gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681010 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 12:44:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big Fire Near Al's House  (Read 12895 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2013, 08:56:06 AM »

There's a 500 acre brush fire on Pfeifer Rd. near Big Sur. Hope he's OK. Updates as I (or you) get them.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 09:04:52 AM »

Not good. That's some stunning countryside as well, with some very special tree-life. Hope it's soon brought under control/burns out.

“We live in divisive times.”
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 09:53:38 AM »

Holy crap, hope Al's place is okay.

Maybe its time for the BBs to reunite and use the water chant from SMiLE to stop the fire.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 10:43:13 AM »

he'll meditate his way through it, don't worry
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 11:17:57 AM »

There's not much cause for humor when a potential disaster is being discussed... poor as the attempt may be.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 11:28:47 AM »

Mikie,  Is Highway 1 open?  Not hearing anything on TV here.  I g-earthed the area, looks pretty open.  Is it close to the tree line?  I'm not sure where Al's place is exactly.  What is the number on Pfeifer Road?

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 11:35:49 AM »

Alan's place is way down a side road, almost on the beach.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 11:42:16 AM »

Yeah, Al's near Pfeifer Beach. The fire is in Pfeifer Ridge headed toward the ocean. Here's a recent update. They're saying 300-500 acres consumed with evacuations.

http://thehawksperch.wordpress.com/2013/12/16/big-sur-fire-evacuations/

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 01:40:21 PM »

Al's ranch is down near the end of Sycamore Canyon rd., just before the beach. The fire is on Pfeiffer Ridge, as I understand it, well north of Al's house. Hope he's ok, though, and all of the Big Sur residents....such a shame, the most beautiful place ever.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 03:16:17 PM »

Thanks for the updates, folks. I'm sure we'll all keep our fingers crossed that the fire will be contained ASAP with the minimum possible amount of damage to nature, people and property. Thoughts and prayers to Al, his family, and to all who are potentially in harm's way.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 03:56:54 PM »

Awful.

Talk about a Carbon Bigfootprint too.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 04:03:02 PM »

Al's ranch is down near the end of Sycamore Canyon rd., just before the beach. The fire is on Pfeiffer Ridge, as I understand it, well north of Al's house. Hope he's ok, though, and all of the Big Sur residents....such a shame, the most beautiful place ever.

Stalkers of Al Jardine, that isn't where he lives. He lives on the moon. Go to the moon to find your hero Al Jardine.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 04:25:47 PM »

Now there's a smart, productive, informative contribution to the thread.  Roll Eyes

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 04:29:16 PM »

Stalkers of Al Jardine, that isn't where he lives. He lives on the moon. Go to the moon to find your hero Al Jardine.

Don't worry. nobody gonna mess with Alan. I heard he pack a gun.  Cool Guy

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 04:41:36 PM »

The evening news just did a story, showing it was pretty much contained, just a couple of spot fires.  They didn't say how it got started.  Two houses damaged.  If Al's place was threatened, they probably would have mentioned it.  Sycamore Canyon is mostly low growth, that's what they showed damaged.  The house they did show was not burned, was well cleared near it, but the damage was too close for comfort.  Glad it didn't reach the tree line.
Watching Mt. Tam burn back in the late 90's was a big factor in my decision to leave California.  The droughts just will not end, and all the fires are the result.  My thoughts and prayers to all who now have to live with the aftermath.  
Just the opposite where I now live, spent the day shoveling snow.  And more to come by morning.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 04:46:03 PM »

I see the clown people came out while I was writing my post. 

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 04:58:01 PM »

The evening news just did a story, showing it was pretty much contained, just a couple of spot fires.  They didn't say how it got started.  Two houses damaged.  If Al's place was threatened, they probably would have mentioned it.  Sycamore Canyon is mostly low growth, that's what they showed damaged.  The house they did show was not burned, was well cleared near it, but the damage was too close for comfort.  Glad it didn't reach the tree line.
Watching Mt. Tam burn back in the late 90's was a big factor in my decision to leave California.  The droughts just will not end, and all the fires are the result.  My thoughts and prayers to all who now have to live with the aftermath.  
Just the opposite where I now live, spent the day shoveling snow.  And more to come by morning.

I show 15 houses gone, including the fire chief's, who originally alerted residents to the fire.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 05:15:09 PM »

California Dreaming? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 05:21:55 PM »

I show 15 houses gone, including the fire chief's, who originally alerted residents to the fire.

Yeah, that 2 house report is defintely wrong. Here's an earlier report that mentions Al's horses:
http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/blogs/news_blog/article_aa7cd5ee-6669-11e3-a493-0019bb30f31a.html

and there's video here from about 4PM PST:  http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-california/monterey/aerial-video-big-sur-fire-destroys-15-homes/-/5738820/23515542/-/6a9771/-/index.html

Hope Al and his house will be OK, but it sounds like he's right in the way of the fire.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 05:23:47 PM »

Bgas, that doesn't sound good.

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 05:31:39 PM »

Was Al playing "Mrs. O Leary's Cow" on his hi-fi set?
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 06:42:46 PM »

There's not much cause for humor when a potential disaster is being discussed... poor as the attempt may be.

I'm pretty sure if something bad had happened to Al, we'd know it by now.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 07:26:11 PM »

Okay, that's the national media for ya.  Mikie, I know you are a lot closer, so thanks for the update.  I read your earlier link saying 15 structures, but I believe you if you say that's houses.  I checked several times during the day.  I do hope the report I saw was right about it being over.
bgas, thanks for your link too.  I'll check in more tomorrow.  There is a good football game just getting started.
You posters making jokes...this ain't funny. Be wise.  There are plenty of other threads to go joke around in here.  I'm sure Al is taking this very seriously.  Horses and all animals freak out in fires.  Somebody probably lost a pet today.
SMiLE Brian,  I don't miss California.  If anything, Golden Gate Park,  culture and ethnic food.  I was a gardener for many years, and those droughts wreaked my business.  Hard to grow flowers and lawns when they make laws that prevent you from turning on the water.  Or if you are referring to the snow, I love it.  I don't mind digging the car out.  There is a special beauty to Christmas lights peaking out from under snow blankets.
Let's all feel blessed that we are safe and warm in our houses tonight, and not what the Big Sur area is dealing with.  They will be hoping for rain to wash away the ash.  It will be new again come spring.

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 07:41:06 PM »

Was Al playing "Mrs. O Leary's Cow" on his hi-fi set?

There it is.  This thread wouldn't have been complete without that.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2013, 08:12:02 PM »

Gee, sorry if I offended certain posters with my "lame attempt at humor," but I'm quite serious that it's not a good idea to let people know where a member of a very famous band happens to live. There have been stories about stalkers who follow the most minor of celebrities and show up at their houses.  I'm not sure Al and Mrs. Jardine really want that info posted on the internet.  Since that area has few homes, enough info was posted to locate Al's place, which hopefully will not be affected, even if sadly his neighbors haven't been as lucky.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx