gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 03:27:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billy Lee Riley  (Read 1498 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2014, 03:20:14 PM »

I just put on the Sun Years compilation of Billy Lee Riley's (October 5, 1933 – August 2, 2009) material to get to know more than just "Red Hot" and "Flyin' Saucers Rock & Roll". Neat stuff!

Any fans of his out here in the SmileySmile lands?

I heard he played on a couple of Beach Boys studio sessions as well. Does anyone know which ones?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 04:41:40 AM »

He played harmonica on the album "Help me Ronda" afaik. But nothing else I would know about.

He was a great talent for sure. But he just never had the right material for more than just one great single in a while. His band was more or less the house band for Sun from '56 onwards (J.M. van Eaton on drums, Roland Janes on guitar etc.) plus Riley was a very good guitar and harmonica player himself.

His version of Tony Joe White's "I've got a thing about you baby" is pure magic and should've been a big, big hit imo. It was this version that Elvis used as the basis for his own recording. Presley also had Riley play at his (Presley's) private new year's eve party in '69 (or around that time).
IIRC it was one of his sessions that he couldn't make and which then turned into the recording for Booker T. & The MG's "Green onions".

On the good material you can hear the potential he had. All in all very much like Sonny Burgess.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 04:46:34 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 05:50:17 AM »

He played harmonica on the album "Help me Ronda" afaik. But nothing else I would know about.

He also played harmonica on "Please Let Me Wonder".
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 06:02:23 AM »

Aka the all-time fave of Lowbacca.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 06:04:59 AM »

He was a great talent for sure. But he just never had the right material for more than just one great single in a while. His band was more or less the house band for Sun from '56 onwards (J.M. van Eaton on drums, Roland Janes on guitar etc.) plus Riley was a very good guitar and harmonica player himself.

His version of Tony Joe White's "I've got a thing about you baby" is pure magic and should've been a big, big hit imo. It was this version that Elvis used as the basis for his own recording. Presley also had Riley play at his (Presley's) private new year's eve party in '69 (or around that time).
IIRC it was one of his sessions that he couldn't make and which then turned into the recording for Booker T. & The MG's "Green onions".

On the good material you can hear the potential he had. All in all very much like Sonny Burgess.
Thank you for that 'exposé', Rocker! Smiley

Uh, good to know. Cool PLMW is probably my very favourite pre-1966 studio recording. Vocals and production seem almost otherworldly. Brian's lead vocal, to me, is a perfect example of transcendental qualities in music.

Aka the all-time fave of Lowbacca.
...  Grin
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 04:19:21 PM »

I'm a fan! I love his old singles from Sun Records. Rock & Roll!!

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx