gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681562 Posts in 27643 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 14, 2024, 07:05:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 5: Raleigh Amphitheater - Raleigh, NC 4/29/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 63274 times)
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2012, 06:14:12 AM »

Is it possible that something is happening in these audience recordings that's due to how they're being recorded? Can the recording program in an iPhone, for example, automatically add pitch correction or fx? Might there be a digital form of feedback, multiplying effects?

I've never worked with digital recording, so I have no idea. But I know with digital imaging, you can turn off automatic correction, so I was wondering....

Yes.  These recordings are not accurate representations of what the human ear would hear in the venue.  The phones would not add auto-tune or pitch correction, but all kinds of frequencies and room ambience are being enhanced or diminished by the small size of the microphones in the devices, the distance of the mics from the speakers, the cheap analog/digital converters, and the bad compression rate, lots of factors.  It's really impossible to tell for certain from any of these recordings if any kind pitch correction was used or not.  I'm not saying it was, and I'm not saying it wasn't.  I'm saying it's impossible to tell for certain.
I do hear Brian singing out of tune in spots, which would indicate that pitch correction isn't being used, but I can't be certain of anything from these recordings.  That's why I'm inclined to believe reports from folks who were actually in attendance, and from the band members, rather than some folks listening to bad recordings.  
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:26:42 AM by LostArt » Logged
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2012, 06:23:11 AM »

To those who say no autotune: Pls explain why just Brian's voice sounds so robotic on the recordings and not the others? And not all recordings were taped on an iphone.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:24:39 AM by SheriffJohnStone » Logged

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
MZ6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2012, 06:24:31 AM »

Lot of good quality videos in that channel...

"Cottonfields" really rocks...they're jamming out on that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJuQtLf_od0&feature=relmfu

And it sounds like someone (Scott Totten?) is using a b-bender/pullstring. It's hard to see on my phone...
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2012, 06:34:48 AM »

To those who say no autotune: Pls explain why just Brian's voice sounds so robotic on the recordings and not the others? And not all recordings were taped on an iphone.

It could be something as simple as the timbre of Brian's voice, or how it's being eq'd, coupled with whatever frequency response the crappy phone mic (or whatever miniature recording device is being used) has.  Again, there are too many questions to be certain.  For example, if Brian's voice is being pitch corrected, why are some notes out of tune (and I'm not talking a full half step out of tune, which is what you'd get with pitch correction)?  Again.  I'm not saying it's being used, and I'm not saying that it isn't.  I'm saying that it's impossible to tell for certain.  
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:39:35 AM by LostArt » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2012, 06:45:00 AM »

Brian sure is out of tune alot for using autotune
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2012, 06:58:37 AM »

Yeah and there was nothing robotic at the venue in NOLA

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2012, 07:02:52 AM »

For example, if Brian's voice is being pitch corrected, why are some notes out of tune (and I'm not talking a full half step out of tune, which is what you'd get with pitch correction)?

Because sometimes it takes a little longer for the autotune to figure out which note to jump to depending on where the original source lands on the scale.  This would only happen rarely, on very short notes. And even when that happens you will still get the robotic pitch jumps right before and right after said note.

Yeah, he is. He sings flat often, so the autotune is just "perfecting" his flat notes. Fact is Brian's a pitchy singer & LIVE autotune is not the answer for him.

Post-production vocal editing is a different story.

The only way live autotune sounds good, is if it's applied to a very strong singer pitch-wise, and even then, there's a good chance it would still require editing in post. It's pretty much pointless to use it live though, if you think about it. I don't think it's achieving the effect they want it to. Or maybe it is. They're giving us something to talk about.  Grin

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2012, 07:24:47 AM »

Or.... he's almost 70 and sings out of tune. 

I mean... I GUESS it's theoretically possible that there's a computer program helping him sing out of tune. 

I suppoooooose, maybe..... there's a computer program that only works on some notes, misses almost all the others, is only recordable if you RECORD the sound you hear instead of just LISTEN to the sound you hear, and is capable of escaping detection by even the most hard-nosed, negative reporters........

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2012, 09:20:39 AM »

I mean... I GUESS it's theoretically possible that there's a computer program helping him sing out of tune. 

I suppoooooose, maybe..... there's a computer program that only works on some notes, misses almost all the others, is only recordable if you RECORD the sound you hear instead of just LISTEN to the sound you hear, and is capable of escaping detection by even the most hard-nosed, negative reporters........

Maybe he's simply working so hard at singing out of tune, that he can't buy the right autotune to fix it.
God forbid the BBs should be guilty of using autotune;
tho why anyone really cares is beyond me

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2012, 09:42:41 AM »

Is it possible that something is happening in these audience recordings that's due to how they're being recorded? Can the recording program in an iPhone, for example, automatically add pitch correction or fx? Might there be a digital form of feedback, multiplying effects?

I've never worked with digital recording, so I have no idea. But I know with digital imaging, you can turn off automatic correction, so I was wondering....

Brian sounds completely different than the rest of the lead singers in terms of his sound quality.  He is much higher in the mix and louder than Mike on "Sloop John B." when they swap lead parts as the song goes along,and Brian's voice sounds really weird.  If it's not autotune or pitch correction, it's something going on (live doubling effect or some other type of processing).  It can't be an iPhone making Brian's voice louder and odd-sounding if the same thing isn't happening to Mike.  Also, the video on YouTube that people are posting links to from this particular show are not iPhone or smartphone videos, it has to be some type of video camera. It's HDTV.  In fact, the better sound quality of those videos makes Brian's voice sound even more processed and it really brings it out.  
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:53:57 AM by mcg1119 » Logged
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2012, 09:46:06 AM »

Maybe he's simply working so hard at singing out of tune, that he can't buy the right autotune to fix it.
God forbid the BBs should be guilty of using autotune;
tho why anyone really cares is beyond me
Because it makes Brian's voice sound worse than if he just hits some bum notes; in fact, it causes more bum notes and random pitch changes in many cases. If you can't hear it, that's great - I wish I could un-hear it.

- B00ts
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2012, 09:59:08 AM »

The first show was recorded on an iPhone.  Another show was recorded on good gear and circulated in an uncompressed format.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2012, 10:45:17 AM »

What's curious to me is that I heard Brian sing a whole song at the Atlanta show (forget which one now) and he sounded, from my vantage point about halfway in the amphitheater, about the same as he did in the Gershwin tour at the same venue last year. That is, pitchy (sometimes off, sometimes on) and with all the charactering that is usually there in his vocals, natural sounding.

The Raleigh audience recording video of SOS that has the "B-Pain" effect sounds very different from what I heard in person in Atlanta. I didn't hear anything remotely like that, although Brian did sound like he was singing a harmony part instead of the lead on SOS at first.

So this is why I'm asking if there are other factors that could account for some of what we're hearing in audience recordings.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 10:46:43 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2012, 11:18:08 AM »

I'd rather hear Dave sing Sail On Sailor (well i'd rather hear Blondie but that's another matter) because Brian for whatever reason just isn't into that song.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2012, 11:19:59 AM »

A recording might be more accurate that what you hear in person.  If the recording is not distorted, then the sound level is lower than what you would hear at the venue.  Even at a show where the volume isn't loud enough to bother your ears, it's still very loud.  So the sound isn't that defined, it's just a loudly amplified wall of sound so your ears can't hear every detail.  The recording devices have a limiter that sets the levels lower, either automatically or user-set, because otherwise, the sound would be distorted from excessive recording level volume.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2012, 11:24:59 AM »

Yeah.  Alot.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2012, 11:30:56 AM »

I do wish he'd watch his ooo's and ahhh's.

I kind of like the effect on "Heroes and Villains," but yeah -- after watching the recent videos it's pretty damn goofy voice processing on "Sail on Sailor" if not technically Antares Auto-Tune. Just the sort of faux cutting-edge, instantly dated thing the Beach Boys would do to annoy people tho, isn't it? If only we had a cutaway of Joe Thomas perched behind an amplifier playing a little MIDI controller live and twirling a villainous mustache.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:32:05 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »

Yeah.  Alot.

I salute you for finally seeing the light!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2012, 12:00:57 PM »

If the autotune worked the way it was supposed to, then its presence would be less of a problem!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2012, 12:09:10 PM »

Yeah I wouldn't mind if it worked and supported his singing, but it's just way too robotic...

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2012, 12:09:58 PM »

If the autotune worked the way it was supposed to, then its presence would be less of a problem!

EXACTLY!

At this point I pretty much don't care whether it gets used or not.  What makes me angry is that it's being used so badly, and making the problem it's there to solve worse.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2012, 12:21:53 PM »

I salute you for finally seeing the light!

Yeah.  Duuuuh.....hut!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2012, 12:37:22 PM »

I hear it especially on his extended notes, anyone else feel that way too?

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2012, 12:49:18 PM »

Too bad that the highly professional sound people in the highly professional entourage for this BB massive tour are bastardizing Brian's performances with an autotune machine that does not automatically-tune Brian's vocals anyway and does not fix a thing.

One would think that the Beach Boys with Brian Wilson at the helm, or the extraordinary musicians from their backing band, or their extremely professional sound crew should know by now; if not because of their decades of experience, or their extreme expertise, just because of their experience during the first 4-5 shows of this tour.

But no, they keep screwing it up instead of doing as this board's people tell them to.

Audiophile fans can't be wrong (they've never been). But the sound people hired and paid for it can.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2012, 12:55:15 PM »

I don't know about you, but when I look at the Beach Boys entire career, I don't exactly see a faultless, unbroken string of great decisions that have put them beyond all criticism.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx