gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:23:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Liner notes on 50th Pet Sounds Boxset  (Read 3018 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2016, 09:13:35 PM »

Back in the 1990's, we use to think that the live concert (Mike Love Not War) and Live From Michigan State was in fact live from Michigan State University.  Then in the 1993 GV Box, we found out that the concert happened on 10/22/66 at the University Of Michigan and the tracks were released later Endless Harmony were credited as such. Now on the new PS box, it says that 3 tracks were recorded at Michigan State on 10/22/66. The guys at Cap need to only let Alan Boyd write the liners. This was not a well put together package, aside from the session notes and great remastering.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 06:30:24 AM »

The liner notes did leave much to be desired, especially compared to David Leaf's excellent Pet Sounds Sessions liner notes.

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 06:49:20 PM »

They say that Brian Wilson played bass on That's Not Me. I've never heard this before.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 07:56:58 PM »

They say that Brian Wilson played bass on That's Not Me. I've never heard this before.

I remember somone speculating that he might have played it based on the style of the playing - it sounds way too simple to have been played by a Wrecking Crew member. I'll see if I can dig that post up from here.

Edit: Can't seem to find it. Maybe I'm misremembering?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:07:11 PM by wantsomecorn » Logged

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 10:18:34 PM »

I remember somone speculating that he might have played it based on the style of the playing - it sounds way too simple to have been played by a Wrecking Crew member. I'll see if I can dig that post up from here.

Edit: Can't seem to find it. Maybe I'm misremembering?

You are correct - that was me. And I stand by that. On the basic track session tape, Carl mentions that he'll be overdubbing another part - the 12-string - so we know that was not a WC player. And the bass was added on the same track as the 12-string...then doubled (actually, one bass sounds like a Fender, the other a Dano). Whoever's playing is using their thumb on the Fender, and while the Dano part sounds like it's played with a pick, I've been told (by Bruce, no less) that Brian would sometimes play bass with his thumbnail. The bass playing on those two parts is just uneven enough (in a totally cool and endearing way) to convince me it's not a studio "pro". The only reason those parts were ever credited to Glen Campbell and Carol Kaye in the first place is because of Carol's assertion/assumption 30 years after the fact that it was them (for which I don't blame her, as who could possibly remember every single album track session three decades down the line, especially considering how many sessions she played in the '60s).
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 07:14:26 AM »

You are correct - that was me. And I stand by that. On the basic track session tape, Carl mentions that he'll be overdubbing another part - the 12-string - so we know that was not a WC player. And the bass was added on the same track as the 12-string...then doubled (actually, one bass sounds like a Fender, the other a Dano). Whoever's playing is using their thumb on the Fender, and while the Dano part sounds like it's played with a pick, I've been told (by Bruce, no less) that Brian would sometimes play bass with his thumbnail. The bass playing on those two parts is just uneven enough (in a totally cool and endearing way) to convince me it's not a studio "pro". The only reason those parts were ever credited to Glen Campbell and Carol Kaye in the first place is because of Carol's assertion/assumption 30 years after the fact that it was them (for which I don't blame her, as who could possibly remember every single album track session three decades down the line, especially considering how many sessions she played in the '60s).
[/quote]

That's really interesting! Thanks!
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 03:31:16 PM »

So what does the current personnel list look like on all the tracks?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 03:31:52 PM by terrei » Logged
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 07:53:24 PM »

Back in the 1990's, we use to think that the live concert (Mike Love Not War) and Live From Michigan State was in fact live from Michigan State University.  Then in the 1993 GV Box, we found out that the concert happened on 10/22/66 at the University Of Michigan and the tracks were released later Endless Harmony were credited as such. Now on the new PS box, it says that 3 tracks were recorded at Michigan State on 10/22/66. The guys at Cap need to only let Alan Boyd write the liners. This was not a well put together package, aside from the session notes and great remastering.

Didn't the show take place at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor?
If so, that's no Michigan State at all, but the campus of the University of Michigan.
Michigan State is in Lansing.. 70-90 min away.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 07:53:55 PM »

Didn't the show take place at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor?
If so, that's not Michigan State at all, but the campus of the University of Michigan.
Michigan State is in Lansing.. 70-90 min away.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 09:59:01 PM »

So what does the current personnel list look like on all the tracks?

Like the 2006 edition, only with a few corrections from me.
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 09:54:45 AM »

Yeah... I don't suppose the specifics could be posted by anyone...?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx