gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681291 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 06:46:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian (and Bruce!) interviewed on tonight's Front Row  (Read 20413 times)
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2011, 12:21:16 AM »

Radio 4, Friday 21st, from 7:15. Should be available on iplayer a couple of hours later.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015ztlz
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 12:21:51 AM »

Driving home early this morning from town, I heard a plug in the middle of Radio 4's Today programme for a spot on the Front Row programme tonight about SMiLE. Front Row is the BBC's big cultural programme where all the latest high-brow arts, classical music and theatre are discussed and reviewed, and where the protagonists are interviewed, so this is quite a big deal in the UK. And to get a plug on the Today programme at around 8am (it's the major 'serious' morning BBC current affairs programme) is pretty big bananas! *Someone* is working the press channels pretty effectively to achieve that...

Anyway, the point is, the strains of Surf's Up emerged from my car radio (nearly causing me to fall out of my car with surprise), and there was a snippet of Brian talking where he sounded pretty 'up' and lucid. It might be good, this!

Just thought I'd 'flag' in advance...

MattB
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 12:34:21 AM »

Whoops! Can the mods merge these two threads? I posted mine just as Harvey was posting his!

Great minds, etc etc...!  Wink

Anyway, it would be good to have a single thread where we can check back with reviews after the programme has aired...

MattB
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 12:38:12 AM »

Was it a new mix of Surf's Up?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 12:40:17 AM »

...oh, and I should point out that the Brian interview seems to be a 2011 one, not an archive one. But nonetheless, he sounded quite together compared to some interviews I've heard him give lately.

Who knows, come the programme itself, we might get surly quiet 'it was inappropriate music' Brian again. But on the basis of the 10-second clip I heard, I'll definitely be tuning in, at any rate.

REALLY hard to tell about Surf's Up, Aegir. It was just playing as background music while Brian and the programme's main interviewer, John Wilson, were talking. I think it was the instumental backing to Part 1 of the track, no vocals. And I only noticed that because they finished talking before the end of the clip and the last couple of seconds were 'un-talked-over'. If you see what I mean.

Oh, and yes, I did say Part 1, NOT Part 2...!    Razz
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 12:42:22 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 12:41:18 AM »

Brian and Bruce is kind of an odd combination. You would think that it would probably be Brian and his "team", Mike and Bruce, or Al as a solo.  I think it would be cool if all four of them went on something like Jay Leno, or David Letterman.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 01:15:28 AM »

Brian and Bruce is kind of an odd combination. You would think that it would probably be Brian and his "team", Mike and Bruce, or Al as a solo.  I think it would be cool if all four of them went on something like Jay Leno, or David Letterman.

Wow that would have the potential to be extremely awkward.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 01:27:42 AM »

I don't think it IS a combination... the impression I got was that everyone was interviewed separately, then cut together. These Front Row interviews are usually heavily edited.

I'm not even sure it WAS Bruce... by the time I realised what I was listening to, and that it wasn't some old tape I'd somehow put on by accident, it was Brian talking, without a doubt. Did you definitely hear Bruce, Harvey? I heard a comment about 'brilliant little pieces of music' or something like that, which is definitely the kind of thing Bruce has said about SMiLE over the years, but my concentration was still only just coming into focus on the radio, and with the road noise, I couldn't tell who said that.

MattB
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 01:50:47 AM »

I didn't hear Bruce in the trail that was broadcast on "Today" this morning, though he's mentioned in the page I linked to. Bruce was in London maybe three weeks ago promoting the Doris Day album; I guess the Front Row team interviewed him then; certainly it would be a separate interview from the one with Brian.

And yes, the backing music to the trail was the instrumental take of Surf's Up, but I guess this could have been taken from the Good Vibrations box set. Still, it was an unexpected thrill to hear it on Radio 4 at 8am. Brian sounded very together in the interview snippet too.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 02:17:01 AM »

Thanks for the heads up! Looking forward to this.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 02:30:20 AM »

Wow that would have the potential to be extremely awkward.

No more awkward than Good Morning America or that one show with Joan Rivers. But those were uh. Being single i a lot like liking a Phil Spector record.

No mas, por favor.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 03:35:10 AM »

BBC Radio 4 Front Row, 7.15 tonight:
BW: "It's like the greatest collection of little tid-bits of music I've ever heard in my entire life. I couldn't believe it. It took us 40 years to realise that we had a piece of art in the can."

More info from BBC R4 site:

Today, 19:15 on BBC Radio 4
Synopsis
With John Wilson, including interviews with Brian Wilson and Bruce Johnston of The Beach Boys, as the never-released 1967 album Smile is made available for the first time.
Producer Jerome Weatherald.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 03:43:48 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 05:44:55 AM »

Again, it's nice to know that the UK gives a damn about this release. Hopefully things will pick up a bit here in the States at some point.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 11:18:40 AM »

I believe this show just started now with Brian coming up soon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_fourfm

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 11:21:50 AM »

they've started talking about SMiLE - by playing Surfin'  Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
TerryWogan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 11:22:46 AM »

Bah! Technical problems interrupting the stream...

Seems to be working OK for the time being though.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 11:24:05 AM »

Our Prayer outtake!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
TerryWogan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 11:27:19 AM »

Apparently they didn't revisit the original tapes when recording BWPS? Hmmm. Sounds like one of Brian's less 'on' interviews so far.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 11:31:22 AM »

Now he says the first song they wrote was Heroes

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 11:32:30 AM »

SURFS UP 1967!!!!!

...I've only heard the beginning and the end, and its beauitiful!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 11:33:58 AM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 11:32:43 AM »

SURF'S UP DEMO 67

VOLUME OFFF

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
TerryWogan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »

SURFS UP 1967!!!!!

YES!!!  Grin
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 11:32:57 AM »

SURFS UP 1967!!!!
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 11:33:04 AM »

Finally glad other people can hear this stuff!
: )  Great interview too.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 11:36:16 AM »

CHILD SOUNDS AMAZING IN CLEAN

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx