gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 02:30:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Be True To Your School LP  (Read 3226 times)
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2013, 12:45:21 PM »

I went into my local,tiny,dusty used record shop tthe other day and for $5 I picked up the above titled lp. Its on EMI/Capitol and its mono. The number is N-16273. Has a cool shot on the back cover which is really a blow-up of the "Don't Worry Baby" 45 picture sleeve. Is this desireable? I like it!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 12:57:12 PM »

It's a most odd compilation, being, essentially, the 45 version of "BTTYS" plus the bulk of the tracks Capitol pruned from the early/mid 60s albums when they reissued then in the early 80s.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 01:32:13 PM »

AGD has this Capitol budget album released in 1982. I see it elsewhere as seeing the light of day in 1983. No matter, some people thing this dark green labelled album as being a very high quality pressing compared to others, as are the yellow-labelled re-issued Capitol albums from that era. Going for around 8-12 bucks mint. Good cover picture - I think from the UCLA campus in 1964. Good find, Jim!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 01:32:44 PM »

Frustratingly, the excised tracks from the duophonic green label reissues, namely "In The Back Of My Mind", "Amussement Parks U.S.A." and "I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man" were released in mono form. Pity then that Today and Summer Days... weren't released in mono as, by all accounts, these green label versions represent some of the best sound quality to be heard.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 01:49:36 PM »

AGD has this Capitol budget album released in 1982. I see it elsewhere as seeing the light of day in 1983. No matter, some people thing this dark green labelled album as being a very high quality pressing compared to others, as are the yellow-labelled re-issued Capitol albums from that era. Going for around 8-12 bucks mint. Good cover picture - I think from the UCLA campus in 1964. Good find, Jim!

The yellow label ones are earlier. There was an entire set of green label issues.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 02:17:38 PM »

Not counting Capitol Starline labels:

Light green Capitol label - '69 to '71

Red and orange labels - '72 - '78

Yellow and Purple Capitol label came out around 1975.

Dark green label - '82 or '83.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 02:30:37 PM »

Not counting Capitol Starline labels:

Light green Capitol label - '69 to '71

Red and orange labels - '72 - '78

Yellow and Purple Capitol label came out around 1975.

Dark green label - '82 or '83.

Purples started in 1978.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 02:32:22 PM »

Dark green, such as this one, started in 1980:
http://www.discogs.com/Beach-Boys-Pet-Sounds/release/2074097

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 03:42:10 PM »

Talking U.S. 33 1/3 LP vinyl albums here. Capitol custom labels, imitating the earlier label styles, had been appearing as early as 1975. By 1977, the decision was made to go retro with a label similar to the old purple label that had been used on both 78's and LP’s. That was the first generation. Second generation with different print was 1978. Third generation (1980) was like the '78 version - slightly different. From mid-1988 onward, a slightly different label has been in use by Capitol.

Sources: Daniels, Hemmingsen, Pelletier, and my collection.  Grin

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 04:33:40 PM »

Talking U.S. 33 1/3 LP vinyl albums here. Capitol custom labels, imitating the earlier label styles, had been appearing as early as 1975. By 1977, the decision was made to go retro with a label similar to the old purple label that had been used on both 78's and LP’s. That was the first generation. Second generation with different print was 1978. Third generation (1980) was like the '78 version - slightly different. From mid-1988 onward, a slightly different label has been in use by Capitol.

Sources: Daniels, Hemmingsen, Pelletier, and my collection.  Grin

That's nice, I have 8000 albums and have been collecting for 34 years. So yeah, I'm talking US 33 1/3 vinyl LPs as well. Custom labels are not the issue. We're talking stock labels. I have non-custom 1977 Capitol albums, such as Kraftwerk's Trans Europe Express, and all of them sport orange labels.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:34:41 PM by I. Just Beat Your Ass » Logged

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 04:36:52 PM »

It's a most odd compilation, being, essentially, the 45 version of "BTTYS" plus the bulk of the tracks Capitol pruned from the early/mid 60s albums when they reissued then in the early 80s.

Indeed. In a way similar to what Capitol did with some of The Beatles American albums in the 60's. But YESTERDAY & TODAY it is not. 
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 04:57:57 PM »

Sources: Daniels, Hemmingsen, Pelletier, and my collection.  Grin

That's nice, I have 8000 albums and have been collecting for 34 years. So yeah, I'm talking US 33 1/3 vinyl LPs as well. Custom labels are not the issue. We're talking stock labels. I have non-custom 1977 Capitol albums, such as Kraftwerk's Trans Europe Express, and all of them sport orange labels.

Whatia want, a medal?  I've been collecting albums since my Mom gave me the "Meet The Beatles" album in 1964! Issat more than 34 years ago? I think so.......

And with that obnoxious moniker, I feel compelled to follow you all over this board to find fault with your posts. What's the matter, the Record Room and Steve Hoffman board ain't keeping Mr. Know-It-All busy enough? "I Just Beat Your Ass" has argument and slugfest all over it!  And a right to the left, and a left to the right, and oooooo, a left uppercut, aaaaaaand an overhand right to the snot locker!!   Grin

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »

Nice way of addressing my knowledge of the subject at hand. My monicker is a day-long joke, whoosh-man. I was hoping you were going to mention the black custom label on The Band's Moondog Matinee from 1973.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 09:12:25 AM »

I like this comp a lot ... the sound is great and it's all mono, even for tracks like 'custom machine'. I find myself playing this record and the '68 'best of vol 3' more than a lot of other BB records for some reason.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 11:33:03 AM »

AGD has this Capitol budget album released in 1982. I see it elsewhere as seeing the light of day in 1983.

I bought it in June 1982, when it first hit the record stores.
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 11:24:31 PM »

Anyone have a hi-res scan of the artwork?  I looked on google images, but couldn't find anything.  Sounds like a good comp!

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 02:25:30 AM »

Here you go:

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 06:31:52 AM »

Very cool looking sleeve!  Thanks!

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx