gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681648 Posts in 27652 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 24, 2024, 01:20:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love: 'There are a lot of fallacies about me'  (Read 101069 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 05, 2013, 06:32:33 PM »

And that is why Mike does not deserve to be writing with Brian. He got his chance and he gave us songs two of the most clichéd possible songs that could have been named in a parody thread on this board. "Beaches in Mind"? really? If that's the best he's god well maybe another album should not be on the cards.

Isn't it funny. Mike had issues with a perfect Beach Boys tour. The type of tour The Beach Boys deserved and now he's spewing all this BS about writing with Brian.

How the hell does he have defenders on this board.

Brian wrote some of the lyrics to at least one, if not both, of the Mike co-authored songs, so he's partly to blame for the silly lyrics, too. I'm not sure why people who are mad at Mike for stopping the tour aren't glad that Mike stopped the tour, because they don't like Mike, anyways. Did you Mike haters really enjoy Mike's car medleys and monologues between the songs?  You can go to the BAD tour instead. I realize it's only a handful of dates, but Mike has nothing to do with Brian not booking a full tour. Perhaps the reasons Brian is only playing a few gigs this year would have also precluded him from participating in a longer reunion tour, as well.

My attitude towards Mike is, let the old man talk. He says the same things you'd expect him to, and I don't understand why people get mad at him for being himself. He is who he is. I wouldn't want him to change on my or any other fan's account. If you love Brian so much and believe Mike isn't good for him, then be glad that Mike is still honest enough to let Brian and his people know he's not going to change for them, either.

The tour itself made a lot of BW-superfans reconsider their opinions of Mike. He's still an effective, sometimes even great, frontman. He fills the role in a way no one else from the band does.

That's why I wrote earlier that Mike's true talents were not as a lyricist, even though he wrote some effective ones. He is the voice and public face of the band's most popular and populist material. And having him on the same stage with Brian united the sides of the band in a singular and appealing way.

However, the end of the tour made those of us who had reconsidered our opinions of Mike to reconsider again. He has many good reasons to not continue with C50, but few of them are about music or harmony or legacy or his former bandmates. And his own continued obliviousness to these points, and to the way he comes across, makes it very hard for those of us who want to like him.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 05, 2013, 06:34:04 PM »

Man, if it wasn't for the simple fact I was born 40 years later than Mike...

For the record, Donovan still rambles on about being with The Beatles in India anytime anyone talks to him it seems... I think such a thing would get to anyone's head.

I wonder how Brian would have behaved if he'd have gone!!!!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 05, 2013, 06:37:01 PM »

... Instead of the wifeandmanagers we'd be complaining about the wifeandmaharishi?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 05, 2013, 06:37:56 PM »

Wirestone is, as usual, right on.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 05, 2013, 06:52:41 PM »

... Instead of the wifeandmanagers we'd be complaining about the wifeandmaharishi?

Let's Put Our Mantras Together!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 05, 2013, 06:57:05 PM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 05, 2013, 09:10:56 PM »

Brian has mentioned Paul McCartney visiting his house in 1967 several times throughout the years. He always mentions what Paul wore that day, a white suit and red patent leather shoes. Meeting Paul McCartney was a big deal back in those days. 
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 05, 2013, 09:50:34 PM »

Brian has mentioned Paul McCartney visiting his house in 1967 several times throughout the years. He always mentions what Paul wore that day, a white suit and red patent leather shoes. Meeting Paul McCartney was a big deal back in those days. 

I got to get me a pair of these

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: July 05, 2013, 10:24:10 PM »

In my opinion, history has shown that Joe Thomas is bad for Brian's music, and Mike Love is good for Brian's music. I don't care about any of the other gossip.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 05, 2013, 10:44:47 PM »

In my opinion, history has shown that Joe Thomas is bad for Brian's music, and Mike Love is good for Brian's music. I don't care about any of the other gossip.

In other words, "From there to Back Again" and "Your Imagination" are bad, while "Oh Darlin" and "Matchpoint of Our Love" are good.

History has shown this! It has nothing whatsoever to do with a poster's personal opinion. History!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: July 05, 2013, 10:58:08 PM »

Kinda a veiled joke as a certain 'scholar' on the board frequently attacks and berates posters over their grammer and spelling.

Dontcha just love it when people do something like that ?  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 05, 2013, 11:03:50 PM »

Kinda a veiled joke as a certain 'scholar' on the board frequently attacks and berates posters over their grammer and spelling.

Dontcha just love it when people do something like that ?  Grin
Yes, I greatly enjoy it when people are making you the butt of jokes  Grin
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 11:38:53 PM by Fake Beard » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: July 05, 2013, 11:32:42 PM »

In other words, "From there to Back Again" and "Your Imagination" are bad, while "Oh Darlin" and "Matchpoint of Our Love" are good.

History has shown this! It has nothing whatsoever to do with a poster's personal opinion. History!

Basically

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: July 05, 2013, 11:39:45 PM »

If we truly feel as though TWGMTR suffered from lack of ML co-writes, then let's blame the producer of the record.

yes, let's

EDIT: Joe Thomas, the producer, in case you missed it
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 12:43:59 AM by DonnyL » Logged

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #164 on: July 05, 2013, 11:47:23 PM »

It's spelled grammar.

No, it's spelt grammar.

Not in American English.  Tongue

"Spelled" and "Spelt" can be both be used. I think "spelled" is the preferred use of grammar these days.

Only by the sort of people who use rising inflections on the end of every fucking sentence when they're speaking.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #165 on: July 05, 2013, 11:51:38 PM »

Man, if it wasn't for the simple fact I was born 40 years later than Mike...

For the record, Donovan still rambles on about being with The Beatles in India anytime anyone talks to him it seems... I think such a thing would get to anyone's head.

I wonder how Brian would have behaved if he'd have gone!!!!

But surely everyone thinks Donovan's a bit of a twat as well...?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 05, 2013, 11:54:37 PM »

It's spelled grammar.

No, it's spelt grammar.

Not in American English.  Tongue

"Spelled" and "Spelt" can be both be used. I think "spelled" is the preferred use of grammar these days.

Only by the sort of people who use rising inflections on the end of every fucking sentence when they're speaking.
Look, I screwed up. I was watching 'Frasier'........ yada, yada......

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 05, 2013, 11:58:24 PM »

Basically

Astonishing what people will admit to. In public, no less.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: July 06, 2013, 12:34:33 AM »

Basically

Astonishing what people will admit to. In public, no less.

'Oh Darlin' and 'Matchpoint' kill 'Imagination' and Bon Jovi's tune ... or, wait, was that 'Summer's Gone'?!? what's the difference ?!?

despite prefacing my original statement with the obligatory 'IN MY OPINION ...', I still somehow feel the need to clarify:

Yes, my opinion is that history has shown that Joe Thomas is bad for Brian's music and Mike Love is good for it. And ultimately, I think the 'Radio' album will become something like BB85 or Imagination in the minds of future BB fans.  Yeh, MIU and KTSA are gold compared to this stuff. Not sayin that if Mike Love wrote the lyrics it would have been any better ... just saying that he wrote the Wild Honey album. And 'Warmth of the Sun'. and on and on and on. I just think it's strange that there's debate ... yeh maybe Mike is a dick, so are you. And so am I, and so was Dennis Wilson. and it seems pretty clear the Mike doesn't wanna deal with Brian's people and he has concerns about the big guy going on the road as much as Mike wants to, etc etc etc. and he's and old man and he's got some hang ups, don't we all. and he repeats the same stories over and over again, just like my grandpa. "We were #1 in England! We beat the Beatles! I helped Paul McCartney write that cool jAm !!!"

Anything Joe Thomas touches just sounds like trash. Mike Love is one of the primary songwriters in the history of our favorite group. I really don't see how this can be considered controversial anywhere other than the strange world of the Smiley Smile forum.

In my (not so humble) opinion, of course.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 12:41:10 AM by DonnyL » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 06, 2013, 02:04:58 AM »

Literally no-one outside of this enclave of deranged obsessives would consider MIU or KTSA 'gold'!

(and, you know, the whole band are to blame for that, not just Mike's surf knuckledragging)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 02:32:17 AM by hypehat » Logged

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 06, 2013, 02:50:27 AM »

Brian wrote some of the lyrics to at least one, if not both, of the Mike co-authored songs, so he's partly to blame for the silly lyrics, too. I'm not sure why people who are mad at Mike for stopping the tour aren't glad that Mike stopped the tour, because they don't like Mike, anyways. Did you Mike haters really enjoy Mike's car medleys and monologues between the songs?  You can go to the BAD tour instead. I realize it's only a handful of dates, but Mike has nothing to do with Brian not booking a full tour. Perhaps the reasons Brian is only playing a few gigs this year would have also precluded him from participating in a longer reunion tour, as well.

The neverending paradox.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 06, 2013, 03:12:08 AM »

“A tale begun in other days,
When summer suns were glowing -
A simple chime, that served to time
The rhythm of your rowing -
Whose echoes live in memory yet,
Though envious years would say 'forget.”

― Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 06, 2013, 03:55:01 AM »

thanx

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: July 06, 2013, 03:57:08 AM »

Whats the last great lyric Mike wrote? not slagging him off, just curious.

IMO His lyric writing has become extremely lazy in the last 3 decades and even earlier. Id love to see him write with Brian again with the rule that any nostalgic stuff is strictly banned.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 06, 2013, 05:30:56 AM »

The neverending paradox.
In my opinion, I accept Mike as an essential part of the BBs live show. Doesn't mean I have to like Mike trying to run the group or boss the other members around.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx