gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681692 Posts in 27656 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 28, 2024, 11:56:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Examiner interview  (Read 73651 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #225 on: March 19, 2013, 06:21:39 AM »

I just find it difficult to understand by what logic his recent solo work is more authentic or undiluted Brian than TWGMTR.

Absolutely.

Brian's entire solo career has been a scattergun affair from the Police Academy song onwards. There have been many highs and numerous lows. TWGMTR is the album that Brian (and his people) wanted to make.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 19, 2013, 06:39:14 AM »

Or, I should qualify that, I found some of them hilarious.  And I found it captured the essence of the whole "prom" or "cotillion" experience. It is not a song for gen-x-ers. ( and, I mean no offence)  It is an OK song.  They must have had a few chuckles when they wrote it.  

Okay, I admit that, but in the other hand "she had a body you'd kill for, you hoped that she'd take the pill for".

Jukka -yes, you cite one of the funnier lines...but, I think they captured the essence if the earlier 1960's times when young ladies were "presented" socially, wherever their parents had social ties, and I like the "cavernous" metaphorical (in the music context) feel of a large room with young people, maladroit, and nervous about a formal dance. 

That sort of rite-of-passage in the game of courtship.  It sort of presents that window of time, a throwback that someone born and raised either in the 40's or 50's identified with.  And, perhaps analogous to the Art of Courtly Love from Andreas Capellanus, from the Middle Ages. 

And, certainly, they weren't entertained by a rock band, or DJ, but a little orchestra of sorts, in tuxes.  Something that doo-wop contemporaries would understand and relate to ...(well before my time! LOL )

Wink
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 19, 2013, 06:44:38 AM »

I'm by no means a Mike basher, but this interview does rub me the wrong way. What he seems to be doing here is characterizing the appreciation of or desire to see Beach Boys on stage other than himself as sort of a cultish or fringe thing, like referring to a group of fans who are primarily obsessed with Pet Sounds. I think that on a certain level, Mike really believes that he *is* the Beach Boys and the rest of the personnel (Brian excluded) border on peripheral. Whether that is actually true to a certain degree (to a sizable segment of his usual audiences) or not may be up for debate, but he still doesn't need to be pointing it out publicly, or defensively going out of his way to minimize Brian's contributions over the years (since Brian's importance is harder to dismiss outright), as if that provides any justification or is even relevant to his actions.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:47:18 AM by mammy blue » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #228 on: March 19, 2013, 07:12:48 AM »

I'm by no means a Mike basher, but this interview does rub me the wrong way. What he seems to be doing here is characterizing the appreciation of or desire to see Beach Boys on stage other than himself as sort of a cultish or fringe thing, like referring to a group of fans who are primarily obsessed with Pet Sounds. I think that on a certain level, Mike really believes that he *is* the Beach Boys and the rest of the personnel (Brian excluded) border on peripheral. Whether that is actually true to a certain degree (to a sizable segment of his usual audiences) or not may be up for debate, but he still doesn't need to be pointing it out publicly, or defensively going out of his way to minimize Brian's contributions over the years (since Brian's importance is harder to dismiss outright), as if that provides any justification or is even relevant to his actions.

Sorry but I've no idea where you are getting that from at all. A 'cultish or fringe thing'? Nothing that Mike said can be interpreted that way.

There is one crucial comment that Mike made, 'Brian has a very special set of requirements when he goes out and does music. It involves his group of musicians – who are excellent.' That's it in a nutshell.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:14:41 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 19, 2013, 07:18:39 AM »

I went to a M&B show in 2011 and Mike does love the attention without the other members beside Bruce. Bruce just doesn't care anymore with singing or playing music.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 19, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »

He really is living on his own planet
He needs his own reality show.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 19, 2013, 11:01:21 AM »

Everything about this album is horrible to me and there is an unpleasant stench that emanates from it. It's clear that Brian wanted to get it done as quickly as possible and that his 'management' wanted to rope in as many famous faces as they could as an act of turd polishing. Thankfully at least Robbie Williams saw through it and said at the time, 'he probably doesn't even know who I am'.

Wow I never knew they were trying to get (of all people!) Blobbie Williams to record with Brian! I didn't think it was possible to make GIOMH any worse than it already is but, yeah having that idiot guest on it would certainly have done so.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 19, 2013, 11:34:45 AM »

I went to a M&B show in 2011 and Mike does love the attention without the other members beside Bruce. Bruce just doesn't care anymore with singing or playing music.
Hell, even at the 2 C50 shows that I attended, Mike was in full command during show time. If he is nothing else, he is a very good front man who loves interacting with the audience. He knows Brian's value to his livelihood, so I seriously doubt that he was too undone by Brian getting the most applause when introduced.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 19, 2013, 11:44:36 AM »

Mike has been the lead singer since the beginning, and emcee, as well.  In 2011, he did several shows, which had David Marks as guest, discussing his status as a "signatory" as an early teen, and heaping a load of praise his way.  They were in the NY/NJ area.  Each band member gets an intro and a little background from Mike.  Mike is not a solo artist in this context. Mike gives his band mates a chance to shine, as well.  That carried over to C50, as well. 

How can you judge whether someone "cares" about singing or music? 

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 19, 2013, 11:49:12 AM »

I am not totally trashing Mike on this, it just seems like he likes the attention of being "the beach boy". The C50's sharing of attention didn't bother him too much either.

Bruce doesn't play keyboard and only sang on the two songs he had lead on at the M&B show I saw. It was also strange how he didn't bring any new music to the TWGMTR sessions.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 19, 2013, 11:57:09 AM »

Most of Brian's released solo albums (not counting bootleg only stuff which fans tend to salivate over) have come in for heavy criticism on this board. BW88 is overproduced, OCA isn't really a Brian album, IJWMFTT and Imagination are bland, WIRWFC is pointless, and GIOMH is shite. Yet I am constantly reading about "all that Brian has accomplished in the last 15 years". So we have 2 albums acclaimed as masterpieces - BWPS and TLOS - and what else? Oh yeah, years and years of touring with his band playing the greatest hits.

Yup… and don't forget that Brian is the reclusive one, the shy one, the one who only grants a "rare" interview every week or so… LOL
The Beach Boys would have been superstars without Mike Love. Brian Wilson IS the Beach Boys. It's always been about the music. No Brian, Mike would be selling BMWs in La Habra.

Sigh..... Sometimes I wonder if the Brianista fantasyland might be either a nice place to visit or to live.... But then I remember that reality is much more fun.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 19, 2013, 11:57:16 AM »

I am not totally trashing Mike on this, it just seems like he likes the attention of being "the beach boy". The C50's sharing of attention didn't bother him too much either.

Bruce doesn't play keyboard and only sang on the two songs he had lead on at the M&B show I saw. It was also strange how he didn't bring any new music to the TWGMTR sessions.
In concert, Mike is the face of the band. It has always been this way. As for Bruce and TWGMTR, I think Brian & Joe called the all the musical shots on this one. Except for Mike's tune, everything else is Brian. Brian & Joe pretty much had this all worked out before any of the band were brought in for vocals. Didn't Jon or someone say that the record deal was worked out through Brian & Joe's model, and before the rest of the band was on board?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 19, 2013, 12:05:57 PM »

In concert, Mike is the face of the band. It has always been this way. As for Bruce and TWGMTR, I think Brian & Joe called the all the musical shots on this one. Except for Mike's tune, everything else is Brian. Brian & Joe pretty much had this all worked out before any of the band were brought in for vocals. Didn't Jon or someone say that the record deal was worked out through Brian & Joe's model, and before the rest of the band was on board?

You're pretty much right on, except for the fact that apparently Bruce WAS allowed to bring in a tune. They did record said tune. And instead of it being a new, unheard song, it was "She Believes In Love Again" which comes from the 1985 album. I'm pretty sure that is what SMiLE Brian meant by saying it's strange how he didn't bring any new music to the TWGMTR sessions.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 19, 2013, 12:10:41 PM »

The Beach Boys would have been superstars without Mike Love. Brian Wilson IS the Beach Boys. It's always been about the music. No Brian, Mike would be selling BMWs in La Habra.
[/quote]

Well, Mike has certainly come up in the world. Usually, fantasy comments have him pumping gas in LA. Goes to show this is a high class board.  Cool
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 19, 2013, 12:14:33 PM »

You're pretty much right on, except for the fact that apparently Bruce WAS allowed to bring in a tune. They did record said tune. And instead of it being a new, unheard song, it was "She Believes In Love Again" which comes from the 1985 album. I'm pretty sure that is what SMiLE Brian meant by saying it's strange how he didn't bring any new music to the TWGMTR sessions.
Yes, and I am glad that it wasn't released on the album. They did Do It Again as a warm up and I was very happy that it was not included either. I am of the opinion that new albums need new material only.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 19, 2013, 12:14:51 PM »

I sometimes wonder if Brian would have been in a padded room playing an imaginary piano by 1963 if it hadn't been for Mike and his brothers and Al/Dave....

OK, I am running as fast as I can in the opposite direction now!!!!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 19, 2013, 12:26:40 PM »

For as smart and well read as Beach Boys fans are (especially here), it really amazes me how childish they can be about certain band members. Even when presented with the truth, they cannot let go of the myths. As the great Curly Howard once quipped. "Truth is stranger than fiction, judgy wudgy!"

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 19, 2013, 12:33:50 PM »

For as smart and well read as Beach Boys fans are (especially here), it really amazes me how childish they can be about certain band members. Even when presented with the truth, they cannot let go of the myths. As the great Curly Howard once quipped.

"Truth is stranger than fiction, judgy wudgy!"

And, always more amusing!   LOL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 19, 2013, 12:34:58 PM »

The Beach Boys are a pretty childish band..... We learn from our heroes (and villains)
Nicko1234
« Reply #244 on: March 19, 2013, 12:43:22 PM »

Wow I never knew they were trying to get (of all people!) Blobbie Williams to record with Brian! I didn't think it was possible to make GIOMH any worse than it already is but, yeah having that idiot guest on it would certainly have done so.

Yeah, Robbie Williams and Sting turned it down (the latter apparently down to other commitments) and there may be others.
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 19, 2013, 01:09:51 PM »

Sorry but I've no idea where you are getting that from at all. A 'cultish or fringe thing'? Nothing that Mike said can be interpreted that way.

"I think it was great for those Beach Boys fans that wanted to see us all together." - ML

Are there Beach Boys fans who would rather not see them all together? Were there people at C50 thinking, "This is great, but I wish the guy with the ball cap and the keyboard man with knee high socks could be up there alone"?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 01:11:10 PM by mammy blue » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: March 19, 2013, 01:13:04 PM »

"I think it was great for those Beach Boys fans that wanted to see us all together." - ML

Are there Beach Boys fans who would rather not see them all together? Were there people at C50 thinking, "This is great, but I wish the guy with the ball cap and the keyboard man with knee high socks could be up there alone"?

Cheesy
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 19, 2013, 01:28:31 PM »

I think Mike was referring to fans who were wishing for or anticipating a reunion, fans who knew the names of the different members, fans who actually followed the history of the group, fans who were diehards, maybe even fans on message boards who follow trivial events, as opposed to casual fans who just went to Beach Boys concerts to hear the hits and didn't know the first thing about the members. Mike's statement made perfect sense to me. I'm surprised you didn't understand what he meant.
Nicko1234
« Reply #248 on: March 19, 2013, 01:46:20 PM »

I think Mike was referring to fans who were wishing for or anticipating a reunion, fans who knew the names of the different members, fans who actually followed the history of the group, fans who were diehards, maybe even fans on message boards who follow trivial events, as opposed to casual fans who just went to Beach Boys concerts to hear the hits and didn't know the first thing about the members. Mike's statement made perfect sense to me. I'm surprised you didn't understand what he meant.

This.
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 19, 2013, 01:59:11 PM »

So, the Beach Boys should just exist as an entity that appeals to the lowest common denominator. You could stick a guy from the local gas station up there and tell the crowd he's the lead guitarist, and they wouldn't know the damn difference. Mike doesn't even need to be there. How about Stamos and an old guy who does a passable Mike Love impression? I mean, it'll do... it's only the Beach Boys, right? A lot of people don't know the difference, so to quote David St. Hubbins, "Why not?"... Thanks for clearing it up for me, guys.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx