gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681552 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 10:27:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Photos From "My Solution" Recording Session ?  (Read 6091 times)
originals
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2012, 01:30:55 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gek_4Pqce2Y

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 01:44:20 PM »

Thanks!!
I had never seen that first photo.

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 01:45:19 PM »

Awesome...yet strangely creepy!

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 01:50:48 PM »

First time I have ever heard this song. Makes me like "Happy Days" more.
originals
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 02:07:55 PM »

What a trippy song. I love it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 02:10:03 PM »

The backing track that was recorded around "Keepin' the summer alive" sounds also quiet good.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 03:29:46 PM »

I've heard them both.  The 1970 version is just "odd".  They manage to come up with some fairly creepy sounds...and Brian's campy narration is really funny.  I'm just not sure what they were getting at.  With any other artist I'd just dismiss this as some fun in the studio...but when Brian Wilson is involved you cannot completely rule out that this was a serious attempt to create something (though, I really doubt it)! 

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 04:56:44 PM »

I've heard them both.  The 1970 version is just "odd".  They manage to come up with some fairly creepy sounds...and Brian's campy narration is really funny.  I'm just not sure what they were getting at.  With any other artist I'd just dismiss this as some fun in the studio...but when Brian Wilson is involved you cannot completely rule out that this was a serious attempt to create something (though, I really doubt it)!  

He actually references the song by name in a mid-70s interview as having an interesting vocal arrangement (or something simiilar). He's particularly rambly during this part, but it's all fascinating stuff for a fan - it's the only tme I've ever heard Brian reference a few specific songs, including this one.

I do think "My Solution" is mostly just Brian and co. having some fun, although some of it may have been something Brian had sitting around as an idea. Still, if it is mostly a toss-off, 'tis further proof of Brian's brilliance given the quality of some of the raw aspects of it.

Is Dennis on this song? I feel like folks say he isn't, but I'd swear that's him prominently heard in the "I knew I'd found" parts. Bruce is very audible, too.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:00:27 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 06:16:13 PM »

Thanks!!
I had never seen that first photo.

The second picture first showed up in Creme Magazine I bought back in the day. There were other pictures ioncluding a classic Denny pic.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 07:31:30 PM »

It is quite interesting that Brian would recycle the music decades later for "Happy Days".  If you consider he had another go around 1980, too, it must have been a very intriguing melody for him.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 09:32:07 PM »

I've heard them both.  The 1970 version is just "odd".  They manage to come up with some fairly creepy sounds...and Brian's campy narration is really funny.  I'm just not sure what they were getting at.  With any other artist I'd just dismiss this as some fun in the studio...but when Brian Wilson is involved you cannot completely rule out that this was a serious attempt to create something (though, I really doubt it)!  

He actually references the song by name in a mid-70s interview as having an interesting vocal arrangement (or something simiilar). He's particularly rambly during this part, but it's all fascinating stuff for a fan - it's the only tme I've ever heard Brian reference a few specific songs, including this one.

I do think "My Solution" is mostly just Brian and co. having some fun, although some of it may have been something Brian had sitting around as an idea. Still, if it is mostly a toss-off, 'tis further proof of Brian's brilliance given the quality of some of the raw aspects of it.

Is Dennis on this song? I feel like folks say he isn't, but I'd swear that's him prominently heard in the "I knew I'd found" parts. Bruce is very audible, too.

There's a 1976 interview where Brian says that My Solution was going to be on Love You...
I sort of wish that it was

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 09:48:30 PM »

i just think it's weird they had that same mask that was used in the 'wasn't made for these times' promo !

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 05:38:54 AM »

I think it is more like an updated "Monster mash". The verses/spoken parts could've needed more work to it as they don't sound very convincing. But on the whole I think that a finished version would be interesting

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 10:06:53 AM »

I think it is more like an updated "Monster mash". The verses/spoken parts could've needed more work to it as they don't sound very convincing. But on the whole I think that a finished version would be interesting

Yes!  I was thinking "Monster Mash", too!  If they had actually "worked" on it...I guess it could have been an interesting novelty track.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 10:39:39 AM »

Shame they recorded it on Halloween, as it would've been a super cool one off non-album Halloween '45. Backed with "Monster Mash", maybe?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 11:36:23 PM »

I really hpe that this track is on the box set.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 12:15:03 AM »

Would anyone take a guess as to what instruments are on this track?  Is it mostly Moog that I'm hearing?
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 08:49:12 AM »

So is that the second time Brian painted his face green?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 09:07:17 AM »

I wanted to point out something very specific in the above photo - for those interested in whatever happened to Brian's Smiley Smile era white Baldwin organ, it can be seen peeking out in the background. Look just behind Al and Mike, and you'll see the white music stand-holder from the Baldwin with the x-bracing. So it was still there at the time of this session, and it would be interesting to note how often it was used after 1967. Note too, in the b&w photo, they're leaning on a Leslie speaker, but I'm guessing that was partnered with the Hammond organ which Bruce is sitting at for that airline promo commercial...but I have no idea.

Just to refresh: Has anyone ever determined what happened to that white Baldwin? Did Brian keep it all these years?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:08:37 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 01:46:38 PM »

Brian on "My solution"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=J_n0ITu2qJU#t=239s

- Jack Rieley
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 04:49:42 AM »

What a great little record.  Is this the best-sounding version out there?

I'm with Jay, one of my first thoughts after it was done playing was how it would be nice to have a cleaned-up version on the box.

Does anyone have an inkling of how the 'Boys view this piece today?  Is this recording in good-standing with the group?  I mean just how likely is it to see the light of day, considering it was reapportioned by Brian later?

Rocker, that interview is neat-o.  You know, I've noted links to it before during my youtube excursions, but hadn't checked it out until now.  Thank you.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 11:47:51 AM »

I've always thought that the narration sounds like he's reading someone else's script for the first time. An uneasy listen.

That first pic, by the way, looks like Brian's head on a platter.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 02:48:13 PM »

And it's interesting that they saved that rubber mask from the "That's Not Me" video. (I guess they'd only saved it for what, 3 years or so?)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 09:54:12 PM »

I wonder how Happy Days came to be? I mean, My Solution is an ultra obscure and weird song to reference from the back catalogue. Did somebody hear it, and mention it to Brian? Or did somebody play it for him? If Brian woke up one morning with the song in his head, then he must have a very "unique" brain.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 08:31:21 AM »

I wonder how Happy Days came to be? I mean, My Solution is an ultra obscure and weird song to reference from the back catalogue. Did somebody hear it, and mention it to Brian? Or did somebody play it for him? If Brian woke up one morning with the song in his head, then he must have a very "unique" brain.  LOL

Well, given that Brian mentioned it in the '77 interview and recorded another backing track for KTSA I guess it wasn't as obscure to him

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx