gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681536 Posts in 27641 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 11, 2024, 12:13:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love is a Woman  (Read 7348 times)
mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 02:10:37 PM »

I feel like  it achieves a similar thematic purpose as the opener, though I'm more partial to that track.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 02:16:20 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:55:33 PM by zatch » Logged
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 02:21:12 PM »

Brian appeared to be fond of Love Is a Woman having performed the song on a show at the time, I'm not a big fan of it.  Sounds more like cheesy lounge song, whereas previously on the album I got more of the vibe of a robed, bearded guy pounding things on his sandbox piano.  I always say swap the final track of 15 Big Ones with the final track of Love You and things seem a lot better.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 02:29:34 PM »

Great track, has a sleazy, striptease feel to it. Great arrangement, lovely flutes, and the sax lines kick arse. Cute lyrics. I love this song.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 02:39:50 PM »

This song kicks ass. It sounds like it should the national anthem of some country.

Watch out for snakes!
MBE
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 02:44:06 PM »

Love Is A Woman isn't my cup of tea, nor is a lot of Love You. To my taste a GREAT LP can be made out of Brian's mid seventies stuff,  the choice moments from 15 Big Ones, Love You, Adult Child, and various other outtakes from the period. No order just songs I like.

It's OK
Back Home
Night Was So Young
I'll Bet He's Nice
Sherry She Needs Me
Honkin
My Diane
Lazy Lizzie (Indulge me I like the chorus)
Life Is For The Living
Still I Dream
It's Over Now
Everybody Want To Live

An Oldies EP perhaps
Deep Purple
Michael Row The Boat
Rock and Roll Music hot mix
Come Go
Sea Cruise
You've Lost That Loving Feelin'
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 02:50:55 PM »

Love You does strike me as one of the last albums where Brian Wilson was pretty much writing whatever he wanted and thinking it could -- by default -- be a Beach Boys song. I think in years to come, he began to separate his songs, with some of them intended for his use as a solo artist, and some of them intended for the band. By the time you get to TWGMTR you can really see this -- that album reflects his vision for a latter-day BB album, which means a real focus on harmony and a more populist sensibility than his solo stuff. It's also a little self-conscious, which Love You definitely is not.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 02:51:55 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 03:41:02 PM »

If 15 Big Ones was the band taking a big dump on their legacy than Love You was the sound of them flushing their career down the toilet.

This board can be divided into two camps: those who like Manson and dislike BW's solo career, and those who dislike Manson and like BW's solo career.

Funny you should say that because Mr. Manson's last few records have been better than Brian's recent solo efforts.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 04:58:17 PM »

Love is a Woman is probably my least favorite song on Love You. There really isn't anything that stands out for me in the music (chords/melody), production, use of synths...anything really! HOWEVER, it clearly is aesthetically in line with the rest of the album, so I have a hard time seeing someone liking most of the rest of the album but outright disliking this song.

Let me edit this to say that I'm not trying to invalidate your opinion Wirestone, or anyone else that feels the same, that's just how it is for me.
Nicko1234
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »

I think they were thinking "this is the finest melody Brian Wilson wrote in the 1970s, with a charming, if slightly inept, lyric".

Would have been more sensible to include the backing track only then?

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 05:42:31 PM »

Love is a Woman is probably my least favorite song on Love You. There really isn't anything that stands out for me in the music (chords/melody), production, use of synths...anything really! HOWEVER, it clearly is aesthetically in line with the rest of the album, so I have a hard time seeing someone liking most of the rest of the album but outright disliking this song.

Let me edit this to say that I'm not trying to invalidate your opinion Wirestone, or anyone else that feels the same, that's just how it is for me.

I didn't say I disliked it! In my original post I actually said I kind of loved it ...

The issue for me is that, yes, while it's clearly of a piece with the rest of the record, it seems to be executed less convincingly.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2013, 05:52:19 PM »

I want the B/A/D shows to close with this song... Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 06:00:29 PM »

Solar System is awesome.
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2013, 06:49:52 AM »

And I've turned around on a song like Let's Put Our Hearts Together, which has amazing, out of nowhere chords. There's real craft there.

That'd be a minor masterpiece if you replace Brian/Marilyn's vocals with 1960s Brian.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2013, 07:22:21 AM »

So aside from The Beach Boys, what are the majority of people on here into?

From all the moaning about the more out there stuff I'm guessing it's like 'Beach Boys', 'U2', 'Coldplay'

No one else here who grew up on a diet of Skip Spence and Syd Barrett and finds this stuff to be pleasingly quirky, just another fantastic twist of the Beach Boys catalogue?

This board can be divided into two camps: those who like Manson and dislike BW's solo career, and those who dislike Manson and like BW's solo career.

Ha! Yeah...never heard a good manson track...even 'cease to exist' is only of note cos of Dennis' arrangement (and melody...there appears to be barely one on the Manson version)

I'm probably a bit harsh on Brian's solo career- but it just doesn't interest me. It's a shame, cos I think he still COULD be capable of doing good stuff, but the production...oh god.

I mean- Chain Reaction of Love is a TUNE.
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2013, 02:44:52 PM »

And I've turned around on a song like Let's Put Our Hearts Together, which has amazing, out of nowhere chords. There's real craft there.

That'd be a minor masterpiece if you replace Brian/Marilyn's vocals with 1960s Brian.

That's exactly what I have always thought! If Brian had his 1960s voice that song would be really incredible.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2013, 05:27:31 PM »

I think everyone with significant others needs to tell them they smell good tonight.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2013, 01:22:20 AM »

That's exactly what I have always thought! If Brian had his 1960s voice that song would be really incredible.

Even his voice later in the year would've been a tremendous improvement... Don't get me wrong, I love some of the vocals he delivers on Love You, but this is definitely the one that could be the most improved by a smoother lead.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2013, 04:05:14 AM »

It sounds like it should be the national anthem of some country.
Now that you've said that, I hear it too. The song is just loaded with majestic atmosphere, I can easily imagine it being performed in stadiums, White House, international meetings (e.g. Summit), during Olympic Games or like a military march. Only need to re-write the lyrics, of course. Either way, it's a very enjoyable track, especially Al's "1-2-3". And - despite all the audible imperfections in his voice - I think Brian sang fine.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2013, 09:11:58 AM »

Damn it, you guys.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2013, 10:05:52 AM »

This song kicks ass. It sounds like it should the national anthem of some country.

LOL  YES

and seriously... have you ever told a girl she smells good? they LOVE to hear that sh!t. great advice from BW
signedsincerely
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2013, 03:15:21 AM »

For me it's the only dud on the album... switch it with "Shortnin' Bread" and Love You is perfect.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2013, 07:15:44 AM »

I want the B/A/D shows to close with this song... Cool Guy
Cracked me up! Maybe! But, Love and Mercy is the jewel.  I was hoping they would have used it for C50 to close the show.

But, think that post- Smile, etc. era some material is a more sophisticated (orchestrally) overlay or parallel to the earlier work.  In other words, the simpler melody structure seems similar to the early 1960's work.  The vocals seem more sophisticated, almost some sort of "neo" Brian-Mike revival. I love "I'll Bet He's Nice" for it's raw sincerity and the Wilson triumvirate vocals.
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 04:58:12 AM »

I like it - seems honest in a raw sort of way.  My favorite line that cracks me up "Tell her she smells good tonight" - that has to be a Brian line!  Hey Little Tomboy is the bottom of the bucket however.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2013, 05:42:34 AM »

I like it - seems honest in a raw sort of way.  My favorite line that cracks me up "Tell her she smells good tonight" - that has to be a Brian line!  Hey Little Tomboy is the bottom of the bucket however.
There is an old Brian interview on YouTube. He discusses Hey Little Tomboy.  Brian is very excited about the song's context with a sort of innocence, that is very charming.  I happen to like the song, and I'm a feminist. And, actually little Tomboys were the early feminists, not wanting to miss the stereotypical "boy" sporting activities, and being relegated to more subdued past-times.  And, I love his very innocent perspective, as he longingly observes this young lady in bloom.  Not your macho Honkin' Down the Highway, but another softer approach. 

If you can find the interview, you can see where Brian is coming from, and his true excitement for this little song.   It seems almost retro late 50ish, similar in context, but not in music style to Disney Girls.  It cracks me up. I think it is a neat rock-y little tune.  Wink
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx