gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681552 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 08:40:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson a Sam Cooke fan?  (Read 4442 times)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2013, 08:45:53 PM »

I was watching a doco on one of my favorites, Sam Cooke.....

one underated singer I must say....

then found this page:

http://www.keepmywords.com/tag/bertha-franklin/

the last lines of the article say after Cooke's death:
 "It is rumoured that Dennis Wilson from The Beach Boys later bought Cooke’s red Ferrari.  Wilson was a huge Cooke fan, and supposedly he would drive around in the car and listen to Cooke’s records"

is there any truth in that BB historians?

RickB
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 02:18:51 AM »

Can't answer your question but I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was true. I can totally imagine DW taking his cue from stuff like "A Change Is Gonna Come", especially in terms of vocal delivery. Makes perfect sense to me.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 02:43:32 AM »

Those who know music still appreciates the tremendous contribution Sam Cooke did to music until his life was cut short by his own personal failings. If Dennis was a huge fan of Sam he certainly didn't learn from the recklessness of Sam's behaviour. Did they ever find out what happened at that motel with Sam and the woman?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 05:10:15 AM »

I heard that Dennis owned Cooke's Ferrari. Don't know if it is true.
On another note, I also heard that Dennis broke down crying at Elvis' grave when the BBs visited Graceland shortly before Dennis' own death.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 05:45:53 AM »

How is Sam Cooke (!!) an "underrated singer"?

But yeah, I can totally see Dennis being a fan of Cooke's music, soul and vocal style.
RollPlymouthRock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 05:47:50 AM »

Those who know music still appreciates the tremendous contribution Sam Cooke did to music until his life was cut short by his own personal failings. If Dennis was a huge fan of Sam he certainly didn't learn from the recklessness of Sam's behaviour. Did they ever find out what happened at that motel with Sam and the woman?

The way i understand is that Sam Cooke brought a hooker back to the motel who then robbed him. Sam Cooke then confronted the manager wearing nothing more than a shoe and sports coat demanding to know where the woman had gone. Then Sam Cooke supposedly grabbed her and they fall to the floor then the manager picked up the gun and shot him.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 07:32:13 AM »

The way i understand is that Sam Cooke brought a hooker back to the motel who then robbed him. Sam Cooke then confronted the manager wearing nothing more than a shoe and sports coat demanding to know where the woman had gone. Then Sam Cooke supposedly grabbed her and they fall to the floor then the manager picked up the gun and shot him.
There's all kinds of variations of that story. Azn
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 07:50:57 AM »

How is Sam Cooke (!!) an "underrated singer"?

But yeah, I can totally see Dennis being a fan of Cooke's music, soul and vocal style.

most people would not have him in a top 10 list of best singers of all time...... where as I would.... as good as Elvis, Sinatra, Cash, Billy Joel and Co...

IMHO of course...

RickB
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 10:11:27 AM »

The Sam Cooke - Dennis connection is true. Not only did the Beach Boys open for, and were Cooke's backing band during a June '63 gig, but yes Dennis bought the recently deceased Cooke's Red Ferrari in early '65 and was a fan of his music. All of this is in my Dennis Wilson book published in 2000, and the gig info is in both the Dave Marks book... and in Ian and my new book the Beach Boys In Concert.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 10:19:18 AM »

Hello Jon.....

I have your book from 2000 and the dave marks book.....I had obviously forgotton the Sam Cooke references.......must mean I have to get back to your books and update my knowledge.....

look forward to picking up the new book soon.....

Thanks for the info....
Cheers,
Rick Bartlett
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 10:21:45 AM »

Not only did the Beach Boys open for, and were Cooke's backing band during a June '63 gig...

Wow. Sam Cooke and The Beach Boys? Now that I'd love to hear..
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 10:33:43 AM »

Hello Jon.....

I have your book from 2000 and the dave marks book.....I had obviously forgotton the Sam Cooke references.......must mean I have to get back to your books and update my knowledge.....

look forward to picking up the new book soon.....

Thanks for the info....
Cheers,
Rick Bartlett

I think the online reference you quoted was actually poached from the Dennis Wilson book. I'm a fan of Sam Cooke too, and obviously a fan of Dennis. I agree that Cooke was one of our greatest vocalists, A Change Is Gonna Come is a masterpiece. Cooke was also an excellent songwriter and he played guitar on a bunch of his sessions.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:58:15 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 11:01:33 AM »

Anybody heard his Soul Stirrers stuff? Great Gospel music!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 11:15:07 AM »

Sounds like the Seinfeld Jon Voight episode!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx