gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
682039 Posts in 27673 Topics by 4096 Members - Latest Member: MrSunshine September 22, 2024, 01:07:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smile Voted 88th Best Album of the decade - Rolling Stone  (Read 8184 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 10:15:45 AM »

Kid A? Really? Always thought Radiohead used to be kind of a decent rock band, The Bends being the obvious highlight of an otherwise so-so discography, whereas most of their post-1995 foray into more "artistic" territory sounded rather dull and clichéd to these ears. (I have to admit, however, that I haven't really listened to any of their albums that came out past 2001's Amnesiac.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:18:39 AM by phirnis » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 10:36:07 AM »

Kid A? Really? Always thought Radiohead used to be kind of a decent rock band, The Bends being the obvious highlight of an otherwise so-so discography, whereas most of their post-1995 foray into more "artistic" territory sounded rather dull and clichéd to these ears. (I have to admit, however, that I haven't really listened to any of their albums that came out past 2001's Amnesiac.)

You're not missing much. More of the same...In Rainbows had less synths and more guitars, but the overall mood was pretty much the same as their other post-OK Computer albums.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 08:37:56 PM »

Check out the opening music/song on the HBO showing of RRHOF 25th anniv. program, showing right now on your television, HBO on demand.

They could have put any number of classics on as the opening notes and music over the photo montage.  But they choose the most spiritual and haunting piece from the most fabled of all albums.

Lists be damned.    This speaks volumes.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 08:54:50 PM »

Check out the opening music/song on the HBO showing of RRHOF 25th anniv. program, showing right now on your television, HBO on demand.

They could have put any number of classics on as the opening notes and music over the photo montage.  But they choose the most spiritual and haunting piece from the most fabled of all albums.

It also demonstrates what a big fan Cameron Crowe is (he's the one who selected the music for all the film clips).
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 09:08:38 PM »

touche
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 10:11:52 PM »

Green Day's "American Idiot" should have at least been in the Top5 on that list........

No question on just how good that CD really is.

There is certainly room for question if you didn't particularly agree with the view point of that album...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2009, 12:50:10 AM »

edit...Read all posts.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:52:03 AM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2009, 06:40:37 AM »

Which one is it? I don't have sound here.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2009, 08:07:02 AM »

Which one is it? I don't have sound here.

This was discussed in the ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME CONCERT thread, but "Our Prayer" was used to open the broadcast. Cameron Crowe prepared different short film clips to cover different genres of rock/pop and included the Beach Boys track to accompany stills of Crosby, Stills & Nash and others who represented Southern California. Although not featured at the beginning of either of the concerts themselves, "Our Prayer" was used to open the HBO broadcast - a nice choice! Crowe, you might recall, used "Feel Flows" during the end credits of his 2000 film ALMOST FAMOUS. Also, his wife, Nancy Wilson, has performed with Darian S. as part of Heart.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 08:20:45 AM »

Now...THAT I did not know!  Crowe and Wilson?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 08:52:56 AM »

Now...THAT I did not know!  Crowe and Wilson?

Same here. I did not know that Cameron and Brian are an item. Where does Tandyn Almer figure in all of this?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 10:47:11 PM »

Kid A and Amnesiac are Radiohead's two best albums imo! And I must say that most people on here would dig Sufjan Stevens Illinois album I am sure.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx