gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 06:33:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Keepin' The Summer Alive sessions  (Read 3085 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2007, 12:52:15 AM »

It has been said that virtually every second of the KTSA recording sessions were preserved on tape, because it was thought that it might be Brian's last recording with the group. Where are all those tapes? Do they still exist? I know that quite a few outtakes have surfaced in one form or another, but if the entire recording process was taped, why aren't there multi volume bootleg box sets like there are for the Smile sessions? Is there really a bunch of tapes waiting to be discovered/recovered, or is it just another Beach Boys myth? KTSA is far from the group's best work, but I'd love to hear all the sessions for it. Some of the things that have surfaced(Oh Darline' with Brian singing, River Deep Mountain High, etc) sound quite promising.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 12:57:07 AM »

The info is confusing, but my impression is that only the initial sessions at Western were thusly taped.

BTW, "River Deep..." (which is an atrocious performance from Brian) was recorded some time after KTSA, at Mike's place.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 01:10:41 AM »

I wonder if Johnny B Goode exists with Dennis? I wouldn't go as far as saying Brian's vocal on River Deep Mountain High were "atrocious". Sure, he shouted to much at the first verse, but it's far from terrible.  Roll Eyes

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 06:58:54 PM »

It has been said that virtually every second of the KTSA recording sessions were preserved on tape, because it was thought that it might be Brian's last recording with the group.

I've read this before, but never saw it expanded on. The guy was only 38 years old then. Did they think that:

A) he would never produce specifically The Beach Boys again
B) he would never produce anybody again, thus retiring
C) he was going to die soon

If Answer A, what would lead them to think this would be "the last time"?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 07:03:51 PM »

My impression was C.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 07:31:46 PM »

While on the subject. What about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFIsQUjhXU4

Good performance of 'Goin On' IMO. Brian seems up but the broadcast date 20 June 1980 would not have been the recording date. We know they were in the UK for Knebworth at the time.
No Dennis but I am interested in when the show was recorded and any thoughts on the deterioration of Brian between this and his Knebworth appearance.
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 06:43:55 PM »

Once again,  one little slice of a Beach Boys time period (KTSA sessions) and once again....stuff, perhaps really cool stuff, MAYBE languishing on tape somewhere...forgotten...maybe to be discovered some day....damn....I LOVE being a Beach Boys fan....what other band has so much stuff in the vaults?Huh or on tape somewhere? in private hands? Or just lost?  I tell ya, for years to come, we will always have new and interesting (well to us anyways!) stuff come out...the well is not dry!

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 07:08:50 PM »

Goin On is such an incredible song. It's one of those pure-Brian songs from the key change in the middle to those descending harmonies and verses.
I love it.

In that video, Brian looks totally into it. That's a sight I love to see. Why doesn't he play that one live?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 07:10:41 PM by oranjuly » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 04:19:26 PM »

The song Sunshine is really growing on me. I would love to hear the backing tracks to When Girls Get Together and Santa Anna Winds. I love the music on those but the vocals kind of ruin them. Carl's songs are very good. Really, the only one I hate is Some of Your Love.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 10:02:30 PM »

The info is confusing, but my impression is that only the initial sessions at Western were thusly taped.

BTW, "River Deep..." (which is an atrocious performance from Brian) was recorded some time after KTSA, at Mike's place.
Is it known exactly what was done at Western?

Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 03:08:42 AM »

I love the whole album so much, perhaps my favourite album, would love to hear the sessions! WGGT is out of place, the studio version of School Days sucks, the same for the title track and Some Of Your Love ain't a masterpiece but I still like the songs and the others not mentioned are all great!

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 06:27:22 AM »

In July, they cut the basic tracks (on 4-track tape, with Chuck Britz engineering) for "School Day" and what became "Sunshine", plus some outtakes.  In October, they returned and did the track for "Oh Darlin'" and some more outtakes (.  The rest of the new stuff was done at Rumbo and Jardine's Barn. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 09:03:19 AM »

Read the liners to the KTSA/Beach Boys 2fer. All in there.  Cool

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 11:16:23 AM »

Read the liners to the KTSA/Beach Boys 2fer. All in there.  Cool

LOL  LOL  LOL

Actually, even if you don't like KTSA and BB85 (which isn't my case - I like them) it's worth buying this two-fer just for the liner notes!  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 11:18:26 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx