gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681556 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 13, 2024, 05:59:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getcha Back Slaps  (Read 1789 times)
ConsternatedRecycler
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2023, 08:04:11 PM »

Cool Guy Cool Guy Cool Guy Cool Guy Cool Guy Cool Guy

Maybe I've been huffing on too much smoke (wildfire or otherwise), but let's be real. Getcha Back is so much fun! I get this song stuck in my head all the time, and I find myself blasting this song and others from their 80s era (It's Gettin Late, Still Cruisin, Maybe I Don't Know, etc) in multiple phases throughout each year. It's such a vibe!!! Though there was a point in my fandom of this band that I stayed away from the somewhat squeakier and digital presentation that Beach Boys 85 posits, I thankfully lost objectivity with The Beach Boys quite some time ago. The compressed sound of the drums and other instrumentation at this point to me feel like a natural progression from Love You. The harmonies and catchy melodies on top of that? Tasty!!

Getcha Back feels like the ultimate expression of it all, and was a successful single to prove just that. Kokomo was more successful I guess, but channels a different vibe.

Do y'all have Getcha Back love or memories or disdain or etc etc to share? How about Maybe I Don't Know? It's Gettin Late? These are some great, hooky, harmony-rich, well-sung tunes. I looooove emulating Mike's turned up to 11 nasal voice in Getcha Back too; I don't know if it'd be the same song without it.

Now She Believes in Love Again is coming on... what a great album. This stuff slaps everyone. Back to my wildfire smoke now...

Smokin Smokin Smokin Smokin Smokin Smokin
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 11:03:14 PM »

Cool Guy Cool Guy Cool Guy Cool Guy Cool Guy Cool Guy

Maybe I've been huffing on too much smoke (wildfire or otherwise), but let's be real. Getcha Back is so much fun! I get this song stuck in my head all the time, and I find myself blasting this song and others from their 80s era (It's Gettin Late, Still Cruisin, Maybe I Don't Know, etc) in multiple phases throughout each year. It's such a vibe!!! Though there was a point in my fandom of this band that I stayed away from the somewhat squeakier and digital presentation that Beach Boys 85 posits, I thankfully lost objectivity with The Beach Boys quite some time ago. The compressed sound of the drums and other instrumentation at this point to me feel like a natural progression from Love You. The harmonies and catchy melodies on top of that? Tasty!!

Getcha Back feels like the ultimate expression of it all, and was a successful single to prove just that. Kokomo was more successful I guess, but channels a different vibe.

Do y'all have Getcha Back love or memories or disdain or etc etc to share? How about Maybe I Don't Know? It's Gettin Late? These are some great, hooky, harmony-rich, well-sung tunes. I looooove emulating Mike's turned up to 11 nasal voice in Getcha Back too; I don't know if it'd be the same song without it.

Now She Believes in Love Again is coming on... what a great album. This stuff slaps everyone. Back to my wildfire smoke now...

Smokin Smokin Smokin Smokin Smokin Smokin
I love me some 80's Beach Boys, since that's the era i grew up in. ESQ has a great issue out now focusing on the 85 album. Getcha Back, It's Gettin' Late, Maybe I Don't Know, Where I Belong are all favorites of mine.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2023, 10:26:49 AM »

Getcha Back is the song that made me a Beach Boys fan. I've told this story here before, but it seems appropriate for this topic. June 1985 I am 17 years old and driving thru my town.  Getcha Back comes on the top 40 radio station and I am blown away. I immediately drive to the Wherehouse and buy the new cassette.  In the next few days I would also go back and purchase All Summer Long.  Later that summer I would pick up the just released update to David Leaf's book and watch the brand new American Band video. I remember seeing the band on MTV at Live Aid and even that early in my fandom thinking how great Brian looked and sounded at that show. That was a pretty good summer to become a Beach Boys fan. And now here we are 38 years later...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2023, 11:37:12 PM »

Getcha Back is the song that made me a Beach Boys fan. I've told this story here before, but it seems appropriate for this topic. June 1985 I am 17 years old and driving thru my town.  Getcha Back comes on the top 40 radio station and I am blown away. I immediately drive to the Wherehouse and buy the new cassette.  In the next few days I would also go back and purchase All Summer Long.  Later that summer I would pick up the just released update to David Leaf's book and watch the brand new American Band video. I remember seeing the band on MTV at Live Aid and even that early in my fandom thinking how great Brian looked and sounded at that show. That was a pretty good summer to become a Beach Boys fan. And now here we are 38 years later...
Cool Guy
ConsternatedRecycler
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 06:00:33 AM »

This is great to hear! I might have to check out that ESQ issue. I probably first heard Getcha Back on the Sounds of Summer CD comp in the 2000s, so I don't have memories of it at the time -- it really sounds like a supreme vibe to have been there for it and Live Aid. How cool! I listened to the song again a few times last night after driving home from a long day of work, and man oh man did it hit right. I'll say it again, but it is a top-tier cruising song.
CAFeelin89
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2023, 10:21:17 PM »

Getcha Back is one of their songs from the 80s that I weirdly just love, I don't know why. I know what you mean.
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 07:24:49 PM »

It does slap and so does Male Ego.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2023, 03:22:36 AM »

Fully agreed! Great fun tune and with the classic Brian-esque falsetto to round it up.

I also really enjoy the music video they did for MTV with the goofy nerd meeting his long lost friend and learnign to dance and fumbling it but love still prevails at the end. Great light hearted and slightly tongue-in-cheek music vid that goes great with the song and love the bands cameos (especially tough bodyguard Carl and Brian with his ACME beach balloon to the rescue  Grin)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 03:23:04 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx