gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How common will it be in stores?  (Read 6297 times)
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 09:47:28 AM »

What was the Best Buy price, if you don't mind me asking.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 10:11:13 AM »

P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 10:11:35 AM »

I went to Walmart this morning. Nope, not there. Which is sad because I probably won't get my 5CD set till tomorrow. I totally would have purchased the 2CD set if it was there. Ok, not too sad. I think Walmart can go without my $30.  LOL

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 10:38:47 AM »

Waiting for my box to arrive. In the meantime i'm having no luck finding the 2cd set anywhere. Was told that two stores may get it in later today or tomorrow. I did however see the box ontop of the counter next to the register at one of the stores.  There was a different box set ontop of it so i could only see a bit of SMiLE. It was a strange and very satisfying moment. By the way, the sticker on the box set said $180 (Canadian).
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 12:10:40 PM »

Waiting for it to arrive (ahould be today), went out to f.y.e music store (the only music shop in this town), there was one copy of the 2 cd release, no box sets and no promotion at all on display.  The 2 cd was hidden behind the few other BB's cd's there.  I moved it to the front.    Wink
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 12:27:36 PM »

My best buy had the 2cd and the box set
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 12:53:49 PM »

Picked up my box set preorder at a local indie. The box set wasn't displayed anywhere, and based on my conversation with the guy that waited on me, they may have only ordered the box for me. They had a surprisingly large number of the 2 CD set though, including a display by the register and top listing on the little chalkboard with new releases as you enter the store. I paid $159.00 for the box, which I thought was reasonable, and the two CD sets were marked at $19.95.

BTW, I picked up one of those Smile shirts at Urban Outfitters too. A friend tipped me off to it. They also had shirts with the Endless Summer movie poster design at the time. The shirt is baby blue and says "The Beach Boys SMiLE" in the same font as the Frank Holmes cover art and has the smiling mouth.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 12:58:23 PM »

Picked up my box set preorder at a local indie. The box set wasn't displayed anywhere, and based on my conversation with the guy that waited on me, they may have only ordered the box for me. They had a surprisingly large number of the 2 CD set though, including a display by the register and top listing on the little chalkboard with new releases as you enter the store. I paid $159.00 for the box, which I thought was reasonable, and the two CD sets were marked at $19.95.

BTW, I picked up one of those Smile shirts at Urban Outfitters too. A friend tipped me off to it. They also had shirts with the Endless Summer movie poster design at the time. The shirt is baby blue and says "The Beach Boys SMiLE" in the same font as the Frank Holmes cover art and has the smiling mouth.

Do you know how much the shirt costs?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2011, 01:21:24 PM »

This was like 3 years ago, so they probably don't carry it anymore, but I believe it was in the $15 range.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, 01:45:04 PM »

Update..thank goodness it hasn't started to snow yet,even though it looks like it..I went to the Best Buy and yes they had it,,I've been listening to it and it sounds great...with tax it came to about $27 and some odd cents..yes it had a poster and a button and a booklet..I may get the poster framed..
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 01:47:08 PM »

Update..thank goodness it hasn't started to snow yet,even though it looks like it..I went to the Best Buy and yes they had it,,I've been listening to it and it sounds great...with tax it came to about $27 and some odd cents..yes it had a poster and a button and a booklet..I may get the poster framed..

Lost my button, well I didn't the GF did,  Cry

I'm heartbroken

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2011, 01:52:56 PM »

I stopped at the best buy I drive by every morning, this morning, and just walked in and picked it up off the shelf.  It was in the Beach Boys section, and also in the "new releases' section.  Didn't look for the 5cd set, though.  25 bucks for the 2cd set. 
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2011, 01:56:16 PM »

I looked it up on Best Buy online, to see if the big boxed set would be at the nearest store.  I'd like to at least take a look at the package.  According to the website, the boxed set isn't at my local Best Buy or several others in the Bay Area.  It was shown in stock at exactly one, at a store that's about 15 miles away.  The 2 CD set is in stock at all of the local stores.  Best Buy used to have a huge section devoted to boxed sets, but now they can't be bothered.  They only have a couple of aisles left of CD's at my local store, so I guess they're lucky to get the 2 CD set in.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2011, 01:57:10 PM »

Went to Best Buy, 2 in new releases, 2 in Beach Boys section.  2 Box sets as well.  I picked up the 2 CD set as I wait for amazon to deliver the box, that box looks awesome!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2011, 02:09:31 PM »

weird that Best Buys in the SF Bay Area don't have the box set on the shelves. The Best Buy here in Asheville, NC had both the box and the 2CD.

the local indie shop wanted $31.99 for the 2CD. that's 12 bucks more than hart's local shop!!!  Angry
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 03:17:34 PM »

I'll tell you what, if Murry was still alive, there'd be SMiLE displays out in every store. Capitol wouldn't have to do it, because he'd out there himself  in each store with a shovel, a hammer, and some nails, working away on Beach Boys displays.  Y'know, that's the problem with the boys in a nutshell. A lot of talent - maybe not as much talent as they think they have, but there's talent there - BUT NO DRIVE.

If Brian had just a smidge of Murry's honest work ethic in him, he'd be out there campaigning and setting up displays himself. But instead, he's loafing in his house, probably watching the 60's radio station on his big screen... and then calling the station up to tell them how cool it would be if they played music videos once in awhile. What's the matter with these kids?

It took every ounce of energy Murry had to keep those knuckleheads working and unified. They second they kicked him out was the second the whole thing unraveled. That's why Smile didn't come out. If Murry had still been in charge, he would've shown Brian that the father really is father to the man or child or whatever and made him piece those sections together. They spent thousands and thousands on 'em. All that investment wasted.

You couldn't do that in machinery - invest thousands in designing and purchasing the parts for new machines, but then not assemble machines. Not if you wanted to stay in business. That's lunacy. Christ. Just watching this Smile debacle continue makes me feel like I'm gonna have a heart attack. But then they have the nerve to tell you to feel sorry for Brian. Murry was a genius and without his brains, what did you expect to have happen to the Beach Boys? They imploded.  And they brought that upon themselves by coldly rejecting the loving care of their father.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:18:49 PM by Dada » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2011, 03:24:06 PM »

yeah it's too bad Murry didn't produce Smile.."out in the barnyard,do be do be doo doo,chickens do their number,be bop ee doo doo" , "I'm picking up,do be do,good vibrations" or "doo be doo be do be doooooooo" (our prayer) ..unfortuantly Smile just hasn't enough synchopation or doo be doos...
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2011, 03:39:27 PM »

LOL watch it now.  Nobody will ever know, and most people won't have the balls to accurately guess, the contribution to their success Murray had.  Or Joe Jackson had.  Or Ike Turner had. 
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2011, 03:43:04 PM »

or Gracie Allen... Grin Grin
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2011, 03:53:39 PM »

"Aye madam, 'tis common." -- Hamlet

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2011, 04:33:44 PM »

My local Best Buy had two of the 2CD sets in the new releases section. There were no box sets of which I could find. My box is coming on Thursday from Amazon.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2011, 12:21:19 PM »

A visit my local independent retailer (Zia Records, Oracle) turned up 2 copies of the TSS box on offer at $139.99, 2 copies of the vinyl and prominent display of the 2 CD set in "New Releases" at $25.99.

Pretty darn good I'd say.
Smiling Pets
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2011, 12:30:28 PM »

My local Best Buy had 3 3cd sets and 2 deluxe boxes. I didn't see any single cds though. I was also able to get mine when Best Buy opened at midnight for the game Uncharted 3. Which was AWESOME!

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2011, 12:33:53 PM »

Lost my button, well I didn't the GF did,  Cry

I'm heartbroken

Maybe get another button from Ebay?   Cheesy

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2011, 04:47:49 AM »

My local Best Buy has no TSS items at all. Same for Barnes and Noble.

Best Buy did have loads of something like "10 Great Songs by The Beach Boys" and NO OTHER BB MATERIAL at all.

At both stores, the floor space devoted to recorded music in a physical form has greatly diminished in the past year.  At Big Box there wasn't even a "Music" sign hanging from the ceiling.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx