gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 01:43:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stereo Pet Sounds  (Read 13769 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2010, 02:05:36 AM »

Everyone's missing an important point: Brian never intended for us to hear that solo vocal. The only reason there's not a doubled stereo vocal is because he added the 2nd vocal track during mixdown, I suspect because he belatedly realised the single vocal was sub-par.

That sounds plausible. To my ears, there are 2 points in the vocal that are clunkers when isolated, one worse than the other (in the 2nd verse). The theory about a vulnerable overall effect being created by purposeful imperfection is quite interesting, but at the end of the day I don't buy it in this case, even though there is ample evidence that "flaws" of various kinds were tolerated if he heard, as no one else often could, something in them that would enhance the intended atmosphere of the track.

It's a fact of human nature to divine a meaning, or an intent where there actually is none. I'm reminded of an exchange during a Grand Prix between the legendary pairing of Murray Walker and former world champion James Hunt:

Murray: "Well James, I'm guessing for this corner you change down to second, ease off the throttle, a light tap on the brakes, just clip the apex and exit just off the racing line to set the car up for the next hairpin."

James: "Actually Murray, it's eyes closed and welly to the floor all the way through."

For some other classic Murrayisms, check this out: http://murraywalkerisms.tripod.com/
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 02:08:47 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2010, 02:11:21 AM »

Everyone's missing an important point: Brian never intended for us to hear that solo vocal. The only reason there's not a doubled stereo vocal is because he added the 2nd vocal track during mixdown, I suspect because he belatedly realised the single vocal was sub-par.

That sounds plausible. To my ears, there are 2 points in the vocal that are clunkers when isolated, one worse than the other (in the 2nd verse). The theory about a vulnerable overall effect being created by purposeful imperfection is quite interesting, but at the end of the day I don't buy it in this case, even though there is ample evidence that "flaws" of various kinds were tolerated if he heard, as no one else often could, something in them that would enhance the intended atmosphere of the track.

It's a fact of human nature to divine a meaning, or an intent where there actually is none. I'm reminded of an exchange during a Grand Prix between the legendary pairing of Murray Walker and former world champion James Hunt:

Murray: "Well James, I'm guessing for this corner you change down to second, ease off the throttle, a light tap on the brakes, just clip the apex and exit just off the racing line to set the car up for the next hairpin."

James: "Actually Murray, it's eyes closed and welly to the floor all the way through."

For some other classic Murrayisms, check this out: http://murraywalkerisms.tripod.com/

Brilliant! LOL I myself have noticed such mental 'fill-ins' from soccer commentators more and more over the years. We tend to get a whole Freudian explanation of what a player experienced just prior to, and making a great goal. In my youth, it was much more the James Hunt-style, but nowadays it's decidedly à la Walker...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2010, 02:21:01 AM »

Brilliant! LOL I myself have noticed such mental 'fill-ins' from soccer commentators more and more over the years. We tend to get a whole Freudian explanation of what a player experienced just prior to, and making a great goal. In my youth, it was much more the James Hunt-style, but nowadays it's decidedly à la Walker...

I think the classic one of all time was from the lips of Harry Carpenter (who sadly died last week) while commentating on the Ali-Foreman fight in Zaire. Ali was on the ropes taking a fearful pounding and Harry shouted "Can Ali possibly come back from this, it looks like he's got nothing left !" - the very next second Ali came off the ropes and floored Foreman with an electrifying combination.

Oddly, that line of commentary was removed from any rebroadcast.  Smiley

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2010, 05:13:58 PM »

Okay, I'm just going to put this out there....

Is it possible Brian may have purposely "stretched" the key in places on that first pass, so the doubling would sound a little more....um, human rather than mechanical?  I've suspected this for some time, but it really hit home for me when I heard the new stereo mix of "She Knows Me Too Well" with the single lead vocal.  That one doesn't have key issues so much, but there are some general rough spots that got covered by the doubled vocal.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2010, 05:20:59 PM »

Is it possible Brian may have purposely "stretched" the key in places on that first pass, so the doubling would sound a little more....um, human rather than mechanical?  I've suspected this for some time, but it really hit home for me when I heard the new stereo mix of "She Knows Me Too Well" with the single lead vocal.  That one doesn't have key issues so much, but there are some general rough spots that got covered by the doubled vocal.

I don't buy that Brian did it intentionally, at least not in the way that you are suggesting...he knew that he didn't need to be perfectly on key doing the first vocal because once he laid down the double, the flaws would be covered up and create the more "human" effect you describe.  I suppose I'm saying that I agree and disagree with you at the same time...Brian was intentionally lax in his singing, but not necessarily singing off key on purpose.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2010, 09:32:44 PM »

i prefer stereo on some, mono on others.  Also depends if it's like cd or vinyl.  Vinyl def mono.

i think wouldn't it be nice is def better in stereo.  there's so much going on, giving everything space definitely helps it out. 

and i prefer you still believe in me cause i actually like the single track vocal more than double for that tune. 
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2010, 08:36:05 PM »

I don't buy that Brian did it intentionally, at least not in the way that you are suggesting...he knew that he didn't need to be perfectly on key doing the first vocal because once he laid down the double, the flaws would be covered up and create the more "human" effect you describe.  I suppose I'm saying that I agree and disagree with you at the same time...Brian was intentionally lax in his singing, but not necessarily singing off key on purpose.

Well, maybe he wasn't deliberately singing off-key, but rather cutting corners...You know, "that take could've been a little more polished, but it'll be okay stacked against the second pass".  I guess that's what I was getting at.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2010, 12:49:09 AM »

Well, maybe he wasn't deliberately singing off-key, but rather cutting corners...You know, "that take could've been a little more polished, but it'll be okay stacked against the second pass".  I guess that's what I was getting at.

Good theory, but somewhat undermined by his waiting to do the 2nd vocal until the track was being mixed.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx