Al posted on his website -  help for the way it's arranged cohesively here.

This is great -  some terrific backing vox, and Neil Young's vocal adds... well, I'm not sure yet precisely what it does add, but he's my Number 2 musical hero after BW, John Martyn, Dennis Wilson, Orinoco & Bungo etc, and it certainly adds something.

Also blown away that Al hasn't simply used the Cal Saga that was included on the ESQ freebie a couple or three years back -  that version was stunning, easily worth mainstream release, so I'm well-impressed he hasn't taken the lazy route.

And is this the best vocal performance buy a pod of whales on any CD, any where, any time???

Tidepool Interlude, like has been said, far better than the narration on Brian's album, real feeling in that voice. I'd say better than the Jeffers recitations on Holland, and I'm one of the few fans this side of Saturn who liked that stuff (am I allowed to say that, that I find that something from 2010 could be better than something from 1973?).  But who wrote the lyrics? Is this a collaboration with Stephen J Kalinich? If so, some of the best stuff of his I've heard yet too. Very evocative. Sod the idea of a mere postcard, I need a TICKET to California...!

EDIT: Answered my own question. This from a cutting on Al's own site:
"The track, “Tidepool Interlude” (found on both EP and album packages), includes a spoken word narrative from another special guest, actor Alec Baldwin, who is heard reading a poem written by Stephen John Kalinich, in a moving tribute to California and its natural beauty."

Campfire Scene is is exquisite. If there are more of these such linking tracks on the eventual album release, I'll be a very happy man indeed.

As a footnote, I seriously hope Al isn't discouraged by the fact that these files have been shared by a few fans. This is the best, the most effective promotion his album could have had. I'm sold, I'll buy.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:16:21 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2010, 10:14:13 AM »

As a footnote, I seriously hope Al isn't discouraged by the fact that these files have been shared by a few fans. This is the best, the most effective promotion his album could have had. I'm sold, I'll buy.

Couldn't agree more. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get my hands on it as soon as it's out.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2010, 10:17:35 AM »

When the link was sent out to fans, did it say that it was just for them?  The link was on his own website, why wasn't there a username and password assigned so that it wouldn't be open to everyone?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2010, 10:47:54 AM »

When the link was sent out to fans, did it say that it was just for them?  The link was on his own website, why wasn't there a username and password assigned so that it wouldn't be open to everyone?

Don't know what was said, as I'm playing catch-up. My impression is that the link was intended, in spirit, only for those who'd sent in stubs. Those of us who might get to hear the tracks via other mans are truly fortunate.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2010, 10:49:43 AM »

I have to say I'm a lot more interested in what else Al has in store after hearing these tracks. I totally see the, "That was only meant for people with the ticket stubs," side, but you can count me in on this really grabbing my attention.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2010, 10:52:20 AM »

I have to say I'm a lot more interested in what else Al has in store after hearing these tracks. I totally see the, "That was only meant for people with the ticket stubs," side, but you can count me in on this really grabbing my attention.

Yeah, it would be a very good way to promote the album (which was already mentioned in some magazine's, etc.) if they just put the whole EP up there to download for free. On the other hand, maybe that's exactly what they'll do but they just wanted to give it to the people with tickets earlier

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2010, 10:54:41 AM »

The personal e-mail that was received specifically mentioned not to share the link with others, as one was receiving it before the general public".

In case you wonder why: in 2007 almost days before the European BW/AJ tour was going to start, Al Jardine announced he wouldn't be there. As a compensation for those disappointed but loyal fans that had bought tickets to see them both, Jardine had made the promise to send a free copy of his new CD (which - according to Jardine - was the reason he wasn't able to attend the European concerts) to all fans that would e-mail him scans of the ticket stub after the concert took place. But we all know that since then a CD-release was postponed. Earlier this week, all fans that had sent scans of their stub, received an e-mail basically saying that "Al would like to repay your patience with 4 tracks from his first solo record. Al is still unable to announce the actual release date, but did not wish to ask you to wait any longer"

A nice gesture for sure... but of course it was a matter of time that the "don't share" remark wouldn't hold up for long.

And of course from the fan’s perspective it’s understandable that they would like to share this (great) EP with others. But a bit more low-profile would have been much smarter than for instance openly on the BLUEBOARD (of all places).

Hey, if I were Jardine, I’d probably say “if you can’t keep a promise, I pull the plug as well” too.

But at least the first reviews on this EP are (mildly to very) positive. If only if this would give him that last push to finally release the whole album…

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2010, 11:00:55 AM »

The link was sort of attached to the web site, but wasn't visible. You simply received a link and if you clicked on it, you got a direct download pop-up screen.

And the password thing might have worked for a (very) short while, but once downloaded I assume it would spread out to other fans soon after.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2010, 11:02:06 AM »

I think I speak for every person on this site when I say "JUST RELEASE THE F*#KING THING ALREADY AL!!!!!!!!"
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:03:25 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2010, 12:25:41 PM »

The link was sort of attached to the web site, but wasn't visible. You simply received a link and if you clicked on it, you got a direct download pop-up screen.

And the password thing might have worked for a (very) short while, but once downloaded I assume it would spread out to other fans soon after.

I get that, I guess if you put a password on it, and made it different for everyone, then you could track down who leaked it.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2010, 12:39:14 PM »

I get that, I guess if you put a password on it, and made it different for everyone, then you could track down who leaked it.

well, not really ...if you know what to do....  Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2010, 03:12:37 PM »

Someone hook me up please. I was at 2 shows on that tour but I've no idea where the ticket stubs are.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2010, 12:40:30 AM »

... I was at 2 shows on that tour but I've no idea where the ticket stubs are.

I was in the same boat - I attended a couple of those gigs, and have the stubs somewhere... I took the initial invite to mean "send in the stubs themselves" and as I knew I'd buy the album anyway I decided I'd rather hang on to the stubs for my collection. Never envisaged the CD giveaway, as I'm sure is the case with many here.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2010, 06:00:05 AM »

yep, would be great if someone could upload to sendspace or rapidshare or something and send us a pm.

The main reason I went to those shows was to hear Al sing live as I've seen Brian several times. Still have not seen Al live  Sad

Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2010, 06:35:28 AM »

So, I have been listening to the EP again this morning.

Short but sweet is all I can say.  Damn, Al did a GREAT job on these and to hear Carl's voice again in the mix?  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

I personally can't wait to get the complete CD as I think it will be wonderful to listen to.

I think the Alec Baldwin "Tidepool Interlude" is well done, the "Campfire Scene" builds just right to flow into "California Saga"

I really don't think that Al's camp will be that upset that these tracks have been "leaked" to others without tickets.  The fact that so many people are getting a chance to hear these songs does nothing but drum up more interest in the CD and the fact that the songs and production are top notch, people are certainly more hungry for the full product.

People, these tracks are really, really good.

"What is this feeling that I cannot grasp that is hopeful?  California.  California, you are everything to me."

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx