gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:53:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any of you guys Pearl Jam fans?  (Read 22819 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 27, 2012, 09:14:44 PM »

Kurt had one of the greatest and most distinctive of rock voices, nearly equal to John Lennon's in my opinion. Technically, Chris Cornell is by far the best male singer of his generation.

DEFINATELY!  I'm serious, when I hear Cornell, it's like listening to Frank Sinatra.  Not that he's got the greatest voice ever, but that he could literally sing anything and sound great.  Chris Cornell is easily the best Rock singer of the past 30 40 years. 

I hated Hunger Strike when it came out, but I heard that recently, and holy crap, he wails on that one especially.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 27, 2012, 09:15:23 PM »

Everything got posted so fast I got mixed up. That seriously offended the f*** out of me, especially as a parent and one who has lost two kids.

I got enough health and financial issues that I don't need this additional stress.

I can dig it.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 27, 2012, 09:16:10 PM »

Everything got posted so fast I got mixed up. That seriously offended the f*** out of me, especially as a parent and one who has lost two kids.

I got enough health and financial issues that I don't need this additional stress.
It's also offensive to someone like myself that has family in CT that are deeply affected by that massacre.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 27, 2012, 09:18:50 PM »

It's also offensive to someone like myself that has family in CT that are deeply affected by that massacre.

It (a comment, yes, I shouldn't have made) was meant to be offensive to you. I was just as offended, having had published writing well before you were born, to have my musical taste called crap. It isn't, trust me.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 27, 2012, 09:20:37 PM »

It (a comment, yes, I shouldn't have made) was meant to be offensive to you. I was just as offended, having had published writing well before you were born, to have my musical taste called crap. It isn't, trust me.
This was the 3rd time I seen you post something absolutely ridiculous about a great singer. I can understand you not liking Foo Fighters but how about Pearl Jam? Stone Temple Pilots?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 27, 2012, 09:23:35 PM »

Lets just call it a night..... Smiley

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 27, 2012, 09:25:54 PM »

This was the 3rd time I seen you post something absolutely ridiculous about a great singer. I can understand you not liking Foo Fighters but how about Pearl Jam? Stone Temple Pilots?

It is the 1838th time I have seen you post something absolutely ridiculous, and I don't follow you around. I can understand you liking Pearl Jam, The Foo Fighters and Stone Temple Pilots, but how about Funkadelic? James Brown? The United States Of America? Carl Perkins? Bikini Kill? Edgard Varese? The Shangri-Las? The New York Dolls? Terry Reid? Buddy Guy? Essra Mohawk? Laura Nyro? The 5th DImension? The Free Design? Mose Allison? Sarah Vaughan? Billie Holiday? Spiritualized?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 09:27:32 PM by I. Spaceman » Logged

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 27, 2012, 09:31:13 PM »

It is the 3 billionth time I have seen you post something absolutely ridiculous, and I don't follow you around. I can understand you liking Pearl Jam, The Foo Fighters and Stone Temple Pilots, but how about Funkadelic? James Brown? The United States Of America? Carl Perkins? Bikini Kill? Edgard Varese? The Shangri-Las? The New York Dolls? Terry Reid? Buddy Guy? Essra Mohawk? Laura Nyro? The 5th DImension? The Free Design? Mose Allison? Sarah Vaughan? Billie Holiday? Spiritualized?
I do enjoy James Brown music and love his performances. (Well at least the dozen I've seen on Youtube.) Carl Perkins is pretty decent too (not my taste in music but can respect what he brought to rock n roll...Most of my older friends are rockabillies that love his stuff.) The New York Dolls are a group that my father put me on and I've been a fan ever since..Personality Crisis was one of the first songs I heard as a child. Billie Holiday is another singer my brother showed me but I could never get into her music (besides strange fruit of course) but I do love Amy Winehouse which is a huge fan/admirer of Billie's music.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: December 27, 2012, 09:34:23 PM »

People's music tastes are their own. Not everybody likes the same stuff. I mean, there's artists I love that other people don't and vice versa. It's what makes us different and individuals. That said, even for artists I don't like, I try to find something good to say about them, even if it's not my cup of tea. As a writer/producer myself, I know all too well what it's like to labor over a song, and put everything into it. I have a hard time saying something sucks when someone has put hard effort into it. Now, if I don't like something, I'll definitely say something about it, but very rarely if ever will I say someone lacks talent. It is nigh-impossible to have a career in music without having some sort of talent; hell, oftentimes somebody becomes famous for something that they aren't good at, but have more talent in other areas that end up getting ignored.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 27, 2012, 09:36:20 PM »

Kurt had one of the greatest and most distinctive of rock voices, nearly equal to John Lennon's in my opinion. Technically, Chris Cornell is by far the best male singer of his generation.

DEFINATELY!  I'm serious, when I hear Cornell, it's like listening to Frank Sinatra.  Not that he's got the greatest voice ever, but that he could literally sing anything and sound great.  Chris Cornell is easily the best Rock singer of the past 30 40 years. 

I hated Hunger Strike when it came out, but I heard that recently, and holy crap, he wails on that one especially.

Yeah... he's got the typical issues a lot of these guys have, you get tired of him whining after a while, but every once in a while he does something amazing and your jaw drops.  Cornell, better than anybody, can fill an arena with his voice.  When he hits a chorus, and it's a huge venue, and you can hear that tone echoing off every inch of the building, it's something extraordinary, imho.  

I'm not a huge fan either, but gotta give props where due.  

You can see it a little bit here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uD7u41E12U

He starts off mumbling like he always does.  He's generally pretty crappy live... but by the time he gets to the chorus, you start getting chills, he just has that 'sound'.  

Sadly I think he's starting to lose it, though.  He doesn't sound as good there as he did back in the day, and he doesn't sound as good now as he did then.  The guy doesn't strike me as particularly taking care of himself very well.  
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 27, 2012, 09:36:48 PM »

It is the 3 billionth time I have seen you post something absolutely ridiculous, and I don't follow you around. I can understand you liking Pearl Jam, The Foo Fighters and Stone Temple Pilots, but how about Funkadelic? James Brown? The United States Of America? Carl Perkins? Bikini Kill? Edgard Varese? The Shangri-Las? The New York Dolls? Terry Reid? Buddy Guy? Essra Mohawk? Laura Nyro? The 5th DImension? The Free Design? Mose Allison? Sarah Vaughan? Billie Holiday? Spiritualized?
I do enjoy James Brown music and love his performances. (Well at least the dozen I've seen on Youtube.) Carl Perkins is pretty decent too (not my taste in music but can respect what he brought to rock n roll...Most of my older friends are rockabillies that love his stuff.) The New York Dolls are a group that my father put me on and I've been a fan ever since..Personality Crisis was one of the first songs I heard as a child. Billie Holiday is another singer my brother showed me but I could never get into her music (besides strange fruit of course) but I do love Amy Winehouse which is a huge fan/admirer of Billie's music.

Well, Amy is very, very near and dear to my heart, I lighten at the very thought of her, so I'll cease hostilities of any form. But don't go after me in the future, mate, it ain't cool.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2012, 09:37:42 PM »

Yeah... he's got the typical issues a lot of these guys have, you get tired of him whining after a while, but every once in a while he does something amazing and your jaw drops.  Cornell, better than anybody, can fill an arena with his voice.  When he hits a chorus, and it's a huge venue, and you can hear that tone echoing off every inch of the building, it's something extraordinary, imho.  

I'm not a huge fan either, but gotta give props where due.  

You can see it a little bit here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uD7u41E12U

He starts off mumbling like he always does.  He's generally pretty crappy live... but by the time he gets to the chorus, you start getting chills, he just has that 'sound'.  

Sadly I think he's starting to lose it, though.  He doesn't sound as good there as he did back in the day, and he doesn't sound as good now as he did then.  The guy doesn't strike me as particularly taking care of himself very well.  

Agreed. He is likely ashamed of what a good voice he has, a backward inferiority complex.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2012, 09:41:06 PM »

Well, Amy is very, very near and dear to my heart, I lighten at the very thought of her, so I'll cease hostilities of any form. But don't go after me in the future, mate, it ain't cool.
What are your top 3 songs by Amy?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2012, 09:50:21 PM »

Well, today, I guess I'll say Love Is A Losing Game, Tears Dry On Their Own and Wake Up Alone. Those all slay me. But I love em all, all the Frank songs, B-sides, etc. I just recently was able to handle listening to Lioness, and it knocked me out. I imagine a couple of those will work their way up my favorites list given time.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2012, 10:01:18 PM »

Well, today, I guess I'll say Love Is A Losing Game, Tears Dry On Their Own and Wake Up Alone. Those all slay me. But I love em all, all the Frank songs, B-sides, etc. I just recently was able to handle listening to Lioness, and it knocked me out. I imagine a couple of those will work their way up my favorites list given time.
Finally we can agree on something musical...Those songs are absolutely stellar. (especially love is a losing game) Whenever I hear that song it makes me happy but also sad because we lost a legend (Yes I said a legend!!) She single handedly revitalized modern jazz more than Norah Jones but her lifestyle and drug addiction took her down a deadly road. My top 3 are Love is a losing game, Me & Mr. Jones & Our Day Will Come. (Her cover of that song truly is the definitely version for me.)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 27, 2012, 10:06:19 PM »

Great choices. Me And Mr. Jones is incredible. I remember the first time I heard Back To Black. When I heard Rehab, I thought I understood what she was about, and immediately categorised it: retro production/arrangements with modern lyrics. Then, You Know I'm No Good came on. I thought "Hey, she's actually a really great singer and songwriter!". Then, Me And Mr. Jones came on. I thought "Oh, I see. This is one of the greatest albums OF ALL TIME".
Her version of Our Day Will Come is absolutely incredible. If you can, check out Isaac Hayes' version as well, with the Ike's Rap before it. Very moving.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 27, 2012, 10:21:44 PM »

Great choices. Me And Mr. Jones is incredible. I remember the first time I heard Back To Black. When I heard Rehab, I thought I understood what she was about, and immediately categorised it: retro production/arrangements with modern lyrics. Then, You Know I'm No Good came on. I thought "Hey, she's actually a really great singer and songwriter!". Then, Me And Mr. Jones came on. I thought "Oh, I see. This is one of the greatest albums OF ALL TIME".
Her version of Our Day Will Come is absolutely incredible. If you can, check out Isaac Hayes' version as well, with the Ike's Rap before it. Very moving.
When I first heard Rehab I was like pretty young and was like Ughhh Here we go with another silly song by a one hit wonder. Then I heard two "Me and Mr. Jones" & "Love is a Losing Game" while me and my partner (at the time) were being intimate and I asked her after we were finished who sung those songs and she told me it was Amy Winehouse. (I was surprised that it was the same woman that did Rehab. Sure her voice didn't sound much different but the whole feel of those songs were completely different and actually stood out to me.) Then I did my research and checked out Frank and ever since I became a fan. Back to Black was a solid album but in my opinion it didn't top Frank..It would have to be a mircal to top such an increidble debut like Frank. (She was way beyond her time and it's a shame that she is no longer here with us but at least we have her beautiful music that will continue to live on forever...bless her soul.)
I will check out Haye's version of Our Day Will Come right now.  Smiley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2012, 10:26:21 PM »

Well.  Now I can't enjoy Amy Winehouse anymore. 
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2012, 10:38:10 PM »

Well.  Now I can't enjoy Amy Winehouse anymore. 
Lol Jerk  LOL
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2012, 02:22:47 AM »

I always thought Chris Cornell was a great singer. Hunger Strike came out when I was young, so it has a nostalgic quality for me. I agree that Chris really sang the crap out of it, especially near the end. Just out of curiosity, what do you think of Say Hello To Heaven, by Temple of The Dog? In my opinion, it's one of the great underrated songs of the 90's. Chris Cornell really gets crazy on that track!  The guitar work is awesome too.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2012, 02:36:37 AM »

I always really liked Amy Winehouse. I guess you could call it a guilty pleasure, because after a while not liking her became the popular thing to do. She was always ridiculed in the press and treated like a screwed up junkie who didn't belong in the music profession. But she was a hell of a singer, and had some great songs. Love Is A Losing Game is, in my opinion, a masterpeace. I sometimes wonder what Dennis Wilson would think of it, or how a version by him would sound. It is one of the rare songs that make me cry. The line "over futile odds, and laughed at by the Gods" is especially heartbreaking. It's like she saw that there was no hope, and was resigned to her fate.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 02:46:10 AM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Paulos
« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2012, 03:20:33 AM »

I always really liked Amy Winehouse. I guess you could call it a guilty pleasure, because after a while not liking her became the popular thing to do. She was always ridiculed in the press and treated like a screwed up junkie who didn't belong in the music profession. But she was a hell of a singer, and had some great songs. Love Is A Losing Game is, in my opinion, a masterpeace. I sometimes wonder what Dennis Wilson would think of it, or how a version by him would sound. It is one of the rare songs that make me cry. The line "over futile odds, and laughed at by the Gods" is especially heartbreaking. It's like she saw that there was no hope, and was resigned to her fate.

You are absolutely correct about it becoming popular to hate Amy, this was driven by the despicable British media who painted her as a no-talent, drug addled wreck instead of celebrating her as one of the most important artists we'd had in a long time. What really got to me was when she died it was 'drug users get what they deserve' attitude from the media and the majority of the public, a few months later the coroner report comes back and showed that she died from alcohol intoxication but none of these media outlets found it necessary to apologise.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 28, 2012, 07:42:31 AM »

When I read newguy's posts I picture a wee puppy acting like a big dog. It's cute. Sometimes annoying. But rarely ever worth responding to.

For the record Nirvana was one of those rare entities that really defined a moment, across the board, for a wide and diverse audience. That is why they kicked major ass then and why they are still kicking major ass now.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 28, 2012, 01:18:37 PM »

When I read newguy's posts I picture a wee puppy acting like a big dog. It's cute. Sometimes annoying. But rarely ever worth responding to.

For the record Nirvana was one of those rare entities that really defined a moment, across the board, for a wide and diverse audience. That is why they kicked major ass then and why they are still kicking major ass now.
Like a chihuahua barking in a room full of pit bulls? LOL

Yes my father used to force their music on me when I was a child and I eventually just got used to and eventually ended up liking it. With the Foo Fighters & Stone Temple Pilots I automatically enjoyed their music once I heard it it just clicked.
When I first heard the BB's/Beatles/Ramones the same thing happened but with David Bowie,Velvet Underground,Radiohead it took a while to get into them all but once I did I grew to love them.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 28, 2012, 01:29:23 PM »

I used to hate the  vegetables my parents forced on me, while I instantly liked bubblegum.

See what I did there?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx