gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 03:42:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Caribou vs Capitol  (Read 1397 times)
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2009, 01:13:46 AM »

Perhaps someone can enlighten me. The 'Brother LPs' (1970s) were reissued on Caribou-CBS-Sony on LP (1980s) and then on CD (1990 ish). At some point they then went over to Capitol/EMI, where they were reissed in 2001. Coupla questions:

1. How, when and why did this happen?

2. If they had stayed with Caribou/Sony, would they have had the deluxe reissue treatment they (mostly) deserve as per POB (2 CDs per LP instead of the other way round), plus Vic Anesini's superb mastering?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 05:29:40 AM »

Perhaps someone can enlighten me. The 'Brother LPs' (1970s) were reissued on Caribou-CBS-Sony on LP (1980s) and then on CD (1990 ish). At some point they then went over to Capitol/EMI, where they were reissed in 2001. Coupla questions:

2. If they had stayed with Caribou/Sony, would they have had the deluxe reissue treatment they (mostly) deserve as per POB (2 CDs per LP instead of the other way round), plus Vic Anesini's superb mastering?

1.  The Beach Boys actually hold the rights to those LPs, and they leased them originally to Caribou/Sony, and then later to Capitol. 

2.  Probably not. 
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 08:57:09 AM »

1.  The Beach Boys actually hold the rights to those LPs, and they leased them originally to Caribou/Sony, and then later to Capitol. 

2.  Probably not. 
And...Caribou as a record label was pretty much a defunct entity after the late '80's or early '90's. Jim Guercio recently revived the Caribou label, and got back into the record business himself, specifically to see to it that Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue/Bambu would be a major release in 2008. I guess that worked out pretty well.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 10:11:18 AM »

I think Columbia only has done the Legacy deluxe treatment with their own catalogue.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx