gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681217 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 28, 2024, 10:43:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2 things about "Teeter Totter Love"  (Read 14011 times)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 09:43:28 AM »

I LOOOOOOOVE "Teeter Totter Love." It's just so absurd! You just have to take it for what it is. Same reason you can't take "Take A Load Off Your Feet" seriously: if you do, you'll never enjoy it.

I have a theory that the backing track and the vocal track were recorded separately. Notice how the two are never quite in sync.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 09:50:23 AM »

I pieced together a backing track for the song (culling all the moments of vocal silence in the song and pieced those together). I LOVE this backing track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9ZNDfp2Oyw
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 09:54:49 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 09:56:50 AM »

I hate this song. Not because it was recorded or that Brian bothered plaaying with this useless sh*t. I'm just mad it made TSS and thus displaced, for example, something of interest such as more real Smile material. What were the compilers thinking? Heck I'd take Battle Hymn any day over that.

I'm so, so, so, so pleased we got to hear Teeter Totter - I want to hear everything, good or bad, if it's Beach Boys-related, and that's all there is to it.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2013, 10:13:01 AM »

I would argue that a completed song produced by Brian during the Smile period was very pertinent to the box. I'm grateful for its inclusion.

Watch out for snakes!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »

I hate this song. Not because it was recorded or that Brian bothered plaaying with this useless sh*t. I'm just mad it made TSS and thus displaced, for example, something of interest such as more real Smile material. What were the compilers thinking? Heck I'd take Battle Hymn any day over that.

>: (

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
pobbard
Smiley Smile Associate

My ultimate guilty pleasure

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 10:30:10 AM »

I pieced together a backing track for the song (culling all the moments of vocal silence in the song and pieced those together). I LOVE this backing track.

This is great!

I was really happy to get this track on TSS. A fun representation of all of the experimentalism of SMILE in the early days, before things got bogged done in endless tinkering with H&V and "Vega-Tables.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 10:33:37 AM »

I have a theory that the backing track and the vocal track were recorded separately. Notice how the two are never quite in sync.

Maybe so.  I assumed Jasper Dailey was just that BAD a singer that he couldn't tell the difference.  

I can see the argument for including something better on TSS, but it was a tantalizing unknown for years and is a part of the story of that time period.  I find it amusing for an occasional listen...it's just so OUT THERE.  But I sure would have been pissed if I were somebody who paid money for it had it been released as a single or album track in 1967!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 11:37:47 PM by Les P » Logged
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 11:31:36 AM »

Nice job!  And a couple of photos I'd never seen before.  Thanks!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 11:37:33 AM »

I love this track! I want the other two. It's incentive enough to sell one million units.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0hZPDYCGFw
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2013, 11:41:27 AM »

I like it.

Please delete my account
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2013, 12:33:36 PM »

Very nice. Wonder if Brian ever bumped into Vic Mizzy at sessions? Adams Family, Green Acres...that's what Brian's tapping into here.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2013, 01:13:01 PM »

I have to imagine Jasper knew exactly what his voice was and was not, given this performance. I'm not sure what the intent was behind these tracks, but the arrangement is great and Jasper sounds like he's having a lot of fun, which is about all that matters for me.

Ultimately, even if it were the worst thing I'd ever heard, it's a finished Smile-era Brian composition. I'd rather have heard it than not, wouldn't you? I doubt anything of great substance was removed from the set for its inclusion.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:27:55 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2013, 07:40:39 AM »

There is very little not to like about TSS but this track stinks.....period. The only other part of any disc I need to skip over is the Brian getting stuck in the instruments stuff. Just like this guys rotten voice on teeter totter, the "Brian...Brian..come outta there mannn....." I could not stand people that talked like that.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2013, 07:43:34 AM »

Highlight of the entire Smile Sessions box.

Please please please please release the other Jasper tracks.

Please.

No seriously, please.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2013, 08:24:22 AM »

I think its inclusion in TSS is great and valid.

Explains where Brian was at at the time in terms of his sense of humour, but also actually pays homage to some of his sources/influences.

It might sound like a daft ditty (and Jasper's vocal ain't great) but it's from the same place as Friday Night/I Wanna Be Around, OMP/YAMS, or H&V Intro/Bells & Whistles etc.

And yes, it's probably the kind of thing that Murry would have boogied to… in fact maybe Murry had a hand in the lyrics… stranger things have happened.

You might not like its inclusion, kids, but its exclusion would have been the greater crime.

“We live in divisive times.”
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2013, 08:31:29 AM »

Just like this guys rotten voice on teeter totter, the "Brian...Brian..come outta there mannn....." I could not stand people that talked like that.

You seem genuinely angry.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2013, 09:07:51 AM »

I love this track! I want the other two. It's incentive enough to sell one million units.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0hZPDYCGFw
Thanks for the reminder.... Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2013, 10:58:01 AM »

let's also not forget that cantina mix aside, teeter totter love is the only finished track from the entire Smile experience from october to march 1967. Ok i know that's a bit disappointing but it is true isn't it ? At least he didn't re-record the intro, add a tag to part 1 and a new fade and prelude and record a part 3 in an unrelated key followed by a stack of  Teeter totter love part 2's. How on earth would we put teeter totter back together again if he had ?
As far as the other 2 Jasper tracks are concerned, has anyone on board heard them and are they in any way related to other Smile sections we know or are they completely unrelated  compositions ?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2013, 11:18:04 AM »

The other two Jasper tracks have been missing for decades, seemingly. No tracks, no acetates, nothing. Sad

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2013, 12:30:20 PM »

Dude no need to panic. I copy and paste here from the thread tracks you wanted/missed/not included on MIC.

"
Quote from: Bubba Ho-Tep on October 09, 2013, 09:23:37 AM
Also - more Jasper Dailey tracks. There should be a worldwide search going on for them. "Teeter Totter Love" was THE highlight of the entire Smile Sessions box.

AGD REPLIES
There are only two others, and there's no need to search - same place as "TTL" was."

so there you go . cause for celebration and a big thanks to Andrew for the info.
man i'm looking forward to Smile Sessions Volume 2. Now if only we could book Al,Brian and Van Dyke in for some vocal overdub sessions.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2013, 12:53:40 PM »

Whoa, they've been found? Really hoping that's what Mr. Doe meant.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2013, 02:25:24 PM »

I have to imagine Jasper knew exactly what his voice was and was not, given this performance. I'm not sure what the intent was behind these tracks, but the arrangement is great and Jasper sounds like he's having a lot of fun, which is about all that matters for me.

Ultimately, even if it were the worst thing I'd ever heard, it's a finished Smile-era Brian composition. I'd rather have heard it than not, wouldn't you? I doubt anything of great substance was removed from the set for its inclusion.

Extremely accurate post.

"I'd rather have heard it than not, wouldn't you?" Exactly. I just do not understand these 'fans' who complain about this sorta thing... What, so you'd rather it was just never released ever and neither you nor anyone else got to hear it??
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2013, 03:49:14 PM »

"I'd rather have heard it than not, wouldn't you?" Exactly. I just do not understand these 'fans' who complain about this sorta thing... What, so you'd rather it was just never released ever and neither you nor anyone else got to hear it??

Exactly. Weird tracks like Teeter Totter Love only add interest to the catalog. They don't take anything away.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2013, 03:56:12 PM »

Who's the worst of the proposed singers?

-Jasper Daily (teeter totter love, when I get mad I just play my drums)

Or…

-Dick Reynolds (How Deep is the Ocean?, Stella by Starlight)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2013, 07:48:18 PM »

Hearing "Teeter Totter Love" as an instrumental makes it just how obvious this song was a precursor to later experiments like "Fall Breaks and Back to Winter" .
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx