gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 11:34:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The very worst Beach Boys related 'song' ever released  (Read 68514 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2006, 12:24:12 PM »

Forget Mike's released and unreleased solo albums... Forget Battle Hymn Of The Republic... Forget TM Song and Everyone's In Love With You... There's something worse.

I bought a bunch of BB & BW promo CDs at a record fair today, and one of them was a promo single for a Spanish 'Beach Boys Medley' straight from hell. It's a dance mix much like those Jive Bunny and Stars On 45 things, and it's got a Spanish voice-over shouting "Beach Boys! Beach Boys!" throughout the song. It's beyond awful. Anyone ever heard this thing and know why on earth it was ever made?
SG7
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 06:45:54 PM »

I think Mike singing "Imagine" has scarred me for life.  Roll Eyes
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 10:29:38 PM »

"Hey Little Tomboy," hands down.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 12:04:41 AM »

When did Mike sing "Imagine"?  The sheer thought made me shudder when I read that...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 04:29:05 AM »

When did Mike sing "Imagine"?  The sheer thought made me shudder when I read that...

They did it for some time in concert. You'll find a clip on youtube from '83.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 04:42:24 AM »

I bought a bunch of BB & BW promo CDs at a record fair today, and one of them was a promo single for a Spanish 'Beach Boys Medley' straight from hell. It's a dance mix much like those Jive Bunny and Stars On 45 things, and it's got a Spanish voice-over shouting "Beach Boys! Beach Boys!" throughout the song. It's beyond awful. Anyone ever heard this thing and know why on earth it was ever made?

I have the origional spanisch version,never heard this one.

I think the worst song should be STUDENT DEMONSTRATION TIME, what were they thinking. Were they trying to be hip again ?
MBE
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 08:29:59 PM »

Worst huh. Well I think Summer Of Love is up there.
Mr. President
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 04:46:59 PM »

Sumahama...Want to get a terrorist to confess?  Make a tape loop of this song and play it to death!
MBE
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 09:42:35 PM »

Here Comes The Night Disco is really bad too. Espcally the long version. If Baby Blue replaced Sumahama on side one and they scapped the rest of  side 2 LA Light would have been their best in years.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 09:51:22 PM »

Lay Down Burden

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 03:22:34 AM »

Lay Down Burden
Shocked NO WAY! That's one of Brian's best solo-songs.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 03:34:16 AM »

So much of SIP or MIU to choose from, but Eveyone's in Love with You does it for me.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 03:47:19 AM »

"Here She Comes", nothing to do with the BBs and boring.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 04:11:32 AM »

A Day in The Life of a Tree - Skipped every time

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 04:45:25 AM »

"South bay surfers" is probably the worst song of any Beach Boys-stuff to me. I hate "Kona cost" too...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 06:29:32 AM »

This is one of my favorites!  Okay so Jack Riely isn't a singer, but after awhile you hear past the voice and hear the "tree"-like quality in it.  Brian deliberately picked Jack to sing it because he "sounded like a tree".  And that tag is gorgeous, one of Brian's best.  Different strokes I suppose.
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 07:03:19 AM »

"Wonderful" from Smiley Smile.  What an abortion of a beautiful song. 

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 10:51:59 AM »

"Summer Of Love"

[sits back, folds arms, smiles slightly...]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 12:28:26 PM »

Still Cruisin (the song) is pretty awful. Not so much the song, but the production is just...I dunno...for lack of a better word, "plastic". It just sounds brittle. I also hated "In the Back of My Mind" , but many seem to love it. "Oh Darlin" sucks too, but I actually like the early version with Brian's lead.

My choice though would have to be "Endless Harmony". Bruce's vocals are pretty sickening, esp. that WTF-type of falsetto. Also, there is a weird sound to the vocals, like the tape was slipping.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 01:29:49 PM »

"Hey Little Tomboy," hands down.

I actually kind of like that song. She's Got Rhythm is much worst then that on the MIU album, not to mention the cover songs.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 01:31:21 PM »

Sumahama...Want to get a terrorist to confess?  Make a tape loop of this song and play it to death!

I think this is one of Mike's few good songs.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 01:34:54 PM »

Here Comes The Night Disco is really bad too. Espcally the long version. If Baby Blue replaced Sumahama on side one and they scapped the rest of  side 2 LA Light would have been their best in years.

I don't think HCtN was a good fit on the LA Light Album, but I don't mind the song. In fact, I think it would've been cool to do a disco remix of the Wild Honey album. Call it Wild Honey Disco! Ok, maybe I wouldn't be too sad if they didn't do it, but it would've been better then the "let's try to sound like we are 14 year old surfers again" music. Like "Its OK", "Still Cruisin", and "Summer In Paradise"

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006, 01:35:59 PM »

This is one of my favorites!!

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006, 01:38:40 PM »

My lest favorite would have to be "That Same Song" along with most of 15 Big Ones.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 03:53:45 PM »

A fun thread would be making a list of the most notorious Beach Boys songs ever, and seeing if anybody likes them.

My picks off the top of my head (but these all wouldn't go on that list):
Sunshine
Hey Little Tomboy
TM Song (from 15 Big Ones)
Summer Of Love
Do You Remember Walking In The Sand
Passing Friend
Oh! Darling

I personally loathe Crack At Your Love, too.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx