gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 07:31:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The last instance of Brian's "classic" vocals  (Read 26093 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 06:12:43 PM »

Nah, it's always great to have something else to hope for.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 06:15:06 PM »

Nah, it's always great to have something else to hope for.

I know, I was only joking... but I just wish he was able to tell us what song it was at least... although I totally understand why he can't.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 06:23:18 PM »

I would do horrible, unspeakable things just to know what song it is!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 06:23:43 PM »

If it was 1975, it had to have been real early in the year. Feb. at the very latest.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2008, 07:32:49 PM »

I think it was December '74, but I'm not 100% sure.  I could be remembering wrong.  It's in the back of my mind.

Sorry about the tease thing.  Occasionally I happen to be able to hear stuff like this from one source or another just by being in right place/right time, but part of that is people knowing I'm not going to try to gain access or bootleg or talk too much.  It just struck me that this thread came up not long after I'd heard this particular track, so I just wanted to pass along that tidbit.
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2008, 07:43:57 PM »

If it was 1975, it had to have been real early in the year. Feb. at the very latest.

So, is March '75 when Brian is supposed to have started trying to destroy his voice?  And did he do that through the five-packs-of-cigs-a-day method? 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2008, 07:50:22 PM »

I think it was December '74, but I'm not 100% sure.  I could be remembering wrong.  It's in the back of my mind.

Sorry about the tease thing.  Occasionally I happen to be able to hear stuff like this from one source or another just by being in right place/right time, but part of that is people knowing I'm not going to try to gain access or bootleg or talk too much.  It just struck me that this thread came up not long after I'd heard this particular track, so I just wanted to pass along that tidbit.
No, it's totally cool. We--or I, at the very least, but I think we--were just messing with you.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MBE
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2008, 07:52:30 PM »

Hard Times AKA Rolling Up To Heaven aka Ding Dang (dirty version).

So "Hard Times" was also a alternate title for "Rolling Up To Heaven"? Isn't there a Chaplin/Fataar song from the around the same time also titled "Hard Times"?
That song is "Hard Time" singular. Hard Times seems to be what Brian is saying. I think it was a dirty joke "She gave me Hard Times". Anyway Badman named it that in his book.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2008, 07:54:39 PM »

No, it's totally cool. We--or I, at the very least, but I think we--were just messing with you.

Yep, I'm with you Luther... as I say I totally understand why you can't tell us too much... and I was only joking before, I would much rather know that there is more stuff to be heard (as Luther mentioned before)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2008, 07:56:30 PM »

So, is March '75 when Brian is supposed to have started trying to destroy his voice?  And did he do that through the five-packs-of-cigs-a-day method? 

I'm not sure if anyone knows the exact date that he started destroying his voice, but as people have mentioned, in late '74 he still had some of his old voice, so it was AROUND that time... but yes I imagine the five packs a day method didn't do him any good... there's that story in Timothy White's book where funnily enough it's Dennis who is telling Brian to quit smoking all the time.
MBE
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2008, 08:09:03 PM »

Oh yes I heard about that "In The Back Of My Mind". I forgot who told me about it but I remember they described it as "heartbreaking". Badman lists it, "Clangin" and a song sung by Mike called "11th Bar Blues" as being from October 1976. I kind of doubt that but "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" is from around that time and he sort of goes back and forth on that. Really though on YLTLF he is much shriller then any pre 1975 vocal. Let's say the "In The Back Of My Mind" is from after the Caribou sessions and before Back Home.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:16:05 PM by MBE » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2008, 08:31:54 PM »

I was going to start a different thread, but I guess it can go here. Does anybody know what the last circulating recording of Brian is that has his "classic", "pure" falsetto/ high voice?  I mean, out of all the demo tapes and studio recordings. Are there any demo recordings circulating from 1974? We know from certain people that the demo of California Feeling(November 1974) has Brian sounding like his old self. But we can't know for sure because it's not been bootlegged. Now, what is the first known instance (that we have audio proof of) that has Brian in his significantly changed voice?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2008, 08:58:10 PM »

Didn't read the whole thread.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:59:33 PM by John » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2008, 09:10:28 PM »

I was going to start a different thread, but I guess it can go here. Does anybody know what the last circulating recording of Brian is that has his "classic", "pure" falsetto/ high voice?  I mean, out of all the demo tapes and studio recordings. Are there any demo recordings circulating from 1974? We know from certain people that the demo of California Feeling(November 1974) has Brian sounding like his old self. But we can't know for sure because it's not been bootlegged. Now, what is the first known instance (that we have audio proof of) that has Brian in his significantly changed voice?

It it's the song Adam's mentioning. I 've never heard it, but heard of it.  Mike, so Brian did "In the Back of my mind"? A remake, I mean? I knew of a song Brian recorded in the time period you mentioned, but I didn't know.
Everything I've learned (which is not everything there is, not by a long shot) leads me to believe that first came Lucy Jones & California Feeling (I think they were recorded the same day), then "Adam's song" then "MBE'S song", then Back Home was the debut of Brian's "new" voice. Clanging was earlier in the year. I've never heard that either.

I also stand corrected. The song you're referring to was in March of 1975.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2008, 09:41:34 PM »

Bill Adam said it was "In The Back Of My Mind" a few posts after his original so he and I are talking about the same song. I never heard it.

Jay again it was "Hard Times" that is the last circulating recording of Brian in really pure voice.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2008, 11:44:29 PM »

Oh, I thought he meant it was "in the back of his mind" like he couldn't remember. LOL

MBE
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2008, 02:04:35 AM »

Subtle tip off I think lol.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2008, 12:20:51 PM »

While we're talking about Brian's voice over the years, I'd like to share this link to a 1985 performance of "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring" for Reagan's inauguration with all of the surviving Beach Boys at the time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vy4eVYJQrs&feature=related. I'm sure some of you have already heard it, but hopefully those who haven't will really enjoy it.  It's great watching Brian go all out to capture the old magic of his falsetto with his arm around his brother, Carl. Just watch his face towards the end of the song, as his falsetto becomes stronger and stronger. He seems to completely shock Mike with the strength of his voice during the "whole year round" bit at the end. The facial expression on Mike's face at that point will make you like him a little more as a person (for those of you who hate him or look down on him), trust me. The date of this performance was just over a year after Dennis had died, and it seems like he must have been on their minds that night.

It's funny, the first time I watched this, I was really, really high, and it was incredibly poignant to me. I probably have an inflated view of the performance now, but whatever...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2008, 12:55:58 PM »

It's funny, the first time I watched this, I was really, really high, and it was incredibly poignant to me. I probably have an inflated view of the performance now, but whatever...

Oh no, it's fantastic. I saw it the night it was performed and it floored me, too. I've read opinions saying that parts of the performance were overdubbed or whatever, but I don't think so. Does anybody have definitive proof either way?
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2008, 03:06:09 PM »

Oh no, it's fantastic. I saw it the night it was performed and it floored me, too. I've read opinions saying that parts of the performance were overdubbed or whatever, but I don't think so. Does anybody have definitive proof either way?

No proof that I know of, but my ears tell me the whole thing is clearly pre-recorded.  It doesn't have a very "natural" sound to it.  And either way, the version from '65 blows this one out of the water.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2008, 03:43:39 PM »

I think it's live.. what you are probably hearing is Bruce doubling Brian on the lead.  You can hear it best when they hold out "round" near the end.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2008, 03:53:14 PM »

I think that Brian's voice on the Live in Knebworth concert has a bit of a change to it....Take for instance, his vocals on Sloop John B, I can totally hear Brian from 88 doing that same exact vocal.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2008, 06:40:19 PM »

I think it's live.. what you are probably hearing is Bruce doubling Brian on the lead.  You can hear it best when they hold out "round" near the end.

That could be it,  you're right.  There is definitely some doubling in there, so that led me to assume it was pre-recorded. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2008, 06:45:55 PM »

I heard (maybe from AGD but I'm not 100% on that one) that they're singing on top of a pre-recorded track. So it's like live overdubbing.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2008, 07:18:12 PM »

I heard (maybe from AGD but I'm not 100% on that one) that they're singing on top of a pre-recorded track. So it's like live overdubbing.

I remember reading that on one of the boards too.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx