gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:09:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recording Without Session Musicians  (Read 10145 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 08:26:20 PM »

I don't know, but if I had to guess (and I'm hopeful someone will come in and confirm or deny) that Dennis played drums on "Good Timin'", "Shortenin' Bread" and perhaps "Lady Lynda" (though it doesn't sound like his style) on L.A., and "My Diane" on M.I.U.  They're all released after LOVE YOU, do any of the drum sessions date from after LOVE YOU?

Actually as I think about it both "Angel Come Home" and "Love Surrounds Me" sound very Dennis drum-wise (particularly "Angel").  There's actually a timing error on the drums on "Angel" towards the end of the track that they covered with overdubs.

Bobby F. drummed on "Angel", "LSM" and "LL". It's Dennis on "Good Timin'", "Shortenin' Bread", and a small overdub on "LSM". Plus "My Diane", "Hey Little Tomboy", "Come Go With Me" and "Peggy Sue" from the previous album. He drummed at an early KTSA session, for "Johnny B. Goode" and an attempt at "Oh Darlin'". But probably the last time he drummed in the studio for a potential BBs release was "Stevie".
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 03:44:48 AM by c-man » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 08:31:27 PM »

I don't know, but if I had to guess (and I'm hopeful someone will come in and confirm or deny) that Dennis played drums on "Good Timin'", "Shortenin' Bread" and perhaps "Lady Lynda" (though it doesn't sound like his style) on L.A., and "My Diane" on M.I.U.  They're all released after LOVE YOU, do any of the drum sessions date from after LOVE YOU?

Actually as I think about it both "Angel Come Home" and "Love Surrounds Me" sound very Dennis drum-wise (particularly "Angel").  There's actually a timing error on the drums on "Angel" towards the end of the track that they covered with overdubs.

Bobby F. drummed on "Angel", "LSM" and "LL". It's Dennis on "Good Timin'", "Shortenin' Bread", and a small overdub on "LSM". Plus "My Diane", "Hey Little Tomboy", "Come Go With Me" and "Peggy Sue" from the previous album. He drummed at an early KTSA session, for "Johnny B. Goode" and an attempt at "Oh Darlin'". But probably the last time he drummed in the studio for a potential BBs release was "Stevie".
The last time Dennis drummed

Are you referring to the early (booted) version of Oh Darlin' with Brian vocal? Or some other previous and rejected unheard version?
Man, I love the drum sound on Stevie. It's got a hint of the POB drum sound.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2015, 01:37:45 AM »

Bobby F. drummed on "Angel", "LSM" and "LL". It's Dennis on "Good Timin'", "Shortenin' Bread", and a small overdub on "LSM". Plus "My Diane", "Hey Little Tomboy", "Come Go With Me" and "Peggy Sue" from the previous album.

Cool! I'm assuming the "Good Timin'", "Shortenin' Bread", "Tomboy", "Come Go" and "Peggy Sue" drum tracks date from the earlier sessions on those songs?  And even "My Diane" had its basic track in the can by late '76.  Which would mean that aside from leftover stuff and donated solo tracks, he basically stopped bothering to drum for them after the September '77 bust-up  (And they'd only done a little recording as a band throughout '77 before then.)

That makes his cameo appearance at the KTSA session (and "Stevie") even more remarkable!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2015, 03:49:37 AM »

I don't know, but if I had to guess (and I'm hopeful someone will come in and confirm or deny) that Dennis played drums on "Good Timin'", "Shortenin' Bread" and perhaps "Lady Lynda" (though it doesn't sound like his style) on L.A., and "My Diane" on M.I.U.  They're all released after LOVE YOU, do any of the drum sessions date from after LOVE YOU?

Actually as I think about it both "Angel Come Home" and "Love Surrounds Me" sound very Dennis drum-wise (particularly "Angel").  There's actually a timing error on the drums on "Angel" towards the end of the track that they covered with overdubs.

The last time Dennis drummed

Are you referring to the early (booted) version of Oh Darlin' with Brian vocal? Or some other previous and rejected unheard version?
Man, I love the drum sound on Stevie. It's got a hint of the POB drum sound.

No, that's actually a Gary Mallaber drum performance, which in turn was replaced by a new Scott Mathews' performance on the released mix (just as Brian's lead vocal was replaced by Carl's). The day before that master take was cut (at the end of the "Johnny B. Goode" session), Brian, Carl and Dennis had a go at a basic track for "Oh Darlin'", but Dennis' drumming was subpar, so they gave up. Not sure why they didn't just record to a click track and add Dennis' drumming later. At any rate, the next day, they were back with Mallaber, but without Dennis.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2015, 03:55:02 AM »

Bobby F. drummed on "Angel", "LSM" and "LL". It's Dennis on "Good Timin'", "Shortenin' Bread", and a small overdub on "LSM". Plus "My Diane", "Hey Little Tomboy", "Come Go With Me" and "Peggy Sue" from the previous album.

Cool! I'm assuming the "Good Timin'", "Shortenin' Bread", "Tomboy", "Come Go" and "Peggy Sue" drum tracks date from the earlier sessions on those songs?  And even "My Diane" had its basic track in the can by late '76.  Which would mean that aside from leftover stuff and donated solo tracks, he basically stopped bothering to drum for them after the September '77 bust-up  (And they'd only done a little recording as a band throughout '77 before then.)

That makes his cameo appearance at the KTSA session (and "Stevie") even more remarkable!

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Yes. While at MIU, it appears Dennis attempted to replace Mike Kowalski's drums on the already-recorded "She's Got Rhythm" (maybe the idea was for him to do this on all the tracks they had cut there so far, thus making them more of a group effort), but that idea was quickly abandoned.

I'm not sure Dennis "stopped bothering" to drum for the BBs in the studio as much as they stopped inviting him to do so, as his condition (and professionalism) continued to deteriorate.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2015, 02:25:44 PM »

It's too bad, because I love all the Wilson Brothers basics from '75-'77.  Just masters of underplaying, just the fundamentals, thick as a pound cake.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2015, 05:18:23 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Yes. While at MIU, it appears Dennis attempted to replace Mike Kowalski's drums on the already-recorded "She's Got Rhythm" (maybe the idea was for him to do this on all the tracks they had cut there so far, thus making them more of a group effort), but that idea was quickly abandoned.

I'm not sure Dennis "stopped bothering" to drum for the BBs in the studio as much as they stopped inviting him to do so, as his condition (and professionalism) continued to deteriorate.

Thanks for very interesting and insightful (and sad) information.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx