gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680828 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:04:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recordings Of The Beach Boys W/ Glen Campbell  (Read 9664 times)
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2011, 09:59:41 PM »

Does anyone know what exactly is known to exist as far as vintage recordings of The Beach Boys with Glen Campbell filling in for Brian?  Do any live recordings exist?
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 09:18:59 AM »

Yea i wonder about this myself and live stuff with David Marks.!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:30:09 AM »

Does anyone know what exactly is known to exist as far as vintage recordings of The Beach Boys with Glen Campbell filling in for Brian?  Do any live recordings exist?

I've never heard of any existing or even rumoured.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 09:32:43 AM »

The only live recording w/David would be the 30-second clip of "Mr. Moto" from the KOXR Oxnard Diaper Derby, 6/14/62.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 09:46:18 AM »

The only live recording w/David would be the 30-second clip of "Mr. Moto" from the KOXR Oxnard Diaper Derby, 6/14/62.

Did they make a specific recording for the "One Man's Challenge" film?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 10:26:20 AM »

Did they make a specific recording for the "One Man's Challenge" film?

Think so, but I can't recall if that footage is live or mimed.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 12:22:49 PM »

Seems to be live audio combined with a mimed performance for the cameras. But I'd count that "Surfin Safari" audio as live Beach Boys with David Marks.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 12:24:55 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 01:16:37 PM »

Seems to be live audio combined with a mimed performance for the cameras. But I'd count that "Surfin Safari" audio as live Beach Boys with David Marks.

Works for me - one and a half tracks, then.  Grin

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 02:54:56 PM »

It would be fascinating if any tapes existed of Glen playing live with the group.  I've heard that at some shows, the group left the stage and allowed Glen to take a solo.  I heard from a person that attended one show here in Charlotte that he strapped on a banjo and let loose with a roaring version of "Foggy Mountain Breakdown."  I also remember hearing or reading that at another show he came out with guitar and did a spot-on imitation of Roger Miller playing/singing "Dang Me."

Lee
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 05:56:33 PM »

Dang Me Lee.  We got to dig for that!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 06:59:38 PM »

You're forgetting the recording of What'd I Say? with Dave singing lead.  Smiley

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 08:28:06 PM »

You're forgetting the recording of What'd I Say? with Dave singing lead.  Smiley
[/quote]

I googled Beach Boys what I say and got this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuqhvy_VcH4

obviously not David Marks, but it doesn't really sound like the Beach Boys at all...it really rocks - it reminds me a bit of that live Bruce Johnson album from the early 60s, but way tighter.  Anyone have more info?  I can't really even tell whose singing lead.  Also, who's wailing on the saxophone?     
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 09:03:56 PM »

Are there any recordings of David singing from the 60's to go by? I don't know what his voice sounds like.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 09:24:06 PM »

Are there any recordings of David singing from the 60's to go by? I don't know what his voice sounds like.
This is a David Marks lead vocal from 1967...The Moon "Brother Lou's Love Colony"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H6xDnbwtHk
MBE
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 09:26:03 PM »

I googled Beach Boys what I say and got this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuqhvy_VcH4

obviously not David Marks, but it doesn't really sound like the Beach Boys at all...it really rocks - it reminds me a bit of that live Bruce Johnson album from the early 60s, but way tighter.  Anyone have more info?  I can't really even tell whose singing lead.  Also, who's wailing on the saxophone?     
[/quote]
It's a young Carl. Got that straight from Brian who remembered doing it at gigs then. Listen to Pom Pom Playgirl and you can see it's him.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 10:59:55 PM »

In Australia, in 1964 ?  Care to spot the two small problems here ?  Grin

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 12:08:07 AM »

Yeah, something isn't right there.  Grin I thought I read that it was from 1963. Is it even The Beach Boys at all?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 01:01:31 AM »

Yeah, something isn't right there.  Grin I thought I read that it was from 1963. Is it even The Beach Boys at all?

Yes - there are two other songs on the tape from the radio station, one's "LDC" and... I forget the other.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 04:01:49 AM »

Papa Oom Mow Mow?

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 05:47:31 AM »

Papa Oom Mow Mow?

Rings a bell, thanks.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 08:14:48 AM »

While you're we're on the topic of Campbell, are Brian and Usher on bvs for Malibu Sunset?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 03:44:59 PM »

Glen singing the high part as a sample of what Glen would sound like with the group.
http://www.wreckingcrewfilm.com/premiumglencampbell/index.html

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 08:19:49 AM »

Isn't this Usher on lead, rather than Campbell?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofGmc6bFuio

For comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyuyxBInjAk&feature=related
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 12:43:23 PM »

I'm listening to "What'd I Say" now and something doesn't quite fit here.

First of all, the sax part is well beyond anything I've ever heard Mike Love technically pull off. Not to say it's incredibly hard, but it's a real part.

Second, the vocal.  Yeah, if it's anybody in the band, it's Carl.  But it's pretty early for Carl to pull off a lead vocal this authoritative and ballsy.

Third, the band overall does sound like the BBs, but it's a much tougher and tighter sound than I'm familiar with.  Not to say the band didn't rock, or that the ambience of the mix and excitement of a show can't do wonders, but the drum break in particular is very rhythmically precise...again, I'm not saying Dennis COULDN'T do it, just that it's a pretty impressive performance if he did, and tighter than I'd expect.

Now on the other hand, the guy shouting responses does sound like Brian to me.  And the sound of the drums and guitars, etc, sounds about right for the band.  But a lot of bands in that era sounded roughly the same way live.

So, I dunno.  If it really is the BBs without any guest vocalists or players or anything like that, they're playing (and a young Carl is singing) way above their game.  It's a pretty awesome performance.  But something about it just doesn't quite ring true to me.  If it is them, color me impressed.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 01:38:46 PM »

I'm listening to "What'd I Say" now and something doesn't quite fit here.

First of all, the sax part is well beyond anything I've ever heard Mike Love technically pull off. Not to say it's incredibly hard, but it's a real part.

Second, the vocal.  Yeah, if it's anybody in the band, it's Carl.  But it's pretty early for Carl to pull off a lead vocal this authoritative and ballsy.

Third, the band overall does sound like the BBs, but it's a much tougher and tighter sound than I'm familiar with.  Not to say the band didn't rock, or that the ambience of the mix and excitement of a show can't do wonders, but the drum break in particular is very rhythmically precise...again, I'm not saying Dennis COULDN'T do it, just that it's a pretty impressive performance if he did, and tighter than I'd expect.

Now on the other hand, the guy shouting responses does sound like Brian to me.  And the sound of the drums and guitars, etc, sounds about right for the band.  But a lot of bands in that era sounded roughly the same way live.

So, I dunno.  If it really is the BBs without any guest vocalists or players or anything like that, they're playing (and a young Carl is singing) way above their game.  It's a pretty awesome performance.  But something about it just doesn't quite ring true to me.  If it is them, color me impressed.
The Beach Boys had been performing What'd I Say as the encore or last song or stretcher of their set since mid '62. Carl usually sang it. Mike did play the sax on it. I agree it sounds a bit more rocking than some other BB's stuff...but really what do we have to compare it to from Jan. '64 or earlier? There's that f'd up Hollywood Bowl daytime mini-performance where Al had just rejoined, and the band sounds tiny and clumsy. But maybe a better comparison is Let's Go Trippin' from Sacramento Dec. 63...now that could be the same band as this What'd I Say performance...even the sax is similar, and its just a month earlier or less. BTW...Carl, Dennis and even David usually had lead vocal turns in the '62/63 BB's sets, we just haven't heard them, therefore hearing a very young Carl on lead vocal on What'd I Say seems weird...but it wasn't. Again, we just don't have anything to compare it to.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx