gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 03:04:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could Stamos have had success re-recording a different Denny tune than Forever?  (Read 2118 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2015, 04:23:42 PM »

I guess Forever suited Uncle Jesse perfectly... it's one of Denny's very best songs, and fit in nicely as a romantic ballad when it was played on Full House.

But was there any other Dennis song that Stamos could have tackled that could have worked? And by "worked", I mean had any level of success, on the level that Forever had at the time. I don't think the cover is *that* bad, for what it's worth. Don't love it either, though.

For a non-Denny track, I guess he could have performed The Monkey's Uncle Jesse, but I'm curious about other Denny tracks, since Stamos seemed/seems pretty fixated on Denny specifically.

If Stamos had been a massive fan of Cuddle Up or Little Bird, for example, would there have been a snowball's chance in hell that a re-recording of one of those songs (or any non-Forever Denny tune, for that matter) could have gotten any traction? I wonder if anything other than Forever was even considered.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:26:48 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 04:40:48 PM »

any level of success, on the level that Forever had at the time.

Did Forever have any success?  I know it was on the show Full House, but I don't ever remember hearing it on the radio, or it getting an chart action.  As for another song, I don't know, Stamos seems like a nice guy, but I don't really like his voice.  Maybe "You and I," but since it was a solo song, I think it had no chance of being recorded.
petzounds29
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 05:05:07 PM »

NO  Grin
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 05:06:37 PM »

any level of success, on the level that Forever had at the time.

Did Forever have any success?  I know it was on the show Full House, but I don't ever remember hearing it on the radio, or it getting an chart action.  As for another song, I don't know, Stamos seems like a nice guy, but I don't really like his voice.  Maybe "You and I," but since it was a solo song, I think it had no chance of being recorded.

I'm trying to first understand how unknown a tune "Forever" was at the time Stamos recorded it. It was pretty obscure pre-Full House, right?

Stamos, like him or not, is pretty much credited with making this song far better known than it was beforehand, right?

I guess whatever "success" the re-record had wasn't so much in terms of sales, or SIP blowing up the charts ( LOL), but more of getting a previously-obscure song back in the public consciousness. That's how I'm defining success here, and I wonder if any other Denny song could have worked.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 05:07:32 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
luckyoldsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 09:03:26 PM »

I'd have loved to see Uncle Jesse do "Got to Know the Woman" ... "C'mon, c'mon and do the chicken!"

Seriously.

I'd YouTube that all day long.

Wish you'd help me find the key ...
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 01:13:51 AM »

He prolly could have done a Slip On Through cover that made all the babes wet in the places his cover of Forever attempted to/did.

No mas, por favor.
KDS
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 05:49:09 AM »

Not a popular opinion, but I think the Stamos version of Forever is one of the few highlights on Summer in Paradise.  Not as good as the Sunflower version of course. 

I was 12 when Full House used Forever, and at that time I'd never heard the original.  My folks never really played anything newer than Good Vibrations.  (I now have debates with my father on the merits of The Beach Boys from 68-73).

I think John Stamos could handle Only With You. 

Jessie and the Rippers could rock out on It's About Time. 

How about Stamos singing lead on Little Bird, with high harmonies from Dave Coulier and Bob Saget? 

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 07:00:21 AM »

Denny's Drums.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 09:07:52 AM »

No.

He's not a member of the band. I'm not paying to hear him sing lead on a Beach Boys album. That was my reaction, then and now.

KDS
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 09:18:35 AM »

I think it was only fair to have John Stamos sing a track with the Beach Boys since Mike Love sang "Be True to Your School" with Jesse and the Rippers on that Wake Up San Francisco Telethon in 1990. 

Grin
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 09:37:06 AM »

I guess Forever suited Uncle Jesse perfectly... it's one of Denny's very best songs, and fit in nicely as a romantic ballad when it was played on Full House.

But was there any other Dennis song that Stamos could have tackled that could have worked? And by "worked", I mean had any level of success, on the level that Forever had at the time. I don't think the cover is *that* bad, for what it's worth. Don't love it either, though.

For a non-Denny track, I guess he could have performed The Monkey's Uncle Jesse, but I'm curious about other Denny tracks, since Stamos seemed/seems pretty fixated on Denny specifically.

If Stamos had been a massive fan of Cuddle Up or Little Bird, for example, would there have been a snowball's chance in hell that a re-recording of one of those songs (or any non-Forever Denny tune, for that matter) could have gotten any traction? I wonder if anything other than Forever was even considered.
Century Deprived ~ there is always a lot of interest when Stamos is brought up.  On at least one YouTube, I've seen around a million hits.  That is hard to argue about.  He did get it back into circulation long after Dennis passed.  Maybe Only With You might be a good one for him to try... Wink
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx