gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
682048 Posts in 27674 Topics by 4096 Members - Latest Member: MrSunshine September 28, 2024, 01:47:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: John Lennon singing "Lonely Sea"  (Read 5335 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 25, 2009, 12:10:36 AM »

Supposedly there is a boot or recording floating around somewhere with John Lennon on piano playing "Lonely Sea".  I'm not sure what the facts (if any) are on this, but does anyone know anything about it and have any information? 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 12:18:20 AM »

Supposedly there is a boot or recording floating around somewhere with John Lennon on piano playing "Lonely Sea".  I'm not sure what the facts (if any) are on this, but does anyone know anything about it and have any information? 

I don't own it. I mean: I really don't have it... Sad

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 12:33:33 AM »

I don't own it. I mean: I really don't have it... Sad

Nope, you don't. Cause no-one does. Cause it doesn't exist. The myth says that during the Let It Be sessions John played "TLS" between takes on his guitar. Friend of mine, who should really get a life, sat through ALL the pertinent boots, including the Nagra reels... and the closest he could find was when JL was noodling on guitar and played a chord progression that vaguely resembled "TLS" - and about a gazillion other late 50s/early 60s ballads. No vocal, no piano, just a basic pop chord progression. He wasn't best pleased, I'll tell ya.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 11:12:04 PM »

I heard it and I think it IS The Lonely Sea. John does Brian's high "sea".
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 08:22:36 PM »

Theres another multiple page thread on this, do a quick search. More info there.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 06:37:49 AM »

The claim is made in the Drugs, Divorce, and a Slipping Image book.  That should tell where to look for it, whatever it is.

It's worth pointing out that the Beach Boys' music made very, very little impact in England until they blew up big in '64 or '65, and I don't think songs like "The Lonely Sea" got much attention unless maybe John happened to catch a full, original print of "Girls On The Beach"...

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 07:25:31 AM »

It's worth pointing out that the Beach Boys' music made very, very little impact in England until they blew up big in '64 or '65, and I don't think songs like "The Lonely Sea" got much attention unless maybe John happened to catch a full, original print of "Girls On The Beach"...

"The Lonely Sea" was on the "Surfin' Safari" LP which came out in the UK in 1965 and got to #17, and then on the UK version of "Best Of The Beach Boys Vol. 3" which got to #8 in 1968. So it's really not that unlikely that John knew the song.

Furthermore, John was a rock star, he travelled the world and he was on the same label as The Beach Boys in the US, so he was probably familiar with their music before most other people in the UK were.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 07:34:58 AM by shelter » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 07:30:04 AM »

"The Lonely Sea" was on the "Surfin' Safari" LP which came out in the UK in 1965 and got to #17, and then on the UK version of "Best Of The Beach Boys Vol. 3" which got to #8 in 1968. So it's really not that unlikely that John knew the song.

Do you mean "Surfin USA"? Or was the tracklist changed for a UK-release ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 07:36:29 AM »

Sorry, yeah. I meant "Surfin' USA".
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 07:37:23 AM by shelter » Logged
XY
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 10:23:47 AM »

I think this is the right place to post again this great Lennon quote from Nov '65. Sounds like he immediately ran out of the house to buy all BB records after listening to "The Little Girl I Once Knew":

"This is the greatest! Turn it up, turn it right up. It's GOT to be a hit. It's the greatest record I've heard for weeks. It's fantastic. I hope it will be a hit. It's all Brian Wilson. He just uses the voices as instruments. He never tours or anything. He just sits at home thinking up fantastic arrangements our of his head. Doesn't even read music. You keep waiting for the fabulous breaks. Great arrangement. It goes on and on with all different things. I hope it's a hit so I can hear it all the time."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 10:25:34 AM »

At the risk of  Dead Horse, I've heard the alleged performance... and the semblance to "TLS" is at best passing. It's just JL noodling on his guitar between takes, going though some late 50s/early 60s changes common to roughly every ballad ever released then. Now, if he'd sung the lyric, that would be something. But he doesn't. Sometimes, you hear what you want to hear, not what's actually there. "I buried Paul"... or "Cranberry sauce" ?

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 11:15:32 AM »

I buried Paul's cranberry sauce.............so he could take it with him to the afterlife........
MBE
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 07:50:21 PM »

I think the reason I disagree with you Andrew is because of how the guitar sounds tonally. It has a kind of reverb on it that make me think Beach Boys.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 08:04:49 PM »

I remember when we had a thread on this awhile back, and after I listened to it, it seemed quite obvious that John was just playing a standard 50's/60's chord progression in the same key as "Lonely Sea." 

Like AGD said, if Lennon had sung a lyric along with it, we may have something.  But hearing him just play a standard I - VII - VI - V progression and inferring that he was playing a particular song that happens to share that progression seems a bit of a stretch to me.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 07:37:17 AM »

if Lennon had sung a lyric along with it, we may have something.

May?  Huh

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 06:47:22 PM »

if Lennon had sung a lyric along with it, we may have something.

May?  Huh

Okay, we would have something.  But obviously we don't.
mtaber
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 07:29:38 PM »

Don't know about Lennon and "The Lonely Sea" but John is absolutely right in regards to TLGIOK.  Absolutely tremendous record... would've been much bigger hit if not for AM radio's fear of the "dead air" parts...
MBE
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 09:23:13 PM »

Well I'm still convinced he's doing it going simply by my own ears.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 09:50:38 PM »

Have you heard the whole Nagra reel, or just the isolated clip that's supposed to be "TLS"  ?  John noodles on guitar for quite a while, going through a whole bunch of chord changes. Hear it in isolation, and yes, mildly persuasive... hear it in context and no, not at all.

BTW, this thread is titled "Lennon singing "Lonely Sea"" - which he doesn't, I think you have to agree ?

MBE
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 11:19:55 PM »

Hmm I don't remember now. Some much of that Get Back stuff is hard to sit through. Again I think he was screwing around with it mainly because of his making a Brian like "Sea" vocal and like I mentioned above the reverb.  It isn't an easy call that's for sure but I think he may have half remembered it. If pressed I would have to say that's my opinion on it but this isn't clear cut and I can't say you are wrong either. I will have to listen again as it's been at least a year or so.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 01:27:33 AM »

I don't know anything about Lennon doing Lonely Sea but on Neil Young's great new album (Fork in the Road), track 7 - "Off the Road" sounds  slightly familiar?Huh

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 04:57:38 AM »

Have you heard the whole Nagra reel, or just the isolated clip that's supposed to be "TLS"  ?  John noodles on guitar for quite a while, going through a whole bunch of chord changes. Hear it in isolation, and yes, mildly persuasive... hear it in context and no, not at all.

BTW, this thread is titled "Lennon singing "Lonely Sea"" - which he doesn't, I think you have to agree ?

Playing/singing...whatever.  You guys knew what I meant.  :-)

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx