gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:34:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's instrumental contributions to the Surf's Up album  (Read 6827 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2015, 01:10:45 PM »

HAve to assume he played on Til I Die.

Could most organ contributions be assumed to be Brian? I´m thinking specifically Til I Die and Surf´s Up.

"'Til I Die" has Brian on Rox-i-chord and organ, and I think Bruce on another organ part. Although Jack Rieley recalled that Carl played the Moog bass on "Surf's Up", a very informed source (who was there) says it was definitely Brian. Carl and/or Bruce added the organ parts, though.

COMMENT:  On Til I Die, Brian is playing a Hammond B3, there is no other organ part. Daryl plays the vibs. I am playing the Moog. On Surf's Up, Carl thought up the organ pad and either Bruce or Carl actually played it, and as I posted before I played the Moog.  All these insights and other particulars will be detailed in Part Two of my book Recording The Beach Boys.  You can view and hear Part One of the book at http://swdstudyvideos.com.     ~swd
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2015, 01:41:51 PM »

I know that I've said it before, but I love that you're a part of the community here, Mr. Desper.

Your contributions to the board (and to our evolving understanding of the history of the band) are absolutely invaluable.
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2015, 02:06:19 PM »

Vocally he's very present on Disney Girls and Carl's two Surf's Up tracks.

I thought Disney Girls didn't feature any BBs except Bruce. I thought the vocals were done by Bruce's production buddies like Curt/Kurt Becher/Boecherr.

edit: Wikipedia says the whole band is present, vocally. Hmm...

Brian's definitely on there - he sings the "church, bingo chances, and old time dances" line.

Gotta listen to it again. But I always thought that the highest part in that song is Bruce. Perhaps you mean a lower part in the stack?

That's clearly Brian on the lovely downward modulating harmony "church bingo chances and old time dances".  Not quite the top part (which I presume is Bruce)

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2015, 03:33:18 PM »

Wow, I didn't know you sang too, Steven. Do you remember any particular songs or parts you sang?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2015, 04:05:05 PM »

edit: Wikipedia says the whole band is present, vocally. Hmm...
All of the credits on Wikipedia that aren't sourced to anything should be removed since they're wrong 90% of the time
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2015, 06:08:21 PM »

Wow, I didn't know you sang too, Steven. Do you remember any particular songs or parts you sang?
COMMENT:  So my deal with the boys was that I could sing at least one time with them on any album. This was for my own satisfaction and nothing more. As it turned out album was not the right term to use, but nevertheless, once in a great while I would ask if I could come down from the control room and sing with them. Those times were far and few between, but every now and then it was possible for me to join them for a group overlay ... or something like that. You have to understand that, yes, we were employer and employee, but also we were all friends and engaged in creating songs together -- it was a symbiotic relationship, a mutually beneficial relationship full of great satisfaction. The times I sang were few and rather spontaneous, so I don't recall exactly to which songs I lent my voice. All I recall is that it was a lot of fun and full of laughs. Great times!!  ~swd   
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2015, 09:00:35 PM »

HAve to assume he played on Til I Die.

Could most organ contributions be assumed to be Brian? I´m thinking specifically Til I Die and Surf´s Up.

"'Til I Die" has Brian on Rox-i-chord and organ, and I think Bruce on another organ part. Although Jack Rieley recalled that Carl played the Moog bass on "Surf's Up", a very informed source (who was there) says it was definitely Brian. Carl and/or Bruce added the organ parts, though.

COMMENT:  Sorry but Jack wasn't around. It was a late night session with only Carl and myself in the studio. I patched and played the Moog bass parts on Surf's Up and the original bass guitar parts recorded at Columbia were later replaced at the house studio. These and many other details will be revealed in the forthcoming second part of my book, Recording The Beach Boys due out this summer.

Part one of the book is viewable at http://swdstudyvideos.com

~swd

This is exciting news! Stephen, you played on Surf's Up!? Are there any other songs you played on?

C-man's sessionography might need to be revised, unless this was common knowledge!

Revisions from those "in the know" are more than welcome! It gets real interesting, though, when multiple sources diverge in their recollections: Brian, Carl and Stephen are all credited with playing the Moog bass on "Surf's Up" by different such sources. For my part, all I can say for sure is I wasn't there!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx