gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681551 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 07:36:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Monkees Reunion Tour canceled  (Read 3556 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2011, 12:01:53 PM »

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=663391&GT1=28102

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 12:03:41 PM »

Was audience attendance poor?
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 02:04:46 PM »

Dunno, but my first inkling is that they learned just now what they learned in all of their other reunion tours: they hate each other, and at this point they now have enough money to last a while.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 03:39:31 PM »

The comments on the article allude to low ticket sales and bad performances
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:45:18 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 04:21:52 PM »

I could've easily went to two of the performances but found out with only a week's notice and had scheduled something else that I couldn't cancel. I'm a big fan of their best stuff, but considering the bad performances and lack of Nez I can't say I'm too dissapointed.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jason
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 11:56:14 PM »

I honestly can't say I'm surprised about this.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 06:56:19 AM »

It's a shame as I'm a big fan, and it would be cool to hear Micky Dolenz sing those songs live again, but without Nesmith it loses some of the appeal. And these guys for several decades have been at each others' throats! As someone said, they're just not on good terms with each other, especially Dolenz and Jones.

At least we have all the records and TV shows and the film and whatnot to enjoy. Smiley Love that stuff.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 05:35:06 PM »

What happened between Dolenz and Jones? Just curios.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 08:25:32 PM »

Why do we even need Davy on the tour anyway? What function did he ever serve besides pretty boy?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 08:43:12 PM »

Why do we even need Davy on the tour anyway? What function did he ever serve besides pretty boy?
...And first class Jerk to the rest of the members.

SG7
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 09:35:02 PM »

My friend Johnny was doing bass on this tour too Sad
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 11:09:21 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_9kjsr398U

Cool Guy

No mas, por favor.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 12:42:54 PM »

I'm glad that I saw them before the tour was canceled....they were really good.....
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »

I thought Nesmith was going to tour with them this year.  Was I dreaming that or did I read it somewhere? I see YouTube clips up until late July of this year and no Nesmith.  Did he just show up to a couple of gigs? 

Did you know Mike Nesmith's Mom invented "White-out", that old correction liquid for typing mistakes?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 01:20:54 PM »

I thought Nesmith was going to tour with them this year.  Was I dreaming that or did I read it somewhere? I see YouTube clips up until late July of this year and no Nesmith.  Did he just show up to a couple of gigs? 

Did you know Mike Nesmith's Mom invented "White-out", that old correction liquid for typing mistakes?

no he didn't..I think he may have went to see them in concert at one point early in the tour though....
Mac the Hat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 06:05:06 AM »

I was really tempted for the tour, but tickets were silly prices - Im sure they were £45-£105.  And without Mike Nesmith, I didnt fancy it.

I love my Carl, I love my Brian, my Dennis and my Al. I could even find it in my heart to love Mike Love

(Belle and Sebastian)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 10:14:17 AM »

This is a new clip of Davy Jones on the radio trying to explain why the recent tour was cancelled. Something about failure to plan ahead and the tour conflicting with other "personal appearances"?

I don't know, it was a bit confusing but here it is for anyone interested:

http://wcbsfm.radio.com/2011/09/06/dan-taylor-talks-to-davy-jones-about-the-monkees-tour-cancellation-bergen-pac-and-more/

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
cst
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 10:19:59 AM »

It really is a pity.  NY show that I went to was sold out (or damn near) and the performance was killer.  I wouldn't believe bad performances or attendance, and I say that honestly as someone who didn't expect anything from this tour other than a last gasp.
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 10:23:02 AM »

I hope this doesn't effect Rhino's wonderful deluxe CD re-issues. I am waiting for Instant Replay!!

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
cst
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 10:25:51 AM »

I hope this doesn't effect Rhino's wonderful deluxe CD re-issues. I am waiting for Instant Replay!!

You and me both.  I hope the detour into vinyl (Head) was just a detour and that we'll get that box.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx