gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:11:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A bunch of us SmileySmilers recorded a cover of Add Some Music. Take a listen!  (Read 12581 times)
egon spengler
« on: July 11, 2012, 07:06:55 AM »

I've admired the crazy talented folks over on the "Smiley Smilers Who Make Music" board for years, so I asked six of them to collaborate on a cover of Add Some Music To Your Day.  They all were awesome enough to help out, so we split the leads and background vocals up betwen the seven of us (seltaeb1012002, Austin, rab2591, me, dmcguire70, JMZ, and FatherOfTheMan).  We each recorded our parts separately (from three continents!), and I pieced them together on my end. The result is pretty spectacular.. check out the "full band" version (followed by an acapella version) here:

http://youtu.be/HaZNgwmLuRI  (keep the annotations on to see who sang and played what)

You can download mp3 versions here, if you're so inclined: http://soundcloud.com/adwolf16/tracks

We're so happy with how it turned out, we're working out the details of doing more songs together in this thread. Check it out if you're interested in joining in!  

Hope you all like it!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 07:02:55 AM by egon spengler » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 07:11:52 AM »

Wow, fantastic job guys!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 07:25:02 AM »

What a great idea. Perfectly executed.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 07:28:44 AM »

Simply wonderful.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »

Really impressive - well done all involved!! I can't believe how faithful the harmonies are. This must have taken months!

It really put a smile on my face when the Mike Love Ba Ba be doo be doop parts came in just after the Musiiiic .... is like a companion middle 8.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 07:31:03 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 07:49:57 AM »

Start that thread! This kicks ass.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 07:56:20 AM »

WOW, This is incredible, I'm so jealous of you guys..

More please, much more

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 07:59:05 AM »

I would like to help out next time something like this goes down Smiley

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 08:55:54 AM »

This is one of the best Beach Boys covers I've ever heard from fans like you! You need to do some more, although this was obviously the best choice for this sort of thing.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 08:57:41 AM »

I'm thinking next maybe a good song that had bad production... 80's anyone?

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 09:16:06 AM »

Cool idea, man. "Somewhere Near Japan" might work well. As someone else said, I would love to be a part too if a next one goes down.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
egon spengler
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 09:18:20 AM »

Start that thread! This kicks ass.

Consider it done! http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13804.0.html

It really put a smile on my face when the Mike Love Ba Ba be doo be doop parts came in just after the Musiiiic .... is like a companion middle 8.

FOTM is being modest--that's him on that line Cool
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 09:22:31 AM »

I want to also thank Mr. Spengler for his role in all of this. Besides doing the essential (sometimes grinding) tasks of producing and performing, he also provided all the vocal charts (transcribed by ear, is that right?) and early mixes we needed to blend our parts, both of which were completely indispensable. Some excellent coordination and production was a big key in making this work.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 09:25:22 AM »

I want to also thank Mr. Spengler for his role in all of this. Besides doing the essential (sometimes grinding) tasks of producing and performing, he also provided all the vocal charts (transcribed by ear, is that right?) and early mixes we needed to blend our parts, both of which were completely indispensable. Some excellent coordination and production was a big key in making this work.

Same here, without the charts this COULD NOT have happened.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 09:29:32 AM »

Cool idea, man. "Somewhere Near Japan" might work well. As someone else said, I would love to be a part too if a next one goes down.

" Still Cruisin'", I'm no singer but it's cool doing Al and Bruce's parts from that song

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 09:30:17 AM »

Well done to all involved!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 09:31:28 AM »

" Still Cruisin'", I'm no singer but it's cool doing Al and Bruce's parts from that song

I said SNJ a few weeks ago, I think that'd be amazing.

Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 09:32:43 AM »

Amazing - well done guys...

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 09:37:31 AM »

Fantastic job from top to bottom, literally. Sounded awesome!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 10:24:22 AM »

This is incredible!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 10:27:30 AM »

I thnk it'd be cool to have an official Smiley Smilers covers CD from various people on the board.  There could easily be several volumes of it.  I can only imagine the cool spoof artworks to come out of such a project.  Anyway, hopefully you guys decide to do something like that!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 11:35:09 AM »

Couldn't agree more. I can't imagine trying to set all this up....figuring out who should sing what, etc. I'm grateful to have been asked to be apart of it! It really turned out great.

Thanks again to everyone who listened!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »

I've admired the crazy talented folks over on the "Smiley Smilers Who Make Music" board for years, so I asked six of them to collaborate on a cover of Add Some Music To Your Day.  They all were awesome enough to help out, so we split the leads and background vocals up betwen the seven of us (seltaeb1012002, Austin, rab2591, me, dmcguire70, JMZ, and FatherOfTheMan).  They each recorded their parts separately (from three continents!), and I pieced them together on my end. The result is pretty spectacular.. check out the "full band" version (followed by an acapella version) here:

http://youtu.be/HaZNgwmLuRI  (keep the annotations on to see who sang and played what)

You can download mp3 versions here, if you're so inclined: http://soundcloud.com/adwolf16/sets  

Egon, I just have to say....

Hearing this song, this song above all others, done so lovingly, and SO VERY expertly, well it's just enough to bring tears to my eyes.  It's simply marvelous.  I've listened 3 times already.

Well, of course you did much more than "justice" to all the parts.  All the the parts are splendid.  It's simply glorious in every way.

You're going to need to consider a commercial market for this, maybe?  ITunes or CDBaby?

Thanks for providing the tags to show who sang what part.

I look forward to your progress on the other thread.  A friend of mine and I are trying something similar, but we've not gotten too far.

NICELY done!  WOW!  This made my day!

-- David

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 11:56:40 AM »

This is super awesome, you are so talented!

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 12:01:54 PM »

If the lyrics to Hotter weren't so terrible, I'd suggest that - the tune kicks ass.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx