gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681540 Posts in 27641 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 11, 2024, 09:59:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Underrated BB-Related Songs  (Read 25591 times)
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2010, 10:15:40 AM »

The one that really stands out to me is:

Keepin' The Summer Alive

The studio version is a nice cut but when this was played live, the band really laid into it.  What a great song!

Hmmmm, what else....

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2010, 10:25:47 AM »

And more.....

Cindy Oh Cindy
Full Sail
Funky Pretty
Let the Wind Blow
It’s a Beautiful Day
It's Gettin' Late
Santa Ana Winds
This Whole World
Marcella
Pitter Patter
Aren’t You Glad
Susie Cincinnati
Ding Dang
Shortenin’ Bread
Almost Summer

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2010, 10:38:09 AM »

Here's one that just popped into my head - "That Same Song". Not the 15BO version which is pretty cack but that amazing gospel choir version they rip through on the '76 t.v. special. If only Brian had thought of doing it that way for the album. I think it may have influenced Dennis when he recorded his solo version of "River Song".

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2010, 03:55:37 PM »

I've always thought Diamond Head is a killer slice of Brian atmosphere which really sends the Friends album off into some really interesting/unexpected territory while still feeling completely at home on that album!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2010, 04:02:07 PM »

I've always thought Diamond Head is a killer slice of Brian atmosphere which really sends the Friends album off into some really interesting/unexpected territory while still feeling completely at home on that album!

Yeah, Side B of Friends has a cool vibe/atmosphere, one of the most eclectic sides of any Beach Boys' album.
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2010, 04:57:18 PM »

Ditto on the two above posts. Imagine if We're Together Again or I Went To Sleep were added? Sleep especially fits the Friends vibe I think and would've been a great ending after TM.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2010, 05:59:04 AM »

speaking of ding dang, I was thinking how it should have ended the Love You album...no tracklisting for it, just have it as a hidden track after Love is a Woman, it would give that Brian Wilson 'charm' that we all love and know.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2010, 06:46:58 AM »

Yeah, Side B of Friends has a cool vibe/atmosphere, one of the most eclectic sides of any Beach Boys' album.

Indeed!

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2010, 02:27:09 PM »

speaking of ding dang, I was thinking how it should have ended the Love You album...no tracklisting for it, just have it as a hidden track after Love is a Woman, it would give that Brian Wilson 'charm' that we all love and know.

You're a genius! Exactly. Fade out Side A with "Honkin' Down The Highway", and use "Ding Dang" to close the album. The optimism/pessimism of "Love Is A Woman"/"Ding Dang". Brilliant suggestion. I love it!
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2010, 07:29:50 AM »

I always thought "Noble Surfer" and "Lana" were catchy tunes as well.

Wall of (Pet) Sound(s)
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2012, 10:12:38 AM »

Hawaii
Don't Back Down
Good to My Baby
When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)
*Amusement Parks USA
Let Him Run Wild
You're So Good to Me
With Me Tonight
Gettin Hungry
How She Boogalooed It
Passing By
Little Bird
Diamond Head
Be Still
At My Window
Long Promised Road

A few notes:

- Amusement Parks USA gets an asterisk because of the awful carnival sounds added. Without those, it's wonderful.
- One can't really say that any part of Pet sounds is underrated, but I think Here Today and I'm Waiting for the Day are two of the more overlooked gems on that record.
- Side 2 of Friends might be the most underrated single side in their catalog. I actually don't much care for Side 1, except for Passing By and Meant For You.
- I strongly prefer the era up to and including Surf's Up, so those are the only ones I included in my list.
- I'm looking at this list now and wondering why these tracks aren't held in the same regard as many of the initially lesser-known Beatles deep cuts that are now considered classics. Nothing against the Beatles, of course.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »

One from (almost) each album, i'd love to see any of these included on future Beach Boys compilations:

Noble Surfer
No-Go Showboat
At The Parkin' Lot
We'll Run Away
The Man With All The Toys
She Knows Me Too Well
The Girl From New York City
She's Goin' Bald
Country Air
Be Here In The Mornin'
Never Learn Not To Learn (forget the Manson aspect - this is an incredible production by Dennis)
Celebrate The News
Lady
Slip On Through
Lookin' At Tomorrow
Cuddle Up
Steamboat
Johnny Carson
Angel Come Home
Livin' With A Heartache
Where I Belong
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2012, 02:43:16 PM »

Sweet Mountain.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
MBE
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2012, 09:54:45 AM »

Sharon Marie's stuff is great. Her "Summertime" blows Brian's solo version away.
Sie W
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2012, 02:55:19 AM »

One of my favourite underrated songs is American Spring "It's Like Heaven" is one I song always hear the boys on in my head , and the Moog riff from bout 1:30 in sounds like it ended up on "Let Us Go On This Way"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=othG9M3ieVc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm a sucker for "Cool Head, Warm Heart", the Carl like "don't get stressed out" and the harmonies on tag towards then end are nice, don't know of that track gets much love around here.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2012, 05:47:46 PM »

Here She Comes.
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2012, 07:52:52 PM »

The "Live in London" versions of "Wake the World" and "Aren't You Glad" (A random thought  - imagine "Wild Honey" backed by Booker T & the MG's with the Memphis Horns!)

The "In Concert" versions of "Marcella" and "Funky Pretty" - They just rock more than the studio versions.  I love the drumming in FP.

"Had to Phone Ya" - Despite this being the unveiling of Brian's new voice this is a great little song.

"I'll Bet He's Nice" - Love the tag.

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2012, 08:57:51 AM »

It's probably been mentioned before but not nearly enough: "Tonight You Belong To Me" by The Honeys. I absolutely love Brian's arrangement and production!
EthanJClarke93
« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2012, 10:50:27 AM »

Let The Wind Blow
Do It Again
It's About Time
Slip on Through
Disney Girls
A Day in the Life With Trees
Til I Die
Student Demonstration Time
Leaving This Town
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2012, 10:54:41 AM »

I don't really see how Disney Girls is underrated.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2012, 11:05:38 AM »

'In The Parkin' Lot' - not surprising it gets ignored really, with Dont worry baby and Warmth of the Sun surrounding it, but this is a sublime early BB song: fantastic intro (and outro), a great vocal from Mike, and as for those chord changes on the chorus - woah momma!

Good one! It is overshadowed, but an essential part of Brian's "School Suite". police

1. "All Dressed Up For School"
2. "In The Parkin' Lot"
3. "Dance, Dance, Dance"
4. "Be True To Your School"
5. "Graduation Day"
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2012, 11:46:28 PM »

I don't really see how Disney Girls is underrated.

Nor are Do It Again or Til I Die. They're both quite reguarly celebrated as being awesome, by hardcore fans, casual fans and critics.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2012, 12:17:29 AM »

Plus Disney Girls has been played live for a while now, right (and Do It Again did very well in the charts back then, i believe so).
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2012, 12:30:37 AM »

It's probably been mentioned before but not nearly enough: "Tonight You Belong To Me" by The Honeys. I absolutely love Brian's arrangement and production!

Just reading this makes me want to dig out the Pet Projects comp! Very 60s and incredibly charming arrangement!
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2012, 11:40:36 PM »

I might be in minority of those who like Blondie and Ricky stuff. Special honor goes for Here She Comes. Also I always had a soft spot for Casual Look and Blueberry Hill. Regarding solo, the one I think is truly underrated is Night Time. Catchiness at the best possible way!

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx