gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:25:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A New Beach Boys Album? Call it "Solo Sampler".  (Read 9714 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2007, 12:55:25 AM »

They can't do it as a unit but, as individual parts making the whole, an interesting new album is possible.

Mike has an album in the can, Bruce is putting one together (anyone have info on this - some has been on BB Britian), Al's "Postcard from California" is being recorded, and Brian has "The Lucky Old Sun" coming down next year.  Not sure where David is at on new music but I imagine he has something in the works.

Take two or three of the best tracks from each, plus maybe three from the vault (do I hear Dennis Wilson?) and bam, you have a very interesting new album!  Not only would it be a 'new' Beach Boys album but also an excellent sampler/promo for the solo albums.

After all, they themselves invented this concept with "Songs From Here & Back".  Just bored on a Saturday night.  Up early for an arriving south swell  Head Spin

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 01:40:39 AM »

Good idea. Carl has even some good stuff he recorded in the 90's. But hey, if it's that simple the boys wont do it. In fact i think they can release at least 10 concerts that are in the vaults ranging from the 70 till the 90's that are good. If only it was that simple. What do they say... first get rit of the lawers and than do it. Just my 2 cents... LOL Wink
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 08:06:04 AM »

They can't do it as a unit but, as individual parts making the whole, an interesting new album is possible.

Mike has an album in the can, Bruce is putting one together (anyone have info on this - some has been on BB Britian), Al's "Postcard from California" is being recorded, and Brian has "The Lucky Old Sun" coming down next year.  Not sure where David is at on new music but I imagine he has something in the works.

Take two or three of the best tracks from each, plus maybe three from the vault (do I hear Dennis Wilson?) and bam, you have a very interesting new album!  Not only would it be a 'new' Beach Boys album but also an excellent sampler/promo for the solo albums.

I'm with you, brother. The only thing I would do differently is to get all of the guy's voices on all of the tracks. Get 'em all in the studio for a couple of weeks to lay down the harmonies and backing vocals.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 08:09:10 AM »

I'm with you, brother. The only thing I would do differently is to get all of the guy's voices on all of the tracks. Get 'em all in the studio for a couple of weeks to lay down the harmonies and backing vocals.

I'm not with you: I think it's unnecessary. But I agree that if such a thing were to be done, it would be a shame not to try to get them singing together, at least. It's one thing to have three solo tracks, but a whole album under the Beach Boys name ought to include songs with more than one Beach Boy. At least get Brian and Al on each other's songs, then Mike and Bruce on each other's.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 08:28:05 AM »

Holy hell, Luther, I barely hit the "post" button before you're disagreeing with me. Happy Thanksgiving! police

You are right about a couple of things in your post, however. First, you're right, it isn't necessary for a new Beach Boys album. But, let's face it, outside of a few diehards (like us posters on the BB/BW boards), nobody wants to hear Mike's solo album, Al's solo album, or the mysterious Bruce Johnston project. But there might be some interest in a new Beach Boys' album - along with maybe some shows to promote it? The Beach Boys' solo careers have proven that they are definitely a group whose sum is greater than their parts (POB being the exception).

You are also right about the co-writing part. Some collaboration(s) might be interesting, like the old Sunflower days. If anything, it might promote some healing among the guys. Or lawsuits....
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 10:09:32 AM »

Can't you just imagine each of the guys being brought in individually to sing his own part on the other guys' songs? Ahahaa, the once magical vocal chemistry reduced to pure artificial studio magic.

Seriously, I have no need for such an album. For me, Mike and Bruce are off the radar entirely. Al is only barely there, more because of my curiosity than my expectations. Brian, well, TLOS was a solid triple if not a homerun, so he reinvigorated my otherwise declining expectations of him (even if it ends up being his last great work).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 01:07:23 PM »

Bruce has mentioned this concept a few times on the BBBritain site, the first time 3-4 years ago. Considering he seems to have been on speaking terms with all the surviving band members over that time yet we have no 'Solo Sampler' as yet, I would consider the interest as low or worse.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 11:59:36 PM »

I think all these points make this a good idea.

First, never again will each of the members ALL have solo projects going at the same time.

Second, it will raise more interest in their solo albums.

Third, it's not entirely solo.  Brian is on four cuts of Al's album.  Bruce might be on Mike's album and vice versa. David might be on Al's album (they are doing live shows together after all). Maybe Al might sing on 'TLOS'.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 03:53:25 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 07:32:56 AM »

David plays guitar on one of the same tracks that Brian sings on Al's new CD....so that's 3 Beach Boys on one track.  During the same session, Al sang a harmony part on a chorus on one of David's new songs that he co-wrote with Stevie Kalinich and there is this one part where David and Al's voice blend together so beautfuilly that it knocks me out.  There is no question in my mind that if a concept like that could logistically work out, it would be excellent! 
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 08:59:08 AM »

David plays guitar on one of the same tracks that Brian sings on Al's new CD....so that's 3 Beach Boys on one track.  During the same session, Al sang a harmony part on a chorus on one of David's new songs that he co-wrote with Stevie Kalinich and there is this one part where David and Al's voice blend together so beautfuilly that it knocks me out.  There is no question in my mind that if a concept like that could logistically work out, it would be excellent! 

Good to hear this Carrie. Thanks for sharing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 09:12:35 AM »

Maybe it's now up to David (if he's interested at all) to get all of 'em into this. I think he is on good terms with everybody.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 09:51:28 AM »

Even though Carl isn't there anymore, and that an album without his voice would not sound "complete" to me, I think this could be a good idea - then, "Summer In Paradise" wouldn't be the Beach Boys' swan song!  Grin

And I think all the guys could come up with good stuff. After all, they're almost all "creative" right now: Brian, Al, Bruce and David have an album in the works, and they could recycle a few tunes from Mike's "Mike Love Not War" (I'm thinking "Cool Head, Warm Heart" and "Jai Guru Dev, Pisces Brother").  Smiley

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 10:52:23 AM »

plus maybe three from the vault (do I hear Dennis Wilson?) and bam, you have a very interesting new album! 

Hah, personally, that alone would make it worth it! Even if it's just one track (here we go again: "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again"?).
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 10:56:44 AM »

Aloha Carrie - that's very exciting news!  Three Beach Boys together on record again.   Wow!  
Glad you like the idea.

Mark seems like a super guy.  And I've never seen him live but, on Youtube, he really rips it up.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 04:45:35 PM »

plus maybe three from the vault (do I hear Dennis Wilson?) and bam, you have a very interesting new album! 

Hah, personally, that alone would make it worth it! Even if it's just one track (here we go again: "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again"?).

Yes, they could close the album with that song, like Dennis wanted to do with the song on the Surf's Up album. 2008 marks the 25th year of Dennis's passing; hard to believe...

Getting back to David Marks getting all the guys together. Wouldn't that be an interesting and ironic addition to David's legacy? The Beach Boy who was ousted (unfairly by Murry) would be the one to reunite the band some 45 years later.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 01:11:52 AM »

Carrie, in my excitement of your news I forgot to ask; can you give us more information on David's new project?  Does Dean sing on it?  Ever consider having David sing some of Dennis's songs.  It be cool!

David plays guitar on one of the same tracks that Brian sings on Al's new CD....so that's 3 Beach Boys on one track.  During the same session, Al sang a harmony part on a chorus on one of David's new songs that he co-wrote with Stevie Kalinich and there is this one part where David and Al's voice blend together so beautfuilly that it knocks me out.  There is no question in my mind that if a concept like that could logistically work out, it would be excellent!  

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 03:54:55 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 05:31:12 AM »

Are you intentionally trying to come off like you don't know David's name for some reason?  I see you re-posted my reply on this site over on BBB and managed to get David's name right so you obviously know his name...so what's up with this "Mark" stuff ? 

But to answer your questions,  Dean is not on David's CD and David recorded You & I about 4 years go and the track will be on his "Lost Years" compilation which is getting ready to be released in the next 2 or 3 weeks.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 05:35:00 AM by Carrie Marks » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 02:36:39 PM »

Aloha Carrie - I'm so embarrassed, feel awful!  So sorry!  I am a bit ADD and have these little brain malfunctions (as well as running on too little sleep).

I am well aware that your hubby is David Marks.  My apologies again.  No slight intended whatsoever!  I'm an idiot!!!!!

Exciting news about David's new project!

(ps - On the positive side, I should get a little brownie point though for not forgetting David as part of this concept  LOL )

Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 05:21:46 AM »

No problem...I realize you actually knew David's name which is why I didn't say anything the first several times.  I guess I'm a little over-sensitive about it because in my house there are really only 2 things that piss my husband off, one is (ignorantly) being compared to Pete Best and the other is being called Mark. 

Have a Happy Thanksgiving...I spent Thanksgiving week in Hawaii last year and it was awesome - incredibly beautiful this time of year. 
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 08:59:30 AM »

I think we're all a little hungry for some quality new BeachBoy material.  I think this would be a god idea if if if if.
I just can't imagine them coming together for such a project.

Interesting topic though cause I've been just this week working on a solo album compilation.  I cheated a little by including some solo- like tracks from BeachBoys albums  (Dennis stuff from LA, a couple of songs from 85 etc).
In doing so I listened to some Mike and Bruce solo stuff I hadn't played in years.  Funny thing, some of it is kinda nice in retrospect.

And again, in case someone in charge is paying attention, HOW ABOUT SOME NEW LIVE ALBUMS?Huh
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 10:39:20 AM »

Mahalo Carrie, I did feel awful. (and stupid).  Dinner on me for you two next time in Honolulu.  We need David, Al and Dean over here for a show!

Best to you, David and the family for a wonderful Thanksgiving! Aloha

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007, 03:52:08 PM »

Bruce posted this on the Beach Boy Britian Board (In referring to Chris Farmer)

"Chris has a really great recording voice and I worked with him on my re-record of "She Believes In Love Again."

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2007, 06:26:16 PM »

After all, they themselves invented this concept with "Songs From Here & Back".  Just bored on a Saturday night.  Up early for an arriving south swell  Head Spin

Nah, that wouldn't feel like a proper album.  But if they put it together in the same vein as a Hawthorne, CA or Endless Harmony sort of deal it might be interesting.  I would love to have an official release of "Soul Searchin'" with the (superior) Beach Boys vocals.  It's such a shame they scrapped an album of new material back in the 90's in favor of that awful country album. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx