gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 09:18:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wow...Mike, Al and Dave Reunion!  (Read 40100 times)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2011, 02:57:29 PM »

^Yes, Brian not showing up will add to the "reclusive burnout" image. Which uh... Don't really at all go in hand with "founding genius."

Are you familiar at all with the life of Brian Wilson?

Yes, I am aware that Brian spent a lot of time in his room in the 1970s.

No, I do not think somebody that tours, releases albums as regularly as he has been AND does regular promotion & interviews for said albums is trying to portray any sort of "reclusive burnout" image.

Sure, Brian's brain is "burned" from the decades of drugs, but reclusive? Nah.

No mas, por favor.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2011, 02:59:32 PM »

OSD is right. Brian has neither anything to gain nor lose by not appearing at such things, therefore why not just stay home?

I'm sure his fans would have appreciated it. We already lost 2 of the 3 Wilson brothers. Would be cool to see Mike & Brian bury the hatchet one last time even if it's just for some shitty awards show.

No mas, por favor.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2011, 03:50:32 PM »

Because of people on this site, David Marks got to meet Buzz Aldrin. Unless they've met before. Pretty cool. Too bad Brian wasn't there. TOO BAD.

I don't think that's Buzz Aldrin. Face looks wrong.

Is it Ed Asner?

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »

Mike has Ed Asner in his jacket pocket
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2011, 04:16:13 PM »

Because of people on this site, David Marks got to meet Buzz Aldrin. Unless they've met before. Pretty cool. Too bad Brian wasn't there. TOO BAD.

you are right. buzz is shown in some of the other photos though. wearing different outfit. and he has more hair.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2011, 04:33:10 PM »

Late, but still: 

Who is the great interviewer for the BBs? 
Was Santana's wife one of his granddaughters friends? 
Did Al borrow his jacket from the set of "Big" ?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2011, 04:50:06 PM »

he ought to ask seen any UFO"s lately..??  He is one that actually talks about it.....!!!..he says they are real..   if you laugh at\ this post you are uninformed.. bw doesn't need to be there..nice 2 see every one else there tho.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2011, 06:21:12 PM »

No, I do not think somebody that tours, releases albums as regularly as he has been AND does regular promotion & interviews for said albums is trying to portray any sort of "reclusive burnout" image.

I wasn't talking about facts -- I was just talking about image. And BW has, for better or worse, this damaged genius image that includes the heights of Pet Sounds and the depths of 20 years spent in his bedroom. (Never mind that he did better music and didn't stay in bed for years on end.) Not showing up burnishes that image -- even though he's probably just being a d--k.

The thing is, Brian's legacy with The Beach Boys should be just has important to him as is his own personal legacy. Much of Brian's legacy, personal or group was during his time as a Beach Boy. Nothing Brian has done on his own will ever reach what was accomplished with The Beach Boys. To me, it would be in his own best interest to embrace The Beach Boys now, while interest is hot. Solidifying all his bases can do nothing but enhance his standing further in the music world.

I actually mostly agree with this. But I'm also not exactly sure that "interest is hot." Something has to happen for there to be interest.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2011, 06:32:17 PM »

Anyone else disappointed that this wasn't in reference to Dave Lee Roth, Mike Anthony, and Al(ex) Van Halen?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 06:34:49 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2011, 07:01:30 PM »

Why did that ceremony end with a performance by a Blues Brothers tribute band? That doesn't make any damn sense.

Also, David Marks has it pretty sweet. Think about it. He joins the band, sticks around long enough to be remembered, leaves, and now forty years later he gets all sorts of accolades for his five seconds in the group.
YEAH...pretty sweet. He records all those hit songs, and plays on those hit albums, and then gets screwed out of millions of dollars by Murry and Capitol. Boy does he have it made!!

And he STILL probably has more dough than the rest of us will ever see...

HuhHuh Read Jon's book! I'll bet you and I had more than $10 in our pocket the day Dave spent his last on parking to go bat for Mike!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2011, 07:36:05 PM »

Well, thanks for ruining my otherwise spectacular caption, AGD

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2011, 09:00:34 PM »

The caption on the Sac. Bee website now says it's Chuck Yeager, not Buzz Aldrin.

Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2011, 10:09:32 PM »

Why did that ceremony end with a performance by a Blues Brothers tribute band? That doesn't make any damn sense.

Also, David Marks has it pretty sweet. Think about it. He joins the band, sticks around long enough to be remembered, leaves, and now forty years later he gets all sorts of accolades for his five seconds in the group.
YEAH...pretty sweet. He records all those hit songs, and plays on those hit albums, and then gets screwed out of millions of dollars by Murry and Capitol. Boy does he have it made!!

HuhHuh Read Jon's book! I'll bet you and I had more than $10 in our pocket the day Dave spent his last on parking to go bat for Mike!

Already have - both, I'll swap my job for his job and rates of pay. I wouldn't choose to leave a no. 1 band leaving behind fame & fortune...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 10:15:02 PM by Zander » Logged

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2011, 06:39:47 AM »

Already have - both, I'll swap my job for his job and rates of pay. I wouldn't choose to leave a no. 1 band leaving behind fame & fortune...

First you have to move across the street from the Hawthorne house now

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2011, 06:51:58 AM »

Who are you to judge what Murry was putting David, who for just a kid at the time, through? Or his parents' decision to take him out of the group because Murry was fucking him out of a fair amount of money?

If someone is royally fucking you over, I wouldn't just accept that. But then I know most people would and do, albeit likely not on the scale that David went through.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2011, 07:03:50 AM »

What a shame Brian didn't show..

I'd guess he was Busy Doin' Nothin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2011, 07:31:15 AM »

I wasn't talking about facts -- I was just talking about image. And BW has, for better or worse, this damaged genius image that includes the heights of Pet Sounds and the depths of 20 years spent in his bedroom. (Never mind that he did better music and didn't stay in bed for years on end.) Not showing up burnishes that image -- even though he's probably just being a d--k.

The thing is, Brian's legacy with The Beach Boys should be just has important to him as is his own personal legacy. Much of Brian's legacy, personal or group was during his time as a Beach Boy. Nothing Brian has done on his own will ever reach what was accomplished with The Beach Boys. To me, it would be in his own best interest to embrace The Beach Boys now, while interest is hot. Solidifying all his bases can do nothing but enhance his standing further in the music world.

I actually mostly agree with this. But I'm also not exactly sure that "interest is hot." Something has to happen for there to be interest.
Hot, as in the releases of ITKOD, Smile, 50th Anniversary of the band, and possible new solo/band album in the works for next year. These are near term items that put him and the band in the spotlight. Including the 2 movies in the works, I'd say that is pretty hot.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2011, 02:06:29 PM »

David never seems to complain about how he got screwed by Murry.  He seemingly, suffered in silence. 

Unlike Mike who always seemed to be whining how he wrote this and that and didn't get a writing credit.  I imagine, back in the day, David came up with an original lick or two but would never make a claim against Brian over songwriting credits.

There are certain ways of handling things in life and David always seems to take the high road.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SBonilla
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2011, 02:58:01 PM »

David never seems to complain about how he got screwed by Murry.  He seemingly, suffered in silence.  

Unlike Mike who always seemed to be whining how he wrote this and that and didn't get a writing credit.  I imagine, back in the day, David came up with an original lick or two but would never make a claim against Brian over songwriting credits.

There are certain ways of handling things in life and David always seems to take the high road.
[/quote]

Songs are like real estate; they are properties with attached ownership and rights that can be traded, sold, or assigned . The creator of a musical composition is the sole owner of those rights, from the moment of composition's inception, until he sells them or assigns them to another entity.

Claiming what's yours is taking the high road.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 02:59:54 PM by SBonilla » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2011, 03:01:02 PM »

Chuck.  "I havn't seen anything this loud since I broke the sound barrier!"

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2011, 04:54:38 PM »

How slick does Mike look, the man looks great..

Dave and Al too

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SBonilla
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2011, 05:07:33 PM »

Dave and Al too

I know! That jacket is BOSS!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2011, 05:09:35 PM »

David never seems to complain about how he got screwed by Murry.  He seemingly, suffered in silence. 

Unlike Mike who always seemed to be whining how he wrote this and that and didn't get a writing credit.  I imagine, back in the day, David came up with an original lick or two but would never make a claim against Brian over songwriting credits.

David could easily make a claim for songwritng credit on something like Surf Jam, which isn't really a song but as the title says, its a spontaneous jam...David's riff starts the song but Carl gets the sole writer's credit. Another one is Stoked! Brian gets that credit...I believe Dave thought of the title....and again its just a jam. Maybe a group credit would have been nice. None of this is really songwriting...but a credit or two on a million selling LP like Surfin USA would have put some significant money in his pocket. He did submit his own Kustom Kar Show for the Little Deuce Coupe LP which was rejected, that would have been his music and lyrics....but that show didn't go. Dave and Carl wrote an instrumental titled Blue City which the Beach Boys played live but never recorded. Part of this is why Dave left the group without asking for a contract settlement which the court most certainly would have upheld for a minor, he was in a hurry to get his own stuff out there. He was 15, not thinking about money, and the adults that were supposed to protect his interests did not. That's how you lose 20% of the Beach Boys franchise.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2011, 06:39:06 PM »

Dave and Al too
Myke's jacket-Salvation Army, hat-Hat City-Looks like a pimp whose taste is in his derriere. angel
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2011, 12:56:59 AM »

Not showing up burnishes that image -- even though he's probably just being a d--k.

This stuff doesn't matter, turning up for an award ceremony? Really? I think Brian's image is better served by making good music and he has made plenty of that since leaving the Beach Boys.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx