gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681288 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 12:17:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Little Richard - 80th birthday  (Read 5379 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 05:46:44 AM »

I'm not familiar with that particular re-recorded cd

Most "cheap" best-ofs I've seen of him feature those re-recordings. They are really great.

I never understood why all of the older guys re-recorded all of their material.

There are different reasons. One might be the change to another label and the first thing back then was to put out a best of (with titles as "Golden hits", etc.) on the new label. But since the new label didn't have the rights to the older recordings the artist re-recorded them.

Of course there are other reasons as well. Jerry Lee re-recorded some of his biggest in '88 for the "Great balls of fire"-movie and - hands down - he sang the sh!t out of those and bettered his original recordings. He re-recorded songs all through his carreer though.

That said, I have to respectfully disagree with you, Ron. I guess I see your point but I just can't agree with it.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 08:25:42 AM »

The original recordings, they don't get anything from.  If you buy an original Little Richard album he gets 0 from it, because the record company owned the publishing rights, and he sold the songwriting rights. 

If he re-records an album, he still doesn't own the songwriting rights, but he owns (or the record company) the publishing rights for the new material.  So every album that sells, he gets a piece of. 

John Denver did a really good one about a month before he died, he re-recorded all his hits in 2 days at a studio at his home, then had a second CD of later material that I assume he may have still owned.  It's sad to hear though, although he was still a great singer, his voice had lost all of it's optimism, and youth, and happiness that was all over the original records.  Now they all sounded bittersweet and sad.  Probably my favorite re-recordings, though.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 01:00:41 PM »

I'm not familiar with that particular re-recorded cd, although he did countless remakes of his hits during his comeback attempt in the 60s'. I do, however, have a recording of Good Golly Miss Molly from the film King Ralph, and Richard is just as compelling and convincing on that remake as he was on the original. He did quite a few recordings for movies in the 80's, 90's and 00's, there's some great stuff there. My favorite is Elevator Operator - I don't recall the film, but the song is on youtube.

Here are some of those re-recordings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wARtmuX3IRk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYr7I4gOSXk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMY4tNBGixg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j20_6WwF59Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc_F3PaYgl0

and something rare as hell:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX3CDY2XJQw

and a nice TV report plus song from the 90s:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doq42dU4F6E
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:24:06 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2012, 12:35:37 AM »

That is some smokin' stuff there! Just a theory here: Richard spent the late 70's and early 80's traveling as an evangelist and singing gospel. Gradually eased his way back into show biz after his book came out. Maybe the fact that he hadn't sung those songs in so long made him appreciate them more when he finally came back to rock and roll. Most of his peers had been traveling the oldies circuit, singing the same songs night after night, year after year. I got to see one of his comeback shows in 1989 at Bumbershoot in Seattle. When he came out and started playing the piano, and went into Good Golly Miss Molly, it was like an explosion going off! He still had it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2012, 06:25:17 AM »

That is some smokin' stuff there! Just a theory here: Richard spent the late 70's and early 80's traveling as an evangelist and singing gospel. Gradually eased his way back into show biz after his book came out. Maybe the fact that he hadn't sung those songs in so long made him appreciate them more when he finally came back to rock and roll. Most of his peers had been traveling the oldies circuit, singing the same songs night after night, year after year. I got to see one of his comeback shows in 1989 at Bumbershoot in Seattle. When he came out and started playing the piano, and went into Good Golly Miss Molly, it was like an explosion going off! He still had it.

I don't know. Jerry Lee sounded just as good when he re-recorded his songs for the "Great balls of fire" movie in '88

- Jack Rieley
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2012, 12:20:15 PM »

I don't know. Jerry Lee sounded just as good when he re-recorded his songs for the "Great balls of fire" movie in '88

Jerry Lee made vital music in the 60s and 70s and into the 80s -- of course a lot of it was in the country vein.  I saw him circa 1977 in south FL at a county fair type thing.  There were a mix of fans -- some old rock and rollers, then country music types, and just passerby.  Perhaps a handful of younger appreciators like me you might also see at a Kinks or Elvis Costello show (or Beach Boys!).  Anyway I mention this, because for about two thirds of the gig Jerry lee was on cruise control -- phoning it in which was still good.  Then during "Me and Bobby McGee" as he played the solo, he kept it going round after round, building it frantically and going places I have never heard a piano player go (okay barring Terry Adams).  For the next few songs it was some of the most transcendent music I have ever heard.  Then "Whole Lotta Shakin'" and goodbye.

Loved the book "Hellfire" by Nick Tosches btw, which captured perfectly his energy and aura and karma.  And I'd say Little Richard has a similar if less dark complexity.  Both are indispensable.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2012, 04:43:49 PM »

Pretty amazing the age he did those re-recordings in.  Wow, now I gotta go dig that c.d. out and put it in my car again. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 11:05:07 PM »

Ok, here's the million dollar question. Who did Lucky Old Sun better, Brian or Jerry Lee? My vote goes to Jerry Lee.  Cool

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2012, 05:58:29 AM »

Ok, here's the million dollar question. Who did Lucky Old Sun better, Brian or Jerry Lee? My vote goes to Jerry Lee.  Cool

Jerry Lee's '88 version is the best I've heard so far. Fantastic piano playing on that, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbU-eTPYKbM

@Aum Bop Diddit:
Thanks for your report! Even in his drunkest form the Killer can blow away everyone and everything. It's remarkable. I don't think that most people really appreciate or understand what talent that boy has.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 06:03:48 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2012, 07:02:30 AM »

It's been up on youtube for some years but did any of you guys see this Little Richard show from '66? Anyone know the correct running order?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRSBh5ddlbA

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx