gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
682039 Posts in 27673 Topics by 4096 Members - Latest Member: MrSunshine September 22, 2024, 06:13:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Who album and other elder rockers work  (Read 2895 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2006, 09:39:55 AM »

From

www.aversion.com

Endless Wire
The Who
Universal Republic Records

If there's ever been a band more responsible for fanning the flames of the generation gap, it's The Who. The act's "My Generation" drew a line in the sand: Either you were with the leaper-popping, amphetamine-stuttering mods and their new ways, or you were against them. Now, more than 40 years after singer Roger Daltrey howled "I hope I die before I get old," things aren't so clear-cut: Half the band succumbed to My Generation's grim prophecy (drummer Keith Moon overdosed in '78, while bassist lasted until '02 when too much cocaine triggered a heart attack), while the other half became some of rock's elder statesmen.

And, as elder statesmen go, The Who are doing pretty well with Endless Wire, especially when you start comparing them next to the rest of their generation. Where most of their contemporaries are either dead (John Lennon, George Harrison, Brian Jones), crapping out one pitiful new album to avoid retirement or the country-fair circuit (Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones) or mortgaged their legacy to nostalgia stages and approximations of their glory-years lineup (The Animals, every Beach Boy but Brian Wilson), The Who are back at it. Not just back at it, but making new music -- and Endless Wire is the most relevant recording, save Wilson's Smile and possibly Ray Davies' Other People's Lives, to come from any of rock's golden era architects in years.

That's a pretty big qualifier, though. Endless Wire's certainly better than whatever McCartney or Jagger/Richards are peddling at the moment, but it's a distant second to anything The Who produced in its glory days. Yes, the band sounds old -- a deluge of acoustic tracks sound anything but like the dangerous mods of the band's better years -- and yes, guitarist/songwriter Pete Townshend's a little to enamored with his band's past -- "Fragments" self-consciously references bits of "Baba O'Reily" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" -- and, yes, only one cut, "Mike Post Theme," is strong enough to make even a charitable appearance on the next greatest hits collection. Come to Endless Wire looking for The Who of legend (which petered out long before Moon kicked the bucket), and you're bound to be disappointed.

It's a softer, grayer and more introverted who on Endless Wire, an album neatly halved into two sections, a string of unrelated songs then, in a nod to Who history, a "mini-opera," "Wire and Glass." The first stretch waffles between tracks that tip at the band's arena-rock glory and a sometimes ill-fitting acoustic sense. Of the former, "Mike Post Theme," an ode to the emotions conjured by classic television theme songs, successfully approximates the band at its Who's Next peak, while "Black Widow's Eyes" loses the bluster that made The Who an intergenerational icon. "It's Not Enough" bottoms out, with generic '70s hard rock leading the charge.

The band's quiet side's a little more difficult to swallow. Although Townshend's right-wing baiting shots at spirituality make "A Man in a Purple Dress" and "Two Thousand Years" some of his best lyrics to appear under the Who moniker, the duo struggles through the cuts. The folksy "Man in a Purple Dress" seems to only underscore the fact that The Who's down an entire rhythm section (which, at its peak, was arguably the best in rock history), while the mandolins and banjo in "Two Thousand Years" smack of pretense.

The "Wire and Glass" segment leans more toward The Who's traditional rock side, with "We Got a Hit," "Mirror Door" and "Sound Round" mincing a workable, if rather generic, take on the band's classic sound. "Unholy Trinity" continues the folk approach, while everything briefly breaks down altogether in "Trilby's Piano" as Daltrey whips out an over-the-top, operatic delivery that buries the song in cheese and pretense.

The glory days are long gone. That's the unavoidable reminder -- that and 60-year-old millionaires just can't make the most vital rock -- on Endless Wire. Don't dwell on it, though: The Who is growing old gracefully. Or at least as gracefully as a band that came of age next to Paul McCartney and Alan Jardine's Beach Boys can hope for in 2006.

- Matt Schild
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 12:09:12 PM »

The glory days are long gone. That's the unavoidable reminder -- that and 60-year-old millionaires just can't make the most vital rock -- on Endless Wire. Don't dwell on it, though: The Who is growing old gracefully. Or at least as gracefully as a band that came of age next to Paul McCartney and Alan Jardine's Beach Boys can hope for in 2006.

- Matt Schild

Mike and Brian have had competing claims about who was the real leader of the Beach Boys.  Now we know it's Al.  The Beach Boys were just Al's messengers.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 12:17:04 PM »

Well of course. This from the Surf City Allstars site.

http://www.surfcityallstars.com/jardine.html

ORIGINAL BEACH BOY AL JARDINE

...Al Jardine is the co-founder of the Beach Boys and the most recognizable of all the original members of the Beach Boys band...

Go Al! Ditch Brian, rename his band and go out on your own. Wink

« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 12:19:50 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 12:29:56 PM »

[Where most of their contemporaries are either dead (John Lennon, George Harrison, Brian Jones), crapping out one pitiful new album to avoid retirement or the country-fair circuit (Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones) or mortgaged their legacy to nostalgia stages and approximations of their glory-years lineup (The Animals, every Beach Boy but Brian Wilson), The Who are back at it. Not just back at it, but making new music -- and Endless Wire is the most relevant recording, save Wilson's Smile and possibly Ray Davies' Other People's Lives, to come from any of rock's golden era architects in years.- Matt Schild

I didn't know McCartney and The Stones were crapping out pitiful albums, or playing country fairs.

So Brian is excused from the "nostalgia stages and approximations of their glory-years lineup"? I guess the author didn't hear I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, Live At The Roxy, Pet Sounds Live, Getting In Over My Head (songs 15+ years old), BWPS (songs 37+ years old), and All I Really Want For Christmas Are My Old Front Teeth....
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 03:13:06 AM »

Some of the best album releases over the last two or three years have come from the old school:

The Who
Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Brian Wilson (SMiLE)
Yusuf (Cat Stevens as was)
Elton John

...and others ...

... all these guys are not only revitalised but reaching a fresh peak era. Best new album? Joanna Newsom's Ys, with orchestrations by Van Dyke Parks in the style of
Song Cycle. Incredible.

“We live in divisive times.”
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 06:43:51 AM »

Some of the best album releases over the last two or three years have come from the old school:

Yusuf (Cat Stevens as was)

Has it been leaked? I thought it was only gonna be released Nov 14.

EDIT: I did some reasearch and found this:
http://www.stereogum.com/Yusuf%20Islam%20-%20Heaven%20Where%20True%20Love%20Grows.mp3
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 07:15:09 AM by Dancing Bear » Logged

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 08:56:12 AM »

Been picking up plety of airplay of Radio 2 in the UK. Sounds like the Cat Stevens of old to these ears, and pretty laid back.

“We live in divisive times.”
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 11:25:44 AM »

" Sounds like the Cat Stevens of old to these ears, and pretty laid back."

That's a relief!

Honk! Honk!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: