gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681551 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 06:24:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boys' canceled 4th of July gig in Leningrad, USSR, 1978  (Read 2397 times)
Jason
« on: March 30, 2009, 09:59:57 AM »

Browsing through Andrew Doe's and Ian Rusten's excellent research on Andrew's website, I came across this little bit of information - the Boys in the USSR in '78 with Joan Baez and Santana?

Why was this gig canceled? And what exactly led up to this gig even being planned in the first place? I understand it was one thing for Billy Joel to go there in 1987 when the Curtain was about to fall, but in 1978 I'm sure things were quite different.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 11:20:52 AM »

i have an old billboard from 1978 that discusses this very question of yours. i will try to find it and send a copy to you.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 02:48:48 PM »

It was a small thing called the invasion of Afghanistan by the Soviet Union, which led to the U.S. not going to the summer Olympic Games in Moscow, the Beach Boys cancelling their concert, and so on.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 04:43:05 PM »

the concert had already been postponed a month to july 4th. i have that issue also somewhere in the house. here is the article in the july 8th issue of billboard. i do remember some magazines reported the soviet union had 2nd thoughts about an event with so many soviet youth and seeing/wanted more freedom. don't remember for sure if that was the main reason but i do remember reading some articles stating that. i have more magazines dealing with the event being axed but i have to find them. hope this helped a little.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 05:03:22 PM by Steve Mayo » Logged

Jason
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 07:52:46 PM »

It was a small thing called the invasion of Afghanistan by the Soviet Union, which led to the U.S. not going to the summer Olympic Games in Moscow, the Beach Boys cancelling their concert, and so on.

That makes sense...totally slipped my mind. And then two years later on the 4th of July Michael and Al were singing the praises of bombing the Afghans out of the sky. Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 09:58:55 PM »

In the otherwise almost useless Dean Anthony book, there's at least one photo of the band wearing silver tour jackets with the venue and date on them.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 11:22:23 PM »

Shame, though....if I'm correct, this would have marked the second time they played in Eastern Europe, first being the Czechoslovakia stop. It seems like they've made no effort to go back since.

Speaking of concerts in non-Western areas, didn't the Boys play a concert in Israel a while back?
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 03:34:14 PM »

The Soviet invasion occurred in 1979, pretty late I believe. So, unless the Beach Boys had some top secret KGB intelligence information  a year earlier, my guess is thats not the cause of the cancellation.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 07:58:53 PM »

save this scan to someplace like desktop then click on it. zoom in if needed. reason soviets axed the beach boys. from aug 1978 bbfun
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 08:07:17 PM by Steve Mayo » Logged

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 12:38:19 AM »

Thanks for posting that scan, Steve.  Wow, toward the bottom it says "A Rap From Mike Love".  Sounds interesting.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx