gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 08:58:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Macca album  (Read 5466 times)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2007, 03:03:13 AM »

Less than 2 months to the new Macca album, i've read conflicting tracklisitng reports but overall the buzz seems to be that this is a good one, i'm excited anyway, could we see a great Brian and Macca album within a few months of each other? Being an optimist I say hopefully 'yes'! Smiley

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 03:41:25 PM »

I am almost 100% certain now that the second tracklist is the real deal. The first single to be released from Memory Almost Full is called "Dance Tonight".

1. "Dance Tonight" - Short album opener. Instrumentation includes ukelele (some similarities to Harrison's "Any Road"), kick drum (lockstep, martial beat) and whistling. Similar to "We're Open Tonight" in sentiment, the lyric is a trifle but track is brief/fun enough.

2. "My Everpresent Past" (title?) - Musically quirky (McCartney II fans will love this one), hooky and clever with great lyrics, addictive robotic rhythm, nifty distorted guitar riffs and terrific double-tracked vocals. Fully realized top-drawer Macca Pop in every respect. Opening line: "I've got too much on my plate - I've got no time to be a decent lover". A+

3. "Wanna See Your Sunshine" (title?) Creative, commercial pop love song with wonderful bass playing. Echoes of Linda in the background vocal department (as on "Run Devil Run", the vocal ghost of Linda shows up repeatedly throughout the album, as least to my ears). Middle section features a neat tempo change and fastly sung lyric. Romantic. Accapella ending.

4. "Only Mama Knows" (title?) Orgasmically great Power Pop! Back To The Egg-esque energy! Great vocal! Junior's Farm-esque gutbucket feel, quirky lyric, lots of Linda/Denny/Wings guitar energy. My early favorite, rocks like a bitch!

5. "You Tell Me" - Stunning, heartfelt, bittersweet non-silly, post-love song, Acoustic based with great confessional lyric (ala "Dear Friend") and astounding, emotional vocal. Very Wings - echoes of Denny and Linda abound. "When was that summer of a dozen words" (let the Heather/divorce lyric hunting begin).

6. "Mr. Bellamy" (title?) - I can't believe how great this track is; the odd, glorious musical structure and chord changes will surprise you at every turn. An A Cappella breakdown to die for. VERY early 10CC (think "Sheet Music"), with goofy vocal interjections (if you are familiar with 10CC's "The Worst Band in The World" you're halfway there).

7. "Gratitude" - Pop/gospel w/shouty, "Oh, Darling" vocal. Nice tune and interesting arrangement but overemoting vocal ruins it for me. Possible grower.

8. "Vintage Clothes" (title?) - not positive but I think this is the first track of the album-ending Medley, ala RRSpeedway/ARoad. Lyrically a modern-day "Dedicated Follower of Fashion"-a tongue in cheek (I think) sendup/lampooning of modern clothing/fashion trends. Possibly inspired by daughter/clothing designer Stella? Strong lyric, ultrahooky tune and great arrangement, w/Beatlesque swirly backwards mellotrons and highly compressed tack piano (the opening piano riff is almost identical to Fleetwood Mac's "Say You Love Me"). Perfect pop.

9. "That Was Me" (title?) Backwards drum loop, rockabilly guitar riffs on acoustic, with great dissonant piano stabs, ala "I Want To Tell You". Autobiographical lyric speaks of/chronicles events in Paul's childhood, The Cavern Club, success...

10. "Very Hard" (title?) - Top track, features Brian Wilsonesque vocal breakdown section (with vocodor!) and another strong autobiographical lyric.

11. "Hidden In The Yard" - moody, forboding, cinematic - think a darker "Beware My Love". Great lyric/arrangement, unexpected chord changes from heaven, screaming guitar solos and one of Paul's best vocals ever.

12. "The End Of The End" - touching, confessional album closer, unlike anything that Paul has recorded. The lyric speaks to how he would like to be remembered/celebrated after he's gone. A heavy lyric tempered by upbeat, song-closing whistling coda (echoing whistling on opening track).

13. "Nod your Head" (title?) - Silly, brief album closer, ala "Boil Crisis". Probably (hopefully) a bonus/hidden track. Musically similar to the also-hidden instrumental track that closes Chaos (sounds like the same session).
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 09:07:36 PM »

Wait....what?
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 01:38:53 AM »

I like the sound that this tracklist makes in my head!

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 10:24:11 AM »

im more excited for the traveling wilburries collection to be re-released in June

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 04:13:20 AM »

Macca's new album will put the whole Wilburys catalogue to shame I bet!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 10:04:37 PM »

really? how so?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 10:07:12 AM »

By the strength and depth of his new album. He has reached a point in his career where he will forever silent his critics about his lyricwriting not being personal and good enough! Songs like End Of The End are as personal as we'll ever get them from him. He really opens himself up on tracks like that one to show his inner feelings about his own mortality and stuff. Here's the lyrics:

End of the End (© 2007 Paul McCartney)

At the end of the end
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
would have to be special
No need to be sad

On the day that I die I'd like jokes to be told
And stories of old to be rolled out like carpets
That children have played on
And laid on while listening to stories of old

At the end of the end
To a much better place
And a much better place
Would have to be special
No reason to cry

(whistling)

On the day that I die I'd like bells to be rung
And songs that were sung to be hung out like blankets
That lovers have played on
And laid on while listening to songs that were sung

At the end of the end
To a much better place
And a much better place
Would have to be special
No reason to cry
No need to be sad
At the end of the end

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 04:51:23 AM »

Just heard the new single 'Ever Present Past', this is real good stuff, it reminds me a bit of XTC, great melodic bouncy pop song, it bodes well!

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 12:39:22 AM »

Here's some samples, sounds great!

http://www.maccaspan.com/maf/maf.html

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 08:37:45 AM »

Bummer, they moved the samples, but it did sound great anyway!

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 12:34:46 PM »

Godamn, Mr. McCartney released two good albums in a row! What was the last time it happened?

1. "Dance Tonight" - good
2. "Ever present Past" - average/good
3. "See Your Sunshine" - average
4. "Only Mama Knows" - average
5. "You Tell Me" - good
6. "Mr. Bellamy" - great
7. "Gratitude" - great
8. "Vintage Clothes" - great
9. "That Was Me" - good
10. "Feet in the Clouds" - very good
11. "House of Wax" -  great
12. "The End Of The End" - very good
13. "Nod your Head" - average/good

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 10:55:44 AM »

I agree, it's quite consistent, i'm not too keen on Gratitude, You tell me or That was me, but the rest is prime Macca. Standouts for me are Ever Present Past, Mr Bellamy and House of Wax which is very epic!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx