gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681500 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 09:56:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'A World Of Peace Must Come' - it does! In September  (Read 13759 times)
XY
« on: August 03, 2008, 01:02:45 AM »

World of Peace Must Come
Stephen John Kalinich

A World Of Peace Must Come was recorded at Brian's house in Bel-Air in 1969. The tapes were promptly lost, not to be heard again until now. For the first time this truly timeless snapshot of an era and an ethos will be available nationally, and we can only hope that his prophecy is fulfilled.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CLG6UE
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 01:03:02 AM »

Sweet!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 01:11:07 AM »

This still comes as quite a (pleasant) surprise. Thought it was going to be released as Kalinich/Wilson, however.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 01:52:16 AM »

Wow this is really cool. Another release to look forward to Smiley I wonder though if as a bonus it will have just the instrumental tracks?
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 05:23:22 AM »

This still comes as quite a (pleasant) surprise. Thought it was going to be released as Kalinich/Wilson, however.

Apparently, so did whoever wrote the item description, since it makes mention of it being recorded 'at Brian's house', but no mention anywhere on the rest of the page of who Brian is.
XY
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 05:51:06 AM »

A WORLD OF PEACE MUST COME (INTRO)
CANDY FACE LANE
I AM WAITING/THE BIRTH OF GOD
THE DEER, THE ELK, THE RAVEN
THE MAGIC HAND
LONELY MAN
BE STILL
WALK ALONG WITH LOVE
A WORLD OF PEACE MUST COME
IF YOU KNEW
AMERICA, I KNOW YOU
A WORLD OF PEACE MUST COME (OUTRO)
LEAVES OF GRASS (BONUS TRACK)

http://www.cargo-records.de/de/p3208/id/35308/katalog.html

Unreleased Brian Wilson album due for release

Written by Mark Thompson

Dating back to 1969 a "lost" album by Beach Boy Brian Wilson has been unearthed and is set for release on October 6th.
Entitled A World of Peace Must Come, the album was recorded at Wilson's home in August 1969 and is described as a collection of "music and psych-poetry".

The album was recorded by Stephen John Kalinich and features typical Wilson harmonies alongside his wife of the time, Marilyn. The set also includes two songs co-written with Dennis Wilson.

http://www.twistedear.com/index.php/News/Unreleased-Brian-Wilson-album-due-for-release.html
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 05:57:33 AM »

How accurate (or disingenuous) is it for this to be called "a Brian Wilson album"?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 06:00:02 AM »

Bonus track is by Zarathurstra And Thelibus, Steve's band who were signed by Brother, and produced by Carl.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 06:02:09 AM »

How accurate (or disingenuous) is it for this to be called "a Brian Wilson album"?

Well... he produced and contributed vocal & instrumental backing. Compare with Mark Ronson's Versions album. Does he sing on it ?  Smiley

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 06:44:41 AM »

Bonus track is by Zarathurstra And Thelibus, Steve's band who were signed by Brother, and produced by Carl.

Andrew (or anyone for that matter) have you heard Leaves of Grass? If so, is it any good? I just remember reading that they wouldn't put it out as a single cause they thought it was about marijuana or something even though Kalinich said it isn't.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 07:40:55 AM »

Great year to be a Beach Boys-fan

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 08:08:12 AM »

Andrew (or anyone for that matter) have you heard Leaves of Grass? If so, is it any good? I just remember reading that they wouldn't put it out as a single cause they thought it was about marijuana or something even though Kalinich said it isn't.

It's based on the Whitman poem but yeah, can see why someone might think it's about 'erb.  Smokin

XY
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 09:36:50 AM »

I'm really curious about this. Having only heard "America I Know You" from SOT, my expectations are limited though.

Lost 1969 Brian Wilson To Be Released

by Paul Cashmere - August 3 2008

`A World of Peace Must Come`, an album recorded by Brian Wilson in 1969 based on the poetry of Stephen John Kalinich, will finally have an official release in October.

The album was intended to bring together Stevie’s words and Brian’s music. Stevie had signed to the Beach Boys Brother Records label just a year earlier.

“It was done like a home recording,” Stevie tells Undercover News. “Brian co-produced it with me. We started it around ‘69 after talking about it in ’68”.

The album was Stevie’s idea. “I had it as a concept and recorded some of it myself and then I brought it to Brian. He did ‘America I Love You’ with me first”.

Stevie has fond memories of the recording sessions. “I loved making it,” he tells Undercover. “”We had a blast and fun. We recorded most of it at Brian’s house but we went to other studios like Wally Heider and Sunset Sound to work on parts of it. I have fond memories and it was as important today as the day we recorded it”.

So why has it remained unreleased for all these years' “Partially getting someone really interested and deciding in myself to get it out there,” he says.

A World Of Peace Must Come will feature:

Candy face Lane
Birth of God
Deer, Elk, Raven
The Magic Hand (Fury Palm)
Lonely Man
Be Still
Walk Alone With Love
A World Of Peace Must Come
If You Knew
America I Know You

http://www.undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=5848
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 10:07:51 AM »

Well... he produced and contributed vocal & instrumental backing. Compare with Mark Ronson's Versions album. Does he sing on it ?  Smiley

Cool. Thanks.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 12:19:46 PM »

Can't wait to hear "Lonely Man," which apparantley is still a favorite of Brian's and a very well done track...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 12:40:13 PM »

This is really exciting news! First POB/Bambu, then TLOS and now this!!! If things are truly miraculous, maybe even Al's album will be released!  LOL

Jason
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 07:26:54 PM »

This is an interesting LP.....very strange. Psychedelic, indeed. It'll be nice to add to the collection, as a look into what Brian was doing in 1969.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 01:29:57 PM »

Does anybody know why this isn't a Brother Records release? It might be a stupid question, but a Brother release would have seemed more logical to me. Instead, it's released by Light In The Attic.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Jason
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 07:45:38 PM »

I believe Steve Kalinich owns the recordings, but I'm not 100% sure. He's been trying to get the album released for years.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 12:20:24 PM »

Wow.  Never heard of this, I think.  Has anyone heard the music?

Is it good?

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 01:44:33 PM »

The only one I've heard is America I Know You. It's pretty cheesy. The guy reading the poem (who I guess is Steve K, but other sources attribute it to Desper) is really passionate. Very much a product of its time.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 02:26:33 PM »

The only one I've heard is America I Know You. It's pretty cheesy. The guy reading the poem (who I guess is Steve K, but other sources attribute it to Desper) is really passionate. Very much a product of its time.

Other sources would be wrong.  Smiley

brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 04:17:59 PM »

It's good.

You gotta like poetry with music, which, admittedly, many do not. But Steve reads with a lot of passion. A few of the tracks border on being over-the-top ("America, I Know You"), but Steve's words are always heartfelt and insightful. Brian's music lies underneath 75% of the poems. It ranges from full-on productions with the Wrecking Crew to Brian simply playing the organ. Brian sings backup falsetto vocals on a few tracks, and American Spring sing on one track that is awesome.

If you like the late '60s/early '70s Beach Boys music, and the outgrowths, like Charles Lloyd, "Lady Love" by Dino, Desi & Billy, American Spring and stuff like that... this will be right up your alley. On a "Five Summer Stories" level... you can smell the sand, sea, yardley purfume and sun-tan lotion, all mixed with potent pot whiff.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 04:49:06 PM »

AGD - what's your overall review?  Is it worth buying from a Brian Wilson musical point of view?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 01:22:16 PM »

AGD - what's your overall review?  Is it worth buying from a Brian Wilson musical point of view?

It's a slice of time and place, not to everyone's taste. If you're expecting anything close to what Brian was doing with the BB at the time, think again. But it is a missing artifact from Brian, and thus of some interest - who knows, we might get the Fred Vail country album sessions yet.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx