gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681222 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 08:35:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will you go and see Mike's Beach Boys after the 50th Anniversary tour ends?  (Read 19411 times)
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2012, 11:33:29 AM »

I'll always go and see them if they play Manchester or Liverpool. If they play elsewhere in the UK I might if I had some spare cash, if it was convenient and/or they were doing interesting sets.

The five times I've seen the Mike/Bruce band(s -- there were four different line-ups) have ranged from a relatively nice fun time to some of the best gigs I've ever seen. It's two people from a band I love, plus some great backing musicians, playing some of the best songs ever written. Why wouldn't I go?

Andrew , exactly my feelings
I'll add a "me too" to Andrew's post.

I'll add a me three. I'd go see any of the principle members if it was convenient for me. The 2008 Mike, Bruce and David show I seen in Edinburgh was right up there with any Brian show i've seen. If Al had brought his show over here i'd have went to that too.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2012, 11:34:29 AM »

Really, who cares who is and isn't a 'true fan' and who does and doesn't fit into some set of criteria someone's decided makes people a 'true fan'?

In my case, I own at least one copy, usually more, of everything the band have released, plus all the solo albums by Brian, Mike, Al, Carl and Dennis, and lots of obscure stuff like the NASCAR CD. That would make me a 'true fan' by some definitions. But if, for example, a Surf City All-Stars show with David Marks and Dean Torrence were somehow to be announced in the UK, I would be far less likely to attend that than to attend a show where Brian played the whole of the Smiley Smile and Love You albums back to back -- so that would make me 'not a true fan' by other definitions.

It's not actually a badge of honour to show undiscriminating loyalty to an entertainer. People should only go and see shows that they actually think they will enjoy -- going to gigs is an expensive, time-consuming business.

So while *I* will undoubtedly go to see Mike and Bruce if they come near me again, I don't think any less of anyone who *doesn't* want to go to those shows. If you wouldn't enjoy it you shouldn't go.

That said, I do think some of the people who dismiss the possibility of attending their shows are doing themselves a disservice. I'm very much a fan of the artier end of the band's catalogue rather than the summer fun stuff, but Mike's shows in recent years have, at their best, been as good as any gigs I've been to. And certainly those who publicly dismiss Mike's band on the basis of what they heard about a show in 2001 or something are being extremely unfair to a lot of very, *very* good musicians.

But if someone just doesn't want to see Mike and Bruce's band, but still thinks of themself as a 'true fan', I don't think it's anyone's business to tell them they're not.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2012, 11:35:45 AM »

Really, who cares who is and isn't a 'true fan' and who does and doesn't fit into some set of criteria someone's decided makes people a 'true fan'?

In my case, I own at least one copy, usually more, of everything the band have released, plus all the solo albums by Brian, Mike, Al, Carl and Dennis, and lots of obscure stuff like the NASCAR CD. That would make me a 'true fan' by some definitions. But if, for example, a Surf City All-Stars show with David Marks and Dean Torrence were somehow to be announced in the UK, I would be far less likely to attend that than to attend a show where Brian played the whole of the Smiley Smile and Love You albums back to back -- so that would make me 'not a true fan' by other definitions.

It's not actually a badge of honour to show undiscriminating loyalty to an entertainer. People should only go and see shows that they actually think they will enjoy -- going to gigs is an expensive, time-consuming business.

So while *I* will undoubtedly go to see Mike and Bruce if they come near me again, I don't think any less of anyone who *doesn't* want to go to those shows. If you wouldn't enjoy it you shouldn't go.

That said, I do think some of the people who dismiss the possibility of attending their shows are doing themselves a disservice. I'm very much a fan of the artier end of the band's catalogue rather than the summer fun stuff, but Mike's shows in recent years have, at their best, been as good as any gigs I've been to. And certainly those who publicly dismiss Mike's band on the basis of what they heard about a show in 2001 or something are being extremely unfair to a lot of very, *very* good musicians.

But if someone just doesn't want to see Mike and Bruce's band, but still thinks of themself as a 'true fan', I don't think it's anyone's business to tell them they're not.

Well it appears to be a very serious business for "The Real Beach Boy".
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2012, 11:40:34 AM »

I think the Real Beach Boy may actually Bruce Johnston posting here. He seems to make brash and absolute judgements like Bruce also seems to. 

I am a true Beach Boys fan, and I would not spend a lot of money or time to see Mike/Bruce...it's not his place to tell me I'm less of a fan or not a true fan because of that.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Jason
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »

I think the Real Beach Boy may actually Bruce Johnston posting here. He seems to make brash and absolute judgements like Bruce also seems to.  

I am a true Beach Boys fan, and I would not spend a lot of money or time to see Mike/Bruce...it's not his place to tell me I'm less of a fan or not a true fan because of that.

Bruce infiltrating one of the moderator positions on the Smiley Smile board...while it would certainly be one for the ages (and certainly hilarious to watch the same people who talk sh*t about him immediately backpedal on all of their viewpoints while he's here), it's not true. That, and if you've ever read a post by Bruce on the Britain board, he signs his posts with his name, current location, and the date.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2012, 11:51:30 AM »

No, it is my place to tell you. ...just kidding. Wink All I can say is, is that fandom has changed a lot over the last ten years or so. Beach Boys fans were a pretty united bunch for 40 years or so. Over the last ten, I almost feel like I have nothing in common  with many of you, and I would have never felt that way prior.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2012, 11:52:51 AM »

I don't really think you're Bruce Johnston, by the way. I just thought it would be funny if a band member actually posted here under a moniker like that.

Jason
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »

I don't really think you're Bruce Johnston, by the way. I just thought it would be funny if a band member actually posted here under a moniker like that.

Nah...my handle is just a friendly jab that started as an in-joke with one of the other mods and spiraled from there.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2012, 12:17:58 PM »

Man, I'd go to see a band playing Beach Boys songs that had zero original members, zero members even connected with the band at all. it's great music and cool to see live.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2012, 12:43:25 PM »

Man, there's a whole giant section of the country that the tour skipped. I think if M&B mine that area, they'll sell out. Just to name a few spots: Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Omaha, Des Moines, Tulsa, Saint Louis, Twin Cities, Indy, Columbus, Cincy, Louisville, Memphis, Little Rock, Wichita. Massive chunk of population to draw from with the buzz to last quite a while. They'd be silly to overprice it though.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2012, 01:10:39 PM »

man, it's really weird that they skipped entire sections of the country but have played like at least 10 shows in the NYC area.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2012, 01:16:21 PM »

Man, there's a whole giant section of the country that the tour skipped. I think if M&B mine that area, they'll sell out. Just to name a few spots: Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Omaha, Des Moines, Tulsa, Saint Louis, Twin Cities, Indy, Columbus, Cincy, Louisville, Memphis, Little Rock, Wichita. Massive chunk of population to draw from with the buzz to last quite a while. They'd be silly to overprice it though.

They did play Riverbend Music Center in Cincinnati on June 12. I was there....highlight of my concert attending life.

Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2012, 01:29:28 PM »

Is it official that Al and David won't be on this South American tour?  It's for sure the same backing band Mike/Bruce had before the reunion?  Or, is just official that Brian isn't going to be there?

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2012, 03:43:49 PM »

I'd make an effort to see Dave, as he's the only living Beach Boy I've yet to see live. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2012, 03:54:15 PM »

Mike and Bruce are BBs-lite.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2012, 04:03:12 PM »

Mike and Bruce are BBs-lite.
LOL Nice way of putting it. Works for me.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2012, 04:05:06 PM »

Is it official that Al and David won't be on this South American tour?  It's for sure the same backing band Mike/Bruce had before the reunion?  Or, is just official that Brian isn't going to be there?

On another thread it says that a Latin American news site says it will be Cowsill, Totten, and the usual Mike/Bruce players including Christian.  No Brian, Al, Dave, or BW band members.  Mike also told a SoAm newspaper that the shows are not part of the 50th reunion tour.

I'm not sure I'd call it BB Lite. I'd call it the usual incarnation approved by the membership of BRI including Brian Wilson, and they don't mind licensing the rights because they get a cut of the proceeds.  Not too brief, though.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2012, 04:09:02 PM »

Even as someone with no interest in seeing the Mike/Bruce shows, "BB Lite" is putting a little too fine a point on it, I think. Here's the way I think about the Mike and Bruce shows. Firstly, however I may feel about him behind the scenes, Mike is just as important a member as Brian is. The sets over the last five years have been very very good from Mike and Bruce. Hell, there have been songs in those shows that I'd love to see make their way into the current shows. Seeing the Mike and Bruce shows is as valid as seeing the Brian solo shows or the Al solo shows. I do take umbrage at the use of the name Beach Boys, since there's literally only one original member on stage at the time (other than the period when they had Dave with them). I think one of my bigger gripes with the Mike and Bruce shows is the sheer number of other people taking lead vocals on some of the songs. With Mike shaking a tambourine and Bruce playing a keyboard that isn't actually audible, it can sort of feel like you're just watching a tribute band with a couple of actual Beach Boys sort of supervising. I realize that's exactly the same thing you get with a Brian solo show, and I realize it's hypocritical of me to feel there's a distinction. But I also think one of the things that had been contributing to BW's shows trumping the Mike and Bruce shows was that there would be new music in there constantly, as Brian would continue to release new records. So those shows were as much about Brian still being an artist with new musical things to say, while the Mike and Bruce shows were about nostalgia and a fun evening out.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2012, 04:29:58 PM »

No.
carolinablonde
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2012, 04:40:43 PM »

Prior to this tour, I would have said "Heck no."  However, seeing how much fun my husband had at the 50th anniversary concert we attended (his first concert in his 37 years of living, in fact), and his request to "Do that again", I would have to say that we will probably catch the Mike and Bruce show should they swing through the area again in the near future.  In all actuality, I would be even more excited to see Al's Endless Summer Band, especially if David and/or Dean Torrance were to join him.  And a Brian solo show is still on my bucket list, so I would be knocking down little old ladies to get tickets to a semi-local show.

In short, I know that our time seeing any of the Boys in concert is limited, and I will take what I can get.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »

I think Mike has done a great deal to persuade BW-centric fans (like myself) of his good intentions and dedication to great performances with this latest tour. What's more, Cowsill and Totten are monster musicians, easily the equal of many of Brian's guys. While distance and price would play a role, I would be much more likely to consider seeing the Mike and Bruce show these days.

... That being said, I would hope that it ends up being much more than the Mike and Bruce show. As in, the Al and David and Scott B. and Probyn and etc. show.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2012, 04:57:45 PM »

I'm pretty curious to know what some of these musicians will do after this tour. Brian might want to keep doing it for another year, but would Probyn or Nelson or Darian?
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2012, 07:27:27 PM »

I'm a Brian Wilson fan.  Not in a blueboarder/wacko-worship way; I'm just a fan of his particular composing and production style during the 60s.  Mind you, I don't like all of the Beach Boys canon, and not even everything Brian produced (I do not love Love You).  I also think he's batshit crazy, which is a quality that I value in a person.  I wouldn't even consider going to a C50 show if Brian wasn't part of it. 

Put it to you this way...last year, I wanted nothing to do with a Mike&Bruce show that was just a Red Line train ride away.  Yet I saw Brian twice, once in another country, and the other at a venue way the hell outside the city. 

I would see the Wondermints & Co (aka Brian's usual backing band) whether they were playing Brian's music, their own material, or a concerto consisting of kazoos and comb-n-wax-paper. 

I would not see California Saga if they were playing in my backyard. 

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »

Probably not, although my reasoning has nothing to do with any bias against any one "faction" of the band.  I'm not generally a huge fan of live music - I make exceptions for what I view as "once in a lifetime" opportunities, i.e. seeing Brian Wilson perform Smile at Carnegie Hall, or seeing the reunited Beach Boys on what could very well be their last tour together.  Going to a concert just for the heck of it has never particularly appealed to me, whether it's music I love or not.  I'd rather listen to the studio recordings in the comfort of home or my car
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2012, 08:16:17 PM »

Don't you know the rules? When comparing touring bands, you have to use 2002 as the base, when Brian's band were doing long, interesting sets full of songs like Til I Die and Busy Doin' Nothin', while Mike's band had Adrian Baker and Mike Kowalski in it and was doing shorter sets of only surf songs.

If you actually let in any information from after 2002 you might take the side of the Evil Mike Love in something, and then where would you be?

...Or you can look at more recent stuff like fall 2008, when Brian was playing his entire new album and Mike and Bruce were playing four to six songs from after 1966.

Just because it's not as clear-cut as it was ten years ago doesn't mean Brian isn't still more likely to do the farther-out stuff.

Personally, though, I'd be entirely happy to go and see Mike and Bruce again -- their orchestral show at the Sydney Opera House showed they were a hell of a good band.  I wouldn't be as desperate to go see them as I am when Brian's in town, though...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx