gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681689 Posts in 27656 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 28, 2024, 02:41:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New live Brian EP just released...  (Read 8723 times)
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« on: May 21, 2009, 11:04:16 AM »

How did we miss this? Huh

Released the same day as SUMMER LOVE SONGS...

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=314023995&s=143441

http://mp3.rhapsody.com/brian-wilson/that-lucky-old-sun-aol-sessions

... guess it's a digital-only release.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 11:09:14 AM »

I really really H A T E download-only releases.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 11:15:57 AM »

Only available in the US.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 11:18:01 AM »

and - o how lovely - US-customers only?

well, maybe I-tunes will work...

EDIT: hm, AGD outbeat me already on that...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 11:19:05 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 11:19:31 AM »

I've been by Brian's site frequently this week, & there's been no mention of the live EP, which makes no sense.  Seems his management is giving the impression that they don't care about it.  With current record sales, you'd figure they'd milk/promote his EP relentlessly.  Oh well.

A question:  Does anyone have a date for when the EP was recorded?  Thanks,

Jeremy
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 11:47:06 AM »

and - o how lovely - US-customers only?

well, maybe I-tunes will work...

EDIT: hm, AGD outbeat me already on that...

try Amazon mp3  Smiley

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 11:52:26 AM »

Does anyone have a date for when the EP was recorded?

Wasn't it February of this year?

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 11:53:39 AM »

I've been by Brian's site frequently this week, & there's been no mention of the live EP, which makes no sense.  Seems his management is giving the impression that they don't care about it.  With current record sales, you'd figure they'd milk/promote his EP relentlessly.  Oh well.

The problem with Brian's management imho is that they think Brian's name will sell it and therefor there's no need for promotion. BTW I have the feeling that all Beach Boys think that about themselve. That's why some are still trying to get their album released by a major label.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JB Wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 11:59:22 AM »

Jeremy

If Brian & Co. licensed it to Capitol, it seems that the label wants to keep their promo and marketing focus on the new album, and  not have a live 'bonus' EP, relating to a catalog item, be a distraction and dilute their efforts.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 12:29:41 PM »

The problem with Brian's management imho is that they think Brian's name will sell it and therefor there's no need for promotion. BTW I have the feeling that all Beach Boys think that about themselve. That's why some are still trying to get their album released by a major label.

The problem with Brian's management is much simpler, and scarier, than that - they simply don't have the least idea of how to handle his career. About the only thing they've ever done right is get BWPS into the shops while the momentum was still rolling. They've not had a coherent, concerted touring policy since 2005, in the States anyway, they can't secure Brian a multi-release deal with any label and their recent handling of the band has been deplorable. They seem hooked on the concept of Brian as a major-league player when he is, if anything, a cult figure. I for one find it as amusing as it is ironic that the 'greatest hits' tours (which he hates, btw) consist almost entirely of Beach Boys material. Anything from Imagination or GIOMH ?  Nope. Take away the TLOS songs, and what you've got is, essentially, a Mike & Bruce setlist. Yet M&B get reviled for this, while Brian doesn't. Go figure.

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 12:36:45 PM »

their recent handling of the band has been deplorable.

What do you mean by the above?

And why do you think BW hates the greatest hits tours?

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 12:48:15 PM »

Because an artist's favorite songs aren't necessarily his best selling singles?
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 01:08:44 PM »

Hypehat is right, you can find it at Amazon in the music downloads section.  $4.99, just like Rhapsody.

It is odd the bl00 doesn't mention it, they're usually all over Brian's latest product like a cheap suit.  They'll fix that soon I'm sure, even conceding Andrew's points.  It IS a Capitol release, according to Amazon.

Tech tip for downloaders: it's a 256 kbps mp3, sort of mid-quality. All mp3 files build in a 1/20 sec. pause at the start of each file, hence the "mp3 blip" you hear at each track marker when you play the tracks in sequence and they segue, a la "Smile" or "TLOS".  To remove it, you have to have a program like Sound Forge to (1) load in the tracks; (2) convert them to WAV files; (3) cut them together to edit out the "blips", (3) re-insert track divisions if you glommed it all togther as one track; and (4) burn to CD.  Bit of a pain but it works.

Fortunately, you don't have to do that with this one, all the tracks are separated, none segue together.  Performance-wise, it's OK.  I like the NPR live recording better.

I'd be a lot happier if they offered a FLAC of it (no lossy compression, no blips).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 02:41:01 PM by Dr. Tim » Logged

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 01:30:43 PM »

their recent handling of the band has been deplorable.

What do you mean by the above?

Jim & Bob.

Don't think - know. Confirmed several times by folk who would know. New material engages him. GH doesn't, and it shows. Kenwood, anyone ?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 01:33:20 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 02:35:02 PM »

Because an artist's favorite songs aren't necessarily his best selling singles?
"Why don't you go tell Bob Seger that!"
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 03:58:08 PM »

The problem with Brian's management is much simpler, and scarier, than that - they simply don't have the least idea of how to handle his career. About the only thing they've ever done right is get BWPS into the shops while the momentum was still rolling. They've not had a coherent, concerted touring policy since 2005, in the States anyway, they can't secure Brian a multi-release deal with any label and their recent handling of the band has been deplorable. They seem hooked on the concept of Brian as a major-league player when he is, if anything, a cult figure. I for one find it as amusing as it is ironic that the 'greatest hits' tours (which he hates, btw) consist almost entirely of Beach Boys material. Anything from Imagination or GIOMH ?  Nope. Take away the TLOS songs, and what you've got is, essentially, a Mike & Bruce setlist. Yet M&B get reviled for this, while Brian doesn't. Go figure.

By your informed opinion, do you see any reason to think that all this will play itself out and Brian will overcome his 'management' and get his way at this point in the game, AGD?

It would be great to see Brian do tours showcasing his stronger solo stuff, maybe even uncovering some hidden gems by way of better arrangements than the album versions.. plus a smattering of Brian's choice of deep beach boys album cuts.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 04:01:31 PM by variable2 » Logged
JB Wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 04:17:55 PM »

Tech tip for downloaders: it's a 256 kbps mp3, sort of mid-quality. All mp3 files build in a 1/20 sec. pause at the start of each file, hence the "mp3 blip" you hear at each track marker when you play the tracks in sequence and they segue, a la "Smile" or "TLOS".  To remove it, you have to have a program like Sound Forge to (1) load in the tracks;

(2) convert them to WAV files;

(3) cut them together to edit out the "blips", (3) re-insert track divisions if you glommed it all togther as one track; and (4) burn to CD.  Bit of a pain but it works.

RE: Step 2 - Why convert them to WAV files? Sound Forge can open, edit and save MP3's.

JBW
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 05:15:46 PM »

True, all these programs open, edit and save mp3's -- but to get rid of the "bliips" you have to resample the mp3 file as a full-bandwidth WAV file and save it that way.  Otherwise when you resave the file as an mp3 the blips come right back again - since ALL mp3s begin with a 1/20 sec. blip!

But like I said, if the tracks are separated by a short space, you meedn't go to all this trouble as you won't hear anything in between the tracks.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 05:17:20 PM by Dr. Tim » Logged

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
JB Wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »

True, all these programs open, edit and save mp3's -- but to get rid of the "bliips" you have to resample the mp3 file as a full-bandwidth WAV file and save it that way.  Otherwise when you resave the file as an mp3 the blips come right back again - since ALL mp3s begin with a 1/20 sec. blip!

But like I said, if the tracks are separated by a short space, you meedn't go to all this trouble as you won't hear anything in between the tracks.

Got it.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 07:51:46 PM »

AGD, Serious question: do you think the situation will improve in the future, either in the studio or live and why?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 07:52:42 PM by TdHabib » Logged

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 08:16:15 PM »

AGD, Serious question: do you think the situation will improve in the future, either in the studio or live and why?

that's pretty much what i asked.. i'd like to hear AGD on the topic
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 06:01:06 AM »

Don't think - know. Confirmed several times by folk who would know. New material engages him. GH doesn't, and it shows. Kenwood, anyone ?

I could understand this. He's doing these songs for decades now and probably has some bad memories connected with them. But why doesn't he change the setlist? He's in the position now to do so. In the Beach Boys it was another game, because there were 5 others who could outvote him. But now he's the one responsible for everything. Even if he has help from his people, in the end it all comes down to him.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 06:14:52 AM »

New material engages him. GH doesn't, and it shows.

From my vantage point in the audience, I agree.  During the first set, he seems less interested, but during SMILE or LUCKY OLD SUN, he's far more engaged.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 07:07:44 AM »

In my opinion, I think the reason that Brian doesn't build his concerts around his solo material is obvious.

First, it would hurt ticket sales. Yes, there is a large percentage of people who will go to Brian's concerts to see Brian, and they are interested in ALL of his work, including the solo stuff and Beach Boys' rarities. But, I don't think Brian could sustain a solo touring career based entirely on that audience.

I think there is a significant percentage who think, "Hey, he's the guy who wrote all of those Beach Boys' songs. Let's go and hear some of those old classics. Those Beach Boys' songs are great." Brian needs that group of people also.

I think there's a third reason, which is also my opinion. I don't think Brian particularly cares for his solo albums. I rarely hear or read him refer to those albums/songs. And, think about it, how many songs from each album would be worth performing? Three at the most? Well, that would kill about about a half an hour of a show. And, I wonder what the reception from the audience would be? You could almost hear them counting until the next Beach Boys' classic is performed.

Just to piggyback on AGD's point about Brian's sets appearing a lot like Mike & Bruce's....Obviously I agree. To some people, what Brian is doing (the solo thing) makes sense. But, to me anyway, I still ask, "What's the point?" Both his concerts - and his albums - sound like The Beach Boys, but he doesn't want to be with the Beach Boys. I continue to wonder....
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 09:57:51 AM »

I could understand this. He's doing these songs for decades now and probably has some bad memories connected with them. But why doesn't he change the setlist? He's in the position now to do so. In the Beach Boys it was another game, because there were 5 others who could outvote him. But now he's the one responsible for everything. Even if he has help from his people, in the end it all comes down to him.

Does it? I've often found myself wondering... if he does indeed favor records like Love You (or Friends) over other BB material, why don't we get to hear much more of that in concert? Why wouldn't he play songs like "Solar System", "Mona", "Airplane", and "Roller Skating Child"?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx