gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 06:22:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has Mike ever commented on "Summer In Paradise?"  (Read 17869 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2012, 11:19:40 PM »

I recall an interview where Mike said SIP was going to be the BB's equivalent of Rattle and Hum...

Which is one of the worst U2 albums so I don't really know where he was going with that.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2012, 11:22:05 PM »

Interestingly enough, this album appears to have been erased from the Beach Boys' canon.  In the tour program, this album is completely omitted. 
It's also absent from the discography on Brian's site though that makes sense as Brian had zero involvement with it.
http://brianwilson.com/beach-boys-discography/

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2012, 11:51:50 PM »

Does anyone else remember the interview appearance on ABC's In Concert series where Mike mentioned he wanted the next Beach Boys album to be entitled Masterpiece?
I remember that, still have the tape, and I had to honestly wonder at the time if there would be another BB's album after the resounding commercial and critical disaster that was SIP. Now if Mr. Love had actually followed through on that plan/threat, of doing a song cycle of more substance than SIP, it might have been worth hearing. instead, we got Stars and Stripes....to my ears, the most dispensable album in the entire BB's canon.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2012, 02:09:28 AM »

Just a sidenote, 1992,93,94 had to be a tumultuous time in the music industry as Grunge dominated, and rap and rnb grew in popularity.

But grunge, rap and R&B are AMAZING
Well, R&B was amazing in the 60s and early 70s at least.
50's too.

I don't know exactly what happened during those years of 91-94 but I know that Z100 the biggest top 40 station in the county flipped to a rock format, some bands got their video on MTV and could sell millions of album without any radio airplay.

Well, this thing called Music evolved, see.....
stop the presses Tongue

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2012, 06:50:14 AM »

Mike gave an interview in Goldmine magazine promoting SIP, talking it up as the album that sounded like a proper album because it didn't have too many cooks in the kitchen. Sounded like he thought it was gonna be a commercial blockbuster. Unlike many fans, I enjoyed Kokomo and the new songs on Still Cruisin'; Mike's mistake was thinking "that song was a worldwide #1, so what the BB's need is an album full of Kokomo retreads". I always hoped that the group would take the momentum from a #1 record and create an album as artistically rewarding as BW88. You've got the attention of the whole world,potentially millions of new fans; instead, they put out a cobbled together, half hearted comp, then wait another 4 years to put out a truly new album, a glorfied Mike Love solo album.

You know, at the time when SIP came out it felt like Kokomo had been a hit 15 years before. The album came too late. There was no momentum left by then. The 30th Anniversary passed and nothing happened, and then this came out. There was no expectation for it. Perhaps if had come in 1990 it would have been different.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2012, 09:12:35 AM »

Mike gave an interview in Goldmine magazine promoting SIP, talking it up as the album that sounded like a proper album because it didn't have too many cooks in the kitchen. Sounded like he thought it was gonna be a commercial blockbuster. Unlike many fans, I enjoyed Kokomo and the new songs on Still Cruisin'; Mike's mistake was thinking "that song was a worldwide #1, so what the BB's need is an album full of Kokomo retreads". I always hoped that the group would take the momentum from a #1 record and create an album as artistically rewarding as BW88. You've got the attention of the whole world,potentially millions of new fans; instead, they put out a cobbled together, half hearted comp, then wait another 4 years to put out a truly new album, a glorfied Mike Love solo album.

You know, at the time when SIP came out it felt like Kokomo had been a hit 15 years before. The album came too late. There was no momentum left by then. The 30th Anniversary passed and nothing happened, and then this came out. There was no expectation for it. Perhaps if had come in 1990 it would have been different.
I must say, as cheesy as SIP often is, I think it would also work as a commercial record in 2012. It has the Pro Tools sound, super catchy songs, and a lot of shiny musical "jingling keys" to keep the attention of the listener. Reminds me of a contemporary Katy Perry record or similar. Mike was way ahead of his time with SIP.

Also, "Island Fever" has a beautiful hook, in spite of the inane lyrics.

- B00ts
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »

I never knew until today that Terry Melcher was mad as hell when the album came out. I was surprised. Apparently he was upset that the project was rushed to completion.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2012, 05:42:11 PM »

Interestingly enough, this album appears to have been erased from the Beach Boys' canon.  In the tour program, this album is completely omitted. 

A short blurb about SIP, including the cover artwork, does appear in the Beach Boys 50 Anniversary 'ZinePak released today (WalMart only), in an Anthology Section depicting all the non-greatest-hits BB albums.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2012, 06:59:13 PM »

I personally think the artwork is horrendous.  In fact, I think it's their worst album artwork. By far.

I agree.  Terrible.
SummerInParadise23
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2012, 08:09:27 AM »

Summer in Paradise is one of my fav. beach boys songs and I love most of the others on that album. Very relaxing fun music.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2012, 08:15:51 AM »

Summer in Paradise is one of my fav. beach boys songs and I love most of the others on that album. Very relaxing fun music.

Yeah, SIP was music for Mike to cool out by...... Cool

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2012, 09:22:23 AM »

It's cool that there are people like you out there who dig SIP. It is widely considered to not be very good, but as I said above, there are some beautiful melodies interspersed throughout, and Carl is in fine voice.

I wonder what Mike's reaction would be if you told him you loved SIP... probably very happy.

- B00ts
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2012, 10:27:37 AM »

Just a sidenote, 1992,93,94 had to be a tumultuous time in the music industry as Grunge dominated, and rap and rnb grew in popularity.

...still surprising that that wrecked thing SIP managed to sell that well.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2012, 10:32:18 AM »

I must say, as cheesy as SIP often is, I think it would also work as a commercial record in 2012. It has the Pro Tools sound, super catchy songs, and a lot of shiny musical "jingling keys" to keep the attention of the listener. Reminds me of a contemporary Katy Perry record or similar. Mike was way ahead of his time with SIP.Also, "Island Fever" has a beautiful hook, in spite of the inane lyrics.

That’s always said of people who are in reality 300 years behind. Didn’t you know?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:33:47 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2012, 10:43:41 AM »

I doubt this exists, but is there a "special edition" of SIP that includes the entire batch of recordings, both US and Euro?
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2012, 10:53:13 AM »

I must say, as cheesy as SIP often is, I think it would also work as a commercial record in 2012. It has the Pro Tools sound, super catchy songs, and a lot of shiny musical "jingling keys" to keep the attention of the listener. Reminds me of a contemporary Katy Perry record or similar. Mike was way ahead of his time with SIP.Also, "Island Fever" has a beautiful hook, in spite of the inane lyrics.

That’s always said of people who are in reality 300 years behind. Didn’t you know?

Ha! I didn't know, but I know now. Let's say Melcher was ahead of his time with the production (meaning 300 years behind his time).

- B00ts
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2012, 12:23:02 AM »

That MAY have made a difference. Wouldn't have made it any better as an album, but it definately was closer to the sound of that year - Wilson Phillips being one related example. The only place for SIP in 1992 was AC radio. I did hear Hot Fun in the Summertime on the local AC station once that summer, but nothing on that album got anywhere near the airplay Still Cruisin' had, which I believe was a top 5 AC track in '89.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2012, 03:06:01 AM »

I wonder what Mike's reaction would be if you told him you loved SIP... probably very happy.

Deliriously happy - and he'd probably offer to sell you the remaining 142,800 copies he has sitting in his garage

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2012, 11:33:38 AM »

Technically he has - Liner Notes!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2012, 11:54:31 AM »

when he explains it so sincerely like that it's hard to find fault in his actions.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2012, 01:25:06 PM »

A real load from the lovester. Roll Eyes
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2012, 01:47:40 PM »

The one thing I kick myself now for not getting.

A large promo poster of Summer In Paradise signed by The Beach Boys. The poster depicted the album cover and it was hanging on the wall behind the cash register at Tower records. They wanted $100.00 for it. At the time I figured that the CD sucked and didn't want to 'invest' anymore into it. I came back a week later and the poster was gone. Made me want the damn thing even more. Dunno how many they signed or if it was just a one-off.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2012, 01:51:32 PM »

A large promo poster of Summer In Paradise signed by The Beach Boys. The poster depicted the album cover and it was hanging on the wall behind the cash register at Tower records. They wanted $100.00 for it. At the time I figured that the CD sucked and didn't want to 'invest' anymore into it. I came back a week later and the poster was gone. Made me want the damn thing even more. Dunno how many they signed or if it was just a one-off.

I won one of them in a contest run by Tower Records back in 1992.  First prize was dinner at the Beach Boys Cafe in Hermosa Beach (remember that?) with the group.  Second prize was the signed SIP poster.  I won one of the 2d prizes.  It came in a real nice frame and everything. Too bad it was only signed by MIke, AL and Bruce, though.  Still hangs in my spare room at home.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2012, 01:52:54 PM »

There is an address on the back of the poster with the CD for full size copies of the cover 'suitable for framing'. Obviously they aren't signed, but did anyone ever send off? and does it still work?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2012, 02:14:52 PM »

I won one of them in a contest run by Tower Records back in 1992.  First prize was dinner at the Beach Boys Cafe in Hermosa Beach (remember that?) with the group.  Second prize was the signed SIP poster.  I won one of the 2d prizes.  It came in a real nice frame and everything. Too bad it was only signed by MIke, AL and Bruce, though.  Still hangs in my spare room at home.

Now I want one even more!  Cheesy

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx