gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681614 Posts in 27646 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 20, 2024, 11:59:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love Talks to Rolling Stone about the Reunion  (Read 10819 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2011, 05:59:50 PM »

Gotta add.........To me, John Cowsill sounds a lot like Dennis' style on drums, only better.  Perfect for this new, improved, BB tour band in terms of achieving "the sound".  Very glad he and Scotty are a part of this.  This melding of the two bands and original members is surprisingly, refreshingly great.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2011, 07:49:03 PM »

If I'm understanding Mike correctly, David has an idea for the title of the album so maybe the thing won't be called DO IT AGAIN which I suspected. Then again, why does Mike feel he needs to "work" with David on the title? Does Mike always have to have his hand in the titling of albums? Or, is he referring to a "title track" that David thinks would be good for the record?

All the same, the weak puns and the constant hyping on greatest hits sales is tiresome. Really, this is almost the same interview Mike has given for the last decade right down to his wish to work with cousin Brian again...which feels a bit odd considering they have already announced a new album they're recording together!
A writer will often refer to a song as a "title", in this case I think Mike is referring to a song of David's that he wants to collaborate with him on, and/or perhaps Dave has a title or concept for a song that Mike thinks will be appropriate for the new record.
Jon, you seem to be ignoring the fact that David wasn't on the original video or sessions.  Care to fill us in on how David coming on board happened?  If they had planned to add David later, there would have been a parking sign with David's name on it.

I'm still flabbergasted that he wasn't included from the get go!
I think you might be thinking that leaked "full" version of the video is authorized, and i think its just an early cut that was leaked by someone who had a "in progress" version. I know Dave has been talking to Mike and Al about reunion possibilities since last year. I also know he wasn't at the initial Do It Again session (as I reported on this board many months ago), but that he was subsequently brought in at Brian and Mike's request to put both rhythm and lead guitar on the Do It Again track. Whether the other Beach Boys, the video's director, or whomever were all on the same page regarding David's place in this I don't know. But I know Mike and Brian basically insisted he be involved. I have no idea of the actual chronology in which this occurred in relation to the aforementioned video production. Maybe the cart got a bit ahead of the horse, or something like that. I assume the whole concept has evolved from its May inception to now, and will probably evolve a bit more until we hear the actual released version. Like you, I'm real happy Dave is included, and I know he's looking forward to touring and recording more with the other guys.

Thanks Jon.  Appreciate your answering my question!  I'm ecstatic that David is in there.  And that maybe one/more of his tunes might make the album.  Carl and Dennis are irreplaceable but using David's creative force could bring a whole new magic to this project.  I'd love to see Ricky and Blondie appear at a show but it be a huge letdown with no David.  Can't wait to see him up there with the other four as I was too young to see him during the early days.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2011, 04:55:29 AM »

Andrew Hickey? Well I swan.

Yeah, I'm still alive. I lurk here (reading on a feed-reader) but don't have time to post (been working *LONG* hours, and also writing books).

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2011, 04:57:18 AM »

You might be thinking of older, pre-2008, reviews. Mike Kowalski, who played with the band up to then, was an utter shambles at times, and a consistently poor player even at his best.
At his best, in the 60's and 70's Mike Kowalski was a fabulous drummer, and anyone pointing out his deficiencies in his later days should be made aware of that fact.

He may well have been - I know he played with some very good people other than the BBs. I'm only going from what I saw in 2001, 2002 and 2004, but I'm very aware that people get older and less capable of doing strenuous physical jobs. No slight on him in his prime was intended.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2011, 02:48:55 PM »

I think when Mike talks about doing Smile tracks, he doesn't mean Good Vibrations. They'll probably do H&V (it'd be interesting to know if it's gonna be the Smile version, which would be new for Mike, Bruce, Al and David to perform on stage) maybe Wonderful. I don't know if it would be possible that they play Surf's Up.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2011, 07:17:26 PM »

Al Jardine singing H&V = WINNING.  Always has been, always will be.  Find ANY tape of H&V with Al singing, and it's good, and yes, I'm including the stuff for that shitty Australia show in '78 or whatever. 

I listened to the Hallmark cd that came out a few years ago, again today, and listened to "P.T. Cruiser".  Al still sounds good man.  Song was pretty blah, but he still has that tone and sound he always did.  I hope they throw Al a few leads on this new stuff, cannot wait to see what they all come up with. 
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2011, 07:24:21 PM »

Agreed Ron.  I hope they give Al H&V...Brian could come in nicely in the middle part with "...in the cantina..." 
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2011, 07:28:02 PM »

I think when Mike talks about doing Smile tracks, he doesn't mean Good Vibrations. They'll probably do H&V (it'd be interesting to know if it's gonna be the Smile version, which would be new for Mike, Bruce, Al and David to perform on stage) maybe Wonderful. I don't know if it would be possible that they play Surf's Up.

A nice SMiLE section could go

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villians
Vega Tables
Wonderful
Surf's Up

Hope they represent SMiLE as generously as they would with Pet Sounds.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2011, 07:31:29 PM »

Seeing Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce, and David Freikin' Marks do "Vega-Tables" on stage might kill me.  I don't know if I'll be able to stand that. 
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2011, 04:50:42 PM »

Same here....I was just listening to the 1993 recording from New York and thought it sounded mighty fine with the group then. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2011, 03:28:11 PM »

I made a semi-serious post elsewhere about the chance of the band doing a live gig/ album/ DVD of SMiLE with a orchestra. The more I think about it the more I think that either SMiLE or a live Pet Sounds gig recorded would be a great one-off opportunity to capture live either (or both!) of rocks greatest works.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2011, 03:55:22 PM »

I dunno.  They've already really done that perfectly with Brian's band.  I think it's much more likely we'll get a 2cd set of one of the 'reunion' gigs with greatest hits/smile/pet sounds stuff mixed together. 
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2011, 06:29:53 PM »

it would be awesome if they did some of the unfinished SMiLE pieces that Brian finished in '03.

the entire 2nd Movement works for me!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2011, 07:29:27 PM »

That might make sense... Mike has a penchant for "Wonderful", they could do that song and just do the rest of the movement behind it.  Very tough to sing that live though, without the young band just handling it. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx