gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 04:02:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My review of 'L.A. (Light Album)'  (Read 3932 times)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2012, 07:20:01 AM »

Hello, everybody. Here's my first real review of an album. I want honest opinions and maybe some pieces of advice if anybody is willing to read it.

http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com/2012/09/13/album-review-the-beach-boys-l-a-light-album/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:41:41 AM »

I liked it. Writing reviews is SO much harder than it looks. I tried reviewing albums I've bought on amazon and on here and can only do it if I write the tracklisiting out and then write a comment next to each song. If I try to just write in a straight paragraph approach I fail everytime.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 09:46:36 AM »

It's a decent review, and i largely agree with your points (although i'd personally be less kind towards HCTN), however some of your grammar is a little off (there's an occasional absent comma here and there) and you seem to have completely misunderstood the context in which to use the phrase 'second to none'.

You write:
''Brian, the sole reason for buying Beach Boys albums, was a wreck at the time and his participation here is almost second to none”.

If his participation was in fact 'second to none' than presumably it would mean he'd been heavily involved, whereas you meant the opposite, i.e. that he wasn't involved much. So i'd reword that sentence. Otherwise, good stuff.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:50:56 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 09:53:07 AM »

It's a decent review, and i largely agree with your points (although i'd personally be less kind towards HCTN), however some of your grammar is a little off (there's an occasional absent comma here and there) and you seem to have completely misunderstood the context in which to use the phrase 'second to none'.

You write:
''Brian, the sole reason for buying Beach Boys albums, was a wreck at the time and his participation here is almost second to none”.

If his participation was in fact 'second to none' than presumably it would mean he'd been heavily involved, whereas you meant the opposite, i.e. that he wasn't involved much. So i'd reword that sentence. Otherwise, good stuff.

Thanks for the remarks. I read it once again and tried to correct some things.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 09:54:02 AM »

Ooh, and you've spelt 'unreleased' wrongly. Pedantic i know, but presumably if you're wanting to have these reviews read online you want to make sure they're all tickety-boo, right?
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 09:56:40 AM »

Ooh, and you've spelt 'unreleased' wrongly. Pedantic i know, but presumably if you're wanting to have these reviews read online you want to make sure they're all tickety-boo, right?

Thanks again!
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 09:57:36 AM »

I liked it. Writing reviews is SO much harder than it looks. I tried reviewing albums I've bought on amazon and on here and can only do it if I write the tracklisiting out and then write a comment next to each song. If I try to just write in a straight paragraph approach I fail everytime.

Thanks for taking the time to read it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 10:01:39 AM »

I agree with most of what you wrote, except that you gave it 8 stars. That's a pretty good rating. With the critical points that you made (correctly I believe), and I know I'm quibbling a bit, the end result might've/should've been a 6-7 star rating.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 11:48:44 AM »

You forgot Complaint # 6- L.A. has really only two excellent tracks, Good Timin' and Baby Blue; the rest are only adequate.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 03:45:54 PM »

You forgot Complaint # 6- L.A. has really only two excellent tracks, Good Timin' and Baby Blue; the rest are only adequate.

I think Good Timin' was a little overdone by adding harmonies absolutely everywhere. The harmonies in the chorus woulda been enought. The added harmonies during the verses is an example of excessive production and that sometimes 'less is more'. Hear the backing track with Carl's lead alone and you'll see what I mean.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 06:32:29 AM »

I believe Jon Stebbins mentioned that Dennis helped Al arrange (or produce?) Lady Lynda.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 06:38:57 AM »

I think your article is well written and I especially like the way you formatted it. I agree with almost none of it, but it was a great read and I look forward to more from you!  Wink

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 02:07:19 PM »

It's really quite good for a first go...I've seen far worse on real websites.  I particularly like that you have an engaging style that draws the reader in.  One could quibble with writing style but I think it's more important to have some personality.

And, I happen to agree with your assessment of the album, too.  Smiley
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 03:55:28 AM »

Shall give my 50 cents to this review. Firstly, those few introductory words such as "drugs", "dramas" seem to me rather eye-attacking. If replace them with their more polite synonyms, it'd be much better imo. Or not to mention it at all because it isn't related to music. Also, quoting possible informal dialogs between the bandmates is out of place there, I think. Other than that, I liked your review. It's not loaded with speech cliches, isn't banal. Very unusually structured, i.e. consists of segments - Complaint #1, #2 etc. After all, it's your 1st review, not mentioning it is quite of a task to write it on your own. Btw, I agree about your "Here Comes The Night" point: vocally it is really a strong composition. And to Complaint #4 I'd add that Lady Lynda was also produced by Al himself. Anyhow, thanks for sharing this with us, Sail On, Brian, & good luck in other reviews! 

I respect your opinion and I thank you for sharing it, but I'd rather just leave the review the way it is. Drugs and conflicts played a huge role in The Beach Boys history and influenced their music (and albums), so why not mention them? Thanks a lot though, for taking the time to read it.

I think your article is well written and I especially like the way you formatted it. I agree with almost none of it, but it was a great read and I look forward to more from you!  Wink

It's really quite good for a first go...I've seen far worse on real websites.  I particularly like that you have an engaging style that draws the reader in.  One could quibble with writing style but I think it's more important to have some personality.

And, I happen to agree with your assessment of the album, too.  Smiley

Thanks a lot to both of you.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 06:45:32 AM »

How's it going, fellow smiley smilers? In yet another attempt at shameless self-promotion, I thought you might find interest in my new blog post containing my thoughts on Mike Love (mostly defending him). Here it is, entitled "Mike Love: Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?":

http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com/2013/12/24/mike-love-thumbs-up-or-thumbs-down/

Any kind of feedback is appreciated, be it either in this thread or directly on the blog's comment section.

Oh, and Happy Holidays everybody!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 09:50:52 AM »

"Consensus of" means it's his consensus, i.e., that Mike thinks he's an asshole. Try "consensus concerning". Also, the "partially true" accusations are nothing of the sort, rather your opinion... and again, way too many commas in questionable places. That aside, passable.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:58:33 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 10:04:36 AM »

"Consensus of" means it's his consensus, i.e., that Mike thinks he's an asshole. Try "consensus concerning". Also, the "partially true" accusations are nothing of the sort, rather your opinion... and again, way too many commas in questionable places. That aside, passable.

Thanks for taking the time. Modified a few things.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx