gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681551 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 07:52:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "California Feelin'" 1974  (Read 3587 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: December 03, 2013, 04:25:37 AM »

Anyone listened to the very end and cranked up the volume ? OK, so in and of itself, "Can I hear that back out here ?" isn't earth-shattering... but what it isn't is mildly interesting.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 04:40:18 AM »

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that! So he did care enough about the song to give it a listen...

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 06:32:13 AM »

Hey,
I did hear that the first time I listened to it.  I was surprised not only for the reason you mentioned but just because it sounds like "old in control of production" Brian, even the tone of his voice. 

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 06:46:51 AM »

Anyone listened to the very end and cranked up the volume ? OK, so in and of itself, "Can I hear that back out here ?" isn't earth-shattering... but what it isn't is mildly interesting.  Smiley

Yeah, I noticed that a while ago. The things that interest me about it are, his voice sounds like 1976 Brian, and the fact that he asks to hear it, and doesn't say "toss it". But apparently this isn't the take where he says that, since there apparently is a different take where he says that.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 02:42:02 PM »

Anyone listened to the very end and cranked up the volume ? OK, so in and of itself, "Can I hear that back out here ?" isn't earth-shattering... but what it isn't is mildly interesting.  Smiley

Yeah, I noticed that a while ago. The things that interest me about it are, his voice sounds like 1976 Brian, and the fact that he asks to hear it, and doesn't say "toss it". But apparently this isn't the take where he says that, since there apparently is a different take where he says that.

'Xactly.  Smiley

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 03:02:37 PM »

So can someone tell me why this outstanding song wasn't released in the 1970's or 1980's?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 03:41:51 PM »

So can someone tell me why this outstanding song wasn't released in the 1970's or 1980's?

The world wasn't ready

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 03:59:36 PM »

'Xactly.  Smiley

So anything else to add on the topic, AGD? Wasn't the version on MIC the first try? Do we know how many times he ran through it? And since I'm pretty sure you've heard at least two versions of the demo, which do you prefer?

And more to the point, is there still any more context on why Brian went to the studio that day in 1974? Was he gonna offer this to The Beach Boys, or possibly American Spring, as has been said from time to time? It's also interesting to note that the first true attempt at getting a finished version was with American Spring (albeit with Rocky Pamplin). The Beach Boys version didn't come until the L.A. (Light Album), at least as far as we know, even though the song was being talked about by Carl by at least 1975, and played by Brian in front of any interviewer in '76. You gotta wonder why it was never attempted.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 06:41:29 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 05:31:30 PM »

Wasn't there speculation that the MIC version is a comp?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 06:42:47 PM »

Wasn't there speculation that the MIC version is a comp?

I vaguely remember hearing something about that, but I also remember saying that what we have is actually take 1.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 07:28:34 PM »

You know, Doe, it's not really necessary to crank up the volume to hear this... This is one reason why i had a few laughs to myself (and disregarded whatever you had to say on the matter) around the time of the release of TSS when you were ridiculing those who heard certain things, which you believed required full blast volume and, i don't know, an oscilloscope.

Anyway, carry on.  Banana

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 08:40:10 PM »

I've always read that there is a version of CF from Brian from 1974 where he sings it completely in a high falsetto voice, except for the very end. Is this true? What do you think are the chances that we'll ever get to hear it?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 09:09:57 PM »

I've always read that there is a version of CF from Brian from 1974 where he sings it completely in a high falsetto voice, except for the very end. Is this true? What do you think are the chances that we'll ever get to hear it?

I don't think that exists. You must have misunderstood. I think what you're referring to is the take where he apparently sings it "straight" for most of it, and then at the end futzes it up a little bit and goes into a crooner voice. Which is what I assume most of us thought we were getting on MIC. But we didn't, and I don't mind at all, because I absolutely love the version we got. And the official Beach Boys version too, with Brian singing the first few lines (and oddly sounding a lot like his 1974 self in 1978).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 10:20:40 PM »

You know, Doe, it's not really necessary to crank up the volume to hear this...

It is if your hearing isn't what it used to be and you can hear... something, but you're not sure what.

And more to the point, is there still any more context on why Brian went to the studio that day in 1974? Was he gonna offer this to The Beach Boys, or possibly American Spring, as has been said from time to time?

The only additional context I can offer is that "Lucy Jones" was recorded at the same session. Go figure. I recall someone (Peter carlin ?) writing that he got Marilyn to drive him down to Western on the spur of the moment (presumably picking up Stevie K en route), so was probably just a whim.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:25:23 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 12:39:08 AM »

I don't think that exists. You must have misunderstood. I think what you're referring to is the take where he apparently sings it "straight" for most of it, and then at the end futzes it up a little bit and goes into a crooner voice. Which is what I assume most of us thought we were getting on MIC. But we didn't, and I don't mind at all, because I absolutely love the version we got. And the official Beach Boys version too, with Brian singing the first few lines (and oddly sounding a lot like his 1974 self in 1978).
Um...isn't that pretty much what I just said?  Brow

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 03:41:41 AM »

I absolutely love this demo.  I think Brian sounds totally with it and his falsetto still seems to have that old 60s tone..  especially the part in the middle where he goes ".. tell me you feel that California feelin!"

Its almost eerie how 60s esque he sounds on this part.

Even singing in his non falsetto voice he doesn't sound anywhere near as hoarse as he did on 15 Big Ones.  I compare this demo to "Back Home" and I shake my head in disbelief.  What the heck happened in 75 to make this change?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 12:14:04 PM »

Um...isn't that pretty much what I just said?  Brow

No, you said he sings most of it in a "falsetto" voice, which whatever you think of how he was singing, he surely was not doing the WHOLE SONG in falsetto.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 09:30:04 PM »

Even singing in his non falsetto voice he doesn't sound anywhere near as hoarse as he did on 15 Big Ones.  I compare this demo to "Back Home" and I shake my head in disbelief.  What the heck happened in 75 to make this change?

I've been wondering for years about this. It was kind of surreal to me to hear that demo on MIC for the first time. It sounds like a 50/50 mix of early 70's Brian and 15 Big Ones Brian. His falsetto is still very much in good shape, and he belts out the ending with some awesome vibrato too. One year later and he could barely sing on key and his voice was so gruff and as the years went on any glimpse of the Brian of years prior was surely unidentifiable as far as his singing voice goes. The closest I've ever heard to a early 70's Brian was the "You've Lost That Lovin Feeling" cover and MIU but that's about it.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 05:26:48 PM »

I'd like to see them go back and try to do this right just one more time.   this thing has been patched up and edited so many times that one more shot wouldn't hurt.   Use the take with Carl and Bruce As a starting point.   add Brian and Al and layer on that harmony.   I was disappointed that they didn't' get this right onMIC.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx