gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 15, 2024, 10:56:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Pledge to Not Read Rocky's Thread  (Read 33123 times)
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2016, 06:18:31 PM »

Is there any anti-virus software that we can install to keep Rocky from coming over to this thread???
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 06:44:55 PM by mtaber » Logged
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2016, 06:39:36 PM »

Adamghost. Yes, a ding dang message board indeed. But I was serious about Marilyn. Brian himself has done a q&a here. Instead of pages and pages of looney speculation and insults why not cut to the chase. The idea that Brian wrote L&M after walking out of Star Wars is preposterous. Could it be true? I guess so but is it? IMO no way in hell and back again. Does it matter? In the grand scheme of things no, in the context of this board yes. Someone please prove me wrong. It may be ding dang but there are a lot of people that seem to come here in an attempt to write history. I'd like it if His/Her-STORY was accurate and truthful.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2016, 06:52:19 PM »

Instead of pages and pages of looney speculation and insults why not cut to the chase.

Because it is an invasive question the answer to which we have no compelling reason to know.  I know I wouldn't pose it.  I can't imagine why anyone else would.

I'm shocked I even have to explain this.  Why would Marilyn want to talk about Rocky Pamplin - even in the abstract - just so you could know something about a thread on a message board?  How is that useful or relevant to her current life?

If for some reason it becomes relevant, I'm sure she or any other similar person will make it known.  It's not like these threads aren't being monitored.  Let these people live their own lives and make their own decisions about what they do and don't want to talk about.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 06:56:48 PM by adamghost » Logged
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2016, 07:15:00 PM »

Instead of pages and pages of looney speculation and insults why not cut to the chase.

Because it is an invasive question the answer to which we have no compelling reason to know.  I know I wouldn't pose it.  I can't imagine why anyone else would.

I'm shocked I even have to explain this.  Why would Marilyn want to talk about Rocky Pamplin - even in the abstract - just so you could know something about a thread on a message board?  How is that useful or relevant to her current life?

If for some reason it becomes relevant, I'm sure she or any other similar person will make it known.  It's not like these threads aren't being monitored.  Let these people live their own lives and make their own decisions about what they do and don't want to talk about.

Well put Adam.  A couple of weeks ago I was prodded to ask Marilyn a rather trivial question related to something on this board.  Although she was polite in answering, I could tell that the telephone time would have been better spent asking her about her grandchildren, or filling her in on my son's upcoming college plans.

Lee
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2016, 07:21:56 PM »

Well put Adam.  A couple of weeks ago I was prodded to ask Marilyn a rather trivial question related to something on this board.  Although she was polite in answering, I could tell that the telephone time would have been better spent  filling her in on my son's upcoming college plans.

Lee

WOWZERS. You know you're almost next of kin when you can call direct and all she really wants to hear about is someone named after her ex

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2016, 06:42:43 PM »

This is all I can say about this thread,,,,  Wink LOL

Smiley Smiley I WAS SAYING YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY A MORON... if you don't GET IT!   It's like... 2 and 2 are 4... Mike is Brian's NEMESIS... Mike is the ANTAGONIST of "WIPEOUT"... and Stephen is the UNSUNG HERO!  SOON TO BE THE "HERO" SUNG!!! Smiley Smiley

Any idea on when Wipeout will be published, Rocky?
Smiley Smiley Yeah... any idea when you will come out of your BLACK OUT!   Damn DRUNK again and it's still daylight!  Course you don't know what time of day it is? LOL LOL  88688 and still counting... no that's not the number of drinks you've had today... that's how many times you've been laughed at today! LOL LOL  As well as how many times I HAVE BEEN READ!  Oops 88871 and SOARING!

Sorry to drag a couple of Rocky's posts over here but I don't want to add to his 'book' thread, or start another. He is accusing one poster of being a moron and another of being a drunk. Nice, coming from a thug and adulterer, amongst other things.

What does this guy have to write to get a ban, even for a week? He claims he wrote a book....so what? It's been dissected and a lot of it is bs and the author himself has admitted to 'artistic licence' on being picked up on detail and dates.  He has been given the freedom to publish a chapter over several weeks, that was appreciated by some. He is now resorted to quoting himself with the only goal being to reach some mythical 100k views, abusing those who ask reasonable questions and offering nothing about this so called 'book' such as even a release date.

I appreciate a bit of fun and games here like most, but this poster needs to be cut down a peg IMO. Agreeing to not visit a page is one thing but the guy has been given more than enough rope for something stronger.

Mods...apologies if this goes against the board rules. Your call fine, however I feel the need for some open reasoning here.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:57:28 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2016, 07:45:43 PM »

Rocky brings out the masochist in us all...

Hideous, but we can't look away...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2016, 11:32:52 PM »

Quote from: Pretty Funky link=topic=23567
Sorry to drag a couple of Rocky's posts over here but I don't want to add to his 'book' thread, or start another. He is accusing one poster of being a moron and another of being a drunk. Nice, coming from a thug and adulterer, amongst other things.

What does this guy have to write to get a ban, even for a week? He claims he wrote a book....so what? It's been dissected and a lot of it is bs and the author himself has admitted to 'artistic licence' on being picked up on detail and dates.  He has been given the freedom to publish a chapter over several weeks, that was appreciated by some. He is now resorted to quoting himself with the only goal being to reach some mythical 100k views, abusing those who ask reasonable questions and offering nothing about this so called 'book' such as even a release date.

I appreciate a bit of fun and games here like most, but this poster needs to be cut down a peg IMO. Agreeing to not visit a page is one thing but the guy has been given more than enough rope for something stronger.

Mods...apologies if this goes against the board rules. Your call fine, however I feel the need for some open reasoning here.

Pretty Funky, you're asking everything that has been going through my mind for weeks now. To my reading, Rocky's been arrogant, insulting, taunting, cruel, provocative… all kinds of things. He's used language that I'd expect others might have been sin-binned or even kicked into touch for.

I can't speak for the mods but I've come round to the thinking that the mods have done the right thing in letting him carry on. He's revealing an insight - not the clearest or most lucid admittedly - into an important part of BBs history - or at least he might if he ever manages to string sentences together clearly. For this to be being played out here is, well, interesting to say the least.

I'm one of those who's of the opinion, however, that he's thoroughly unpleasant, goading, rude, not that bright and likely being used by Stephen Love as his voice piece, though why here, why now, why anywhere at all is beyond me completely. I wish dearly that what's being talked about in that thread had come out in another way, from another person but I guess that would never have happened.

The thread and the reaction to many here to it reminds me of the Phil Cohen thread several years ago, when Phil stubbornly refused to believe the Smile box would ever see the light of day, and he got piled upon.

Phil struck me as a highly intelligent, very knowledgeable guy who just got stuck in a groove and stood his ground for a long time before being overwhelmed. Rocky and "his" thread seem to be to be quite different creatures entirely.

Debbie's posts over there seemed to be bringing out a better side of his personality, which is a wonderful thing; she has my admiration; though his insane answering of his own posts with emoticons continues.

To return to the moderation, in my opinion it's been a very fine line to be treading. Some of what Rocky's said has been very regrettable, some of it might have landed him or others in court if only he'd said it more lucidly. Some things that others, including myself, have said might also be deemed regrettable but frankly (and I might regret saying this!) it's been like flies drawn to dog… well, y'know.

I guess it'll play out as it plays out.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:48:28 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2016, 11:36:58 PM »

I just wanted to add that I have been thoroughly blown away by every post Debbie has ever made on this board.  What an impressive presence.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2016, 05:42:30 AM »

Yes...Debbie is an asset here and over there.  And yes John...I too was a fly.  [and dumbbell couldn't swat me with a snow shovel]

I hear ya PF.  He's rubbed me entirely the wrong way since WELL before page 1 of that manure heap they call a thread. 

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2016, 07:25:43 AM »

Reading Rocky's posts, I can't help but feel a twinge of familiarity. Like I heard this schtick before.

"WHAT I'D LIKE TO HAVE RIGHT NOW IS FOR ALL YOU FAT, OUT OF SHAPE SMILEY SMILE SWEATHOGS TO KEEP THE NOISE DOWN AND GET A LESSON IN BEACH BOYS HISTORY FROM A REAL MAN."

Oh yeah. Now I get it.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2016, 07:29:14 AM »

Except for a very few very thoughtful and considered individuals, like adamghost, Rocky seems to have drawn out the worst in all of us, most definitely including me.
There must be a word or term for that sort of catalyst.

I now firmly take the pledge. I'm done with the whole gross demoralizing thing and I'm sorry for getting involved in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 09:04:08 AM by Emily » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2016, 08:04:40 AM »

Grin

I keep thinking of Rocky in terms of professional wrestlers, like he's Ric Flair or something… I'd be surprised if the guy didn't watch wrestling on the regular. If you think of his insults like that, it really just becomes something to chuckle at and not get all upset about.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2016, 11:46:39 AM »

Well put Adam.  A couple of weeks ago I was prodded to ask Marilyn a rather trivial question related to something on this board.  Although she was polite in answering, I could tell that the telephone time would have been better spent asking her about her grandchildren, or filling her in on my son's upcoming college plans.

Lee

The idea behind asking Marilyn about Star Wars was to illustrate the absurdity of these Rocky threads.....I'm not sure why that was not clear. This is a public forum, and people make crazy accusations and outlandish claims about people in the Beach Boys world here all of the time. People in the Beach Boys world also come here when it suits their needs. I don't see how you would be stunned that I pointed out a simple way, that would likely have hilarious results, of dealing with the latest, and perhaps worst inane gossip fest to hit this place in a long time.

So to be clear...I don't want to know what Marilyn cares about yesterday, today or tomorrow. It would however, be sweet if some of the people that seem to have, lets say, obsessions with clowns, or people that are obsessed with those people that are obsessed with clowns, would be proven to be the clowns themselves.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2016, 10:27:40 PM »

If for some reason it becomes relevant, I'm sure she or any other similar person will make it known.  It's not like these threads aren't being monitored.  Let these people live their own lives and make their own decisions about what they do and don't want to talk about.

Well put Adam.  A couple of weeks ago I was prodded to ask Marilyn a rather trivial question related to something on this board.  Although she was polite in answering, I could tell that the telephone time would have been better spent asking her about her grandchildren, or filling her in on my son's upcoming college plans.

Lee

The idea behind asking Marilyn about Star Wars was to illustrate the absurdity of these Rocky threads.....I'm not sure why that was not clear. This is a public forum, and people make crazy accusations and outlandish claims about people in the Beach Boys world here all of the time. People in the Beach Boys world also come here when it suits their needs. I don't see how you would be stunned that I pointed out a simple way, that would likely have hilarious results, of dealing with the latest, and perhaps worst inane gossip fest to hit this place in a long time.

So to be clear...I don't want to know what Marilyn cares about yesterday, today or tomorrow. It would however, be sweet if some of the people that seem to have, lets say, obsessions with clowns, or people that are obsessed with those people that are obsessed with clowns, would be proven to be the clowns themselves.

I have to admit you've lost me.  I'm pretty much stuck on why anybody who knows Marilyn would feel it appropriate to bother her with something so pointless brought on by somebody I very much doubt she wants to talk about.  The whole abstract of the reason for it, or that it might cut to the chase about something that in the real world just is not very important, doesn't make much difference to me.  I guess I don't have much more to add; I don't get it.  Maybe somebody else does and that's cool.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2016, 03:46:06 AM »

The Rockster's ludicrous claim is refuted by the very first line of the song:

"I was sitting in a crummy movie..."

The original Star Wars was, and remains, anything but crummy. I'd imagine that Brian's child-like wonder at, oh, pretty much everything woudl have been engaged from the opening seconds. Thus, didn't happen.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2016, 06:34:46 AM »

Don't forget, though - Brian liked Norbit...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2016, 07:31:47 AM »

Ah...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2016, 07:35:04 AM »

I suppose it's a matter of personal opinion because I re-watched the original Star Wars the other day with the family and I think we were all bored by it. I've watched the movie three times now and have never been bowled over by it. But I understand that many people love it.
KDS
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2016, 07:45:22 AM »

I suppose it's a matter of personal opinion because I re-watched the original Star Wars the other day with the family and I think we were all bored by it. I've watched the movie three times now and have never been bowled over by it. But I understand that many people love it.

I'll give the fans credit for their dedication.  I don't think there's any movie franchise I'm as passionate about as SW fans. 

I tried watching some of the original three a while back, and it's just not my cup of tea.

I guess I'm more of a music geek.....which is why I'm on here. 

And I use the word "geek" lovingly, not as a disparaging remark. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2016, 08:20:13 AM »

There might be an 'of the times' component. As a little kid who saw it in the theater, I was blown away, and swept away. The combination of mythology (rather than machismo) and action thriller was great and pretty fresh. It's pretty common now.
KDS
« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2016, 08:22:16 AM »

There might be an 'of the times' component. As a little kid who saw it in the theater, I was blown away, and swept away. The combination of mythology (rather than machismo) and action thriller was great and pretty fresh. It's pretty common now.

That's a possibility.  But I'm 35, and most of my friends of the same age, or slightly younger, are big Star Wars fans. 

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2016, 08:34:20 AM »

This is so off-topic; but no argument on that - obviously a lot of people of all different ages love it. I just think the 'bored' reaction might have to do with what I said above. My daughter's a little ho hum about Star Wars; when it came out some people weren't into it; some people liked it but not obsessively; but not many people were straight-up bored.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2016, 10:39:08 AM »

'Star Wars'  Rocky yes?  Rocky NO!!!  Razz

When the movie FIRST CAME OUT...there had really NEVER been anything quite like it.  It may be 'old hat' now but back then?

W O W!!! Shocked

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2016, 10:40:44 AM »

I think we need to get our "views" up!  Some publisher may start showing interest in a book by the "Angry 13" if we get a lot of WOO HOO views!  So, everyone needs to start doing "reads" as often as possible!!!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx