gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680819 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:20:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sensitive Music for Sensitive People- Official Prediction/Suggestion Thread  (Read 11529 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2016, 10:33:06 AM »

So in the BW book thread, it was mentioned that at the book signing, Brian confirmed that "Proud Mary" will be one of the covers included. So, with that in mind, I thought it might be fun to do a thread where we can list songs that we'd love for Brian to include! Now, it's likely that it will be mainly 50s and 60s songs (just cause that seems to be Brian's preference), but I figured to expand it a bit to go all the way to the 80s. Just for fun, of course.  So here's my picks...well, not entirely just mine. My daughter Jaymie had her own list too, so I'm including those as well (those are marked with a *).
Ideally, this will include Al, Blondie, and Matt

1) Proud Mary- CCR
2) Baby Blue-Badfinger
3)Mr Blue Sky- ELO *
4) Turn the Page- Bob Seger*
5) Uptown Girl- Billy Joel
6) Crystal Blue Persuasion- Tommy James and the Shandells
7) C'mon Get Happy- Partridge Family *
Cool My Sweet Lord - George Harrison
9) Baby Come Back- Player
10) Carry On Wayward Son- Kansas*
11) One More Night- Phil Collins
12) If I fell- Beatles
13)  Go Your Own Way- Fleetwood Mac
14) Dream- Everly Brothers
15)  Mad World - Tears for Fears*

Thoughts?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 10:58:07 AM »

Yeah, I'd like that.

I tried to recap what songs would be possible since Brian already performed them.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20516.msg514931.html#msg514931

So, in no particular order:

His latest flame

Don't be cruel   (here's a Brian-produced version by the Honeys  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7TEB2NZmq8  )

Proud Mary

Johnny B. goode   ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGvvTHzCZ9A )

Keep a knockin'   ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D81R-EQ_EoI )

Earth angel

Bermuda shorts

Honeycomb   

River deep, mountain high

Let's talk about us  (the Jerry Lee Lewis hit   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hj1IaGwNbk hell I could even hear him do "Big Blon' Baby"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNPrUmMQteM )

As for original songs I guess he could add "I'm broke" which he tried out live (here also including "Honeycomb":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQWi6jzK220  )

It would also be fantastic if he had Blondie reprising his lead singing on "For your precious love"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu8uEbiRO4c

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 11:10:50 AM »

I forgot about "Earth Angel"...that's a great choice as well!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Scaroline No
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 11:26:07 AM »

So in the BW book thread, it was mentioned that at the book signing, Brian confirmed that "Proud Mary" will be one of the covers included. So, with that in mind, I thought it might be fun to do a thread where we can list songs that we'd love for Brian to include! Now, it's likely that it will be mainly 50s and 60s songs (just cause that seems to be Brian's preference), but I figured to expand it a bit to go all the way to the 80s. Just for fun, of course.  So here's my picks...well, not entirely just mine. My daughter Jaymie had her own list too, so I'm including those as well (those are marked with a *).
Ideally, this will include Al, Blondie, and Matt

1) Proud Mary- CCR
2) Baby Blue-Badfinger
3)Mr Blue Sky- ELO *
4) Turn the Page- Bob Seger*
5) Uptown Girl- Billy Joel
6) Crystal Blue Persuasion- Tommy James and the Shandells
7) C'mon Get Happy- Partridge Family *
Cool My Sweet Lord - George Harrison
9) Baby Come Back- Player
10) Carry On Wayward Son- Kansas*
11) One More Night- Phil Collins
12) If I fell- Beatles
13)  Go Your Own Way- Fleetwood Mac
14) Dream- Everly Brothers
15)  Mad World - Tears for Fears*

Thoughts?

This is not based in reality at all but I desperately want Brian to cover Cruel to Be Kind by Nick Lowe (it's my lifetime favourite song since I was 3 years old and basically my own personal Be My Baby). I think it also kind of describes his relationship with Mike.

So I'd take out Phil Collin's One More Night and replace it with that one.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 11:33:10 AM by SCaroline Z » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 11:32:17 AM »

I forgot about "Earth Angel"...that's a great choice as well!

Yeah, I think Brian mentioned it a couple of times as one of his favorites.
Something else I forgot about. When the Beach Boys did that BBC performance in september 2012 they also were interviewed and Al - bless his heart for that - mentioned Carl Perkins. I think he could do a cool "Honey don't" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVnSb2drVJw ) not to forget that the Beach Boys cut a version of "Shake, rattle & roll" with Al on lead which works great ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxkB2E8yk_Q )
And I guess Little Richard's "Miss Ann" would be something to Brian's taste as well  ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJCR_CmkGFA )

And... do I have to mention "I only have eyes for you" ?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvzNeh4Mq1o
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 11:33:04 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 11:38:34 AM »

This is not based in reality at all but I desperately want Brian to cover Cruel to Be Kind by Nick Lowe (it's my lifetime favourite song since I was 3 years old and basically my own personal Be My Baby). I think it also kind of describes his relationship with Mike.

Another great pick!

I picked "one more night" as I remember an interview Brian once gave where he referred to that song as "spiritual" and sang part of it.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 11:44:45 AM »

Covers of songs you like by artists you like are always a tough nut to crack.

I was talking to my girlfriend about a band she loves, and the band has done Kickstarter campaigns to fund their albums, and one of the (pricey) donations allows you to pick a song for the band to cover. I guess you can pick any song (or, rather, I think you have to give them a list of three and they pick from those three).

Anyway, it's out of the price range (I think it was like $1500 or something), but I asked her what song she would pick. And we kinda both came to the conclusion that it's impossible to top the versions of songs we like, and we were joking we would pay the $1,500 if the band would just write another new song of their own instead!

Not to be a stick in the mud, though. Some cover versions are great, and I think we all have songs from one artist we love that we'd be curious to hear interpreted by another artist we love.

I think most of Brian's previous covers (from his solo career anyway) have been generally good but not revelatory. Ironically, the live arrangement he did during his first shows in 1999 of "This Could be The Night" would probably be one of the few times I might like Brian's version more than other versions.

I think most indications are that Brian does good but relatively faithful covers of Beatles or McCartney songs. "Wanderlust" was just fine, but nothing earth-shattering.

I like the idea of Brian covering bands or artists that aren't obvious, that he rarely discusses or that we wouldn't immediately think of. I think Brian doing an ELO track could be amazing. Jeff Lynne, while usually going on and on about The Beatles, Del Shannon, and Roy Orbison, I think was very much influenced by the Beach Boys and Brian (allegedly, Lynne bugged folks while working with Brian on the '88 album to get a listen to some "Smile" stuff!), and I'd love to hear Brian take on some of the lush, layered vocals Lynne did on a lot of his ELO stuff.

Because I'm not a big fan of Brian's modern-day attempts to do a "wall of sound", reverb-laden production, I'd probably steer clear of that sort of stuff for him to cover.

Stripped-down musical arrangements with lush vocals would be ideal. So I like the Everly Brothers idea.

I've never been very into Brian's version(s) of "Proud Mary", so normally I'd say I could easily lose that one. On the other hand, he's been talking about it so long, it would be kind of anti-climactic if he *didn't* include it!

I'd love to hear Brian attempt some Emitt Rhodes, maybe "With My Face on the Floor" or "Promises I've Made" or most anything off the self-titled Rhodes album.

Random Lennon idea: The relatively obscure "Out the Blue" from Lennon's "Mind Games" album.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 12:11:24 PM »

I think Brian doing an ELO track could be amazing.

Me too...and so does Jaymie! That's her 3rd favorite band of all time, right after Journey and the BB (my 9 year olf has great taste).  Funnily enough, "Let It Shine" is her favorite track off of BW88, and that was even before she found out that was a Lynne track!

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 12:21:11 PM »

I think Brian doing an ELO track could be amazing.

Me too...and so does Jaymie! That's her 3rd favorite band of all time, right after Journey and the BB (my 9 year olf has great taste).  Funnily enough, "Let It Shine" is her favorite track off of BW88, and that was even before she found out that was a Lynne track!

Weird thing about "Let It Shine." It's probably my favorite track on the BW '88 album (and not even because it's a Lynne track even though I'm a huge Lynne/ELO fan). For years after the album came out, I always felt like even hardcore Brian fans weren't super into the song. It was rarely criticized, but also rarely highlighted. Brian rarely spoke of it after the album came out either. I always thought it would be interesting to hear Brian do it live when he went back out on tour in 1999, but it seemed like the most far-fetched thing imaginable. He's never even dug much into the '88 album at all since going out in 1999.

So in 2000 on the "Pet Sounds" tour, my jaw hit the floor when Brian and the band debuted "Let It Shine", playing it for the first time ever live. It was ostensibly to promote the then-new CD reissue of the '88 album. It didn't last long in the setlist, but it is by leaps and bounds the most pleasant and shocking setlist surprise I've ever experienced at a concert.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Scaroline No
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 12:50:22 PM »

I think Brian doing an ELO track could be amazing. Jeff Lynne, while usually going on and on about The Beatles, Del Shannon, and Roy Orbison, I think was very much influenced by the Beach Boys and Brian (allegedly, Lynne bugged folks while working with Brian on the '88 album to get a listen to some "Smile" stuff!), and I'd love to hear Brian take on some of the lush, layered vocals Lynne did on a lot of his ELO stuff.

Yes to this... I want Telephone Line! Especially since Brian admitting in his book that he doesn't use a mobile phone. So old school. And such a great song.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 12:52:55 PM by SCaroline Z » Logged
Scaroline No
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 12:52:11 PM »

Another great pick!

I picked "one more night" as I remember an interview Brian once gave where he referred to that song as "spiritual" and sang part of it.

Fair enough, and knowing that tidbit improves the idea in my mind... I'm just not much of a Phil Collins fan, but I'd give it a chance Smiley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 12:56:49 PM »

I'm also looking forward to more studio recordings that would either A) include Matt Jardine (and Al of course), and/or B) Include all-Brian vocal stacks.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 12:59:20 PM »

I would LOVE it if he added it back!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 01:00:05 PM »

I think Brian doing an ELO track could be amazing. Jeff Lynne, while usually going on and on about The Beatles, Del Shannon, and Roy Orbison, I think was very much influenced by the Beach Boys and Brian (allegedly, Lynne bugged folks while working with Brian on the '88 album to get a listen to some "Smile" stuff!), and I'd love to hear Brian take on some of the lush, layered vocals Lynne did on a lot of his ELO stuff.

Yes to this... I want Telephone Line! Especially since Brian admitting in his book that he doesn't use a mobile phone. So old school. And such a great song.

LOL That's a GREAT reason Cool

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 04:15:48 PM »

How about finally letting Al get "Runaway" a real release, this time with Matt and Brian on vocals with him and the full BW production treatment?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 04:16:35 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 04:42:48 PM »

How about a rocking version of The Old Master Painter? I' d like to hear that.  I'll bet it would go over well with the faithful. (I listen to Smile too much, don't I?)

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 04:44:19 PM »

How about finally letting Al get "Runaway" a real release, this time with Matt and Brian on vocals with him and the full BW production treatment?

That would be swell.

How about a rocking version of The Old Master Painter? I' d like to hear that.  I'll bet it would go over well with the faithful. (I listen to Smile too much, don't I?)

There is no such thing as too much!

coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 07:11:55 PM »

My official prediction is that this album doesn't happen. I really hope I'm wrong, though.  Undecided

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 07:13:36 PM »

Why would you think that?

Not flaming, just curious

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 07:19:49 PM »

w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 07:35:56 PM »

If he fully covered BNL's "Brian Wilson" my brain would explode.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 07:37:21 PM »

Mine would too...in delight~!

coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 07:38:19 PM »

Why would you think that?

Not flaming, just curious

Because Brian has been talking about doing this fabled rock 'n roll album for years, so I'd be amazed if it actually happens this time.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 07:49:20 PM »

I know what you mean...for some reason I think it is going to happen this time.

Spoiler alert for those who haven't read the new autobiography....

He does talk about it in the book...this is something he's wanted to do since 1972...15 Big Ones was intended to be this but didn't pan out. His original plan for the fairy tale before giving up on it was to have it be a suite and have oldies covers in parts.

coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 08:01:20 PM »

I know what you mean...for some reason I think it is going to happen this time.

Spoiler alert for those who haven't read the new autobiography....

He does talk about it in the book...this is something he's wanted to do since 1972...15 Big Ones was intended to be this but didn't pan out. His original plan for the fairy tale before giving up on it was to have it be a suite and have oldies covers in parts.

Does he talk about the new album in the book? I got the book for my birthday yesterday but I haven't started it yet.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx