gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681290 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 03:54:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE allusion in Fleet Foxes?  (Read 3663 times)
Bruce Louden
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2011, 06:38:05 AM »

Hello People - Let me introduce myself, Bruce Louden - I just registered with this site recently (though I used to post on it occasionally some years ago).

The Fleet Floxes song "Quiet Houses," at about 2:30, has a brief section which to me, at least, strongly suggests a SMiLE vibe in general,
but parts of the version of Wind Chimes with the electric keyboard in specific, as in Sea of Tunes 17, track 3 (=take 5).
The song is a few yrs old, and thus would only allude to SMiLE in general, not any current release.

Was wondering if anyone else had noticed, or what they thought (apologies if this issue has already been discussed).

Sincerely, Bruce

Some wordplays are trivial - some are quadrivial.
                                                                   James Joyce
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:43:25 AM »

There's at least one song on each Fleet Foxes album that reminds me a lot of Smile...can't remember more than that off the top of my head, but it's got a sort of laid back instrumental "plodding" beat to it, and it lasts for a few seconds.

Robin Pecknold has said many times how big a fan of Brian Wilson he is. He said one of the greatest musical experiences of his life was downloading Smile and hearing it. He was also immensely pleased to have received an email response from Van Dyke Parks.

edit: i'll also add that the new FF album (excellent), contains a use of location (pacific northwest) as theme in the same way that Smile does. I find a lot of similarities between the two bands.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:48:52 AM by Loaf » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 06:55:41 AM »

I have that album, and it does have a Pet Sounds/Smile element to it. I did notice that before.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 06:58:06 AM »

What about Olivia Tremor Control?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Bruce Louden
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 06:59:17 AM »

Thanks for the rough confirmation.  I don't know anything about the FF, just enjoy that album quite a bit.

Tiny bit more background - since I am new to all/most of you.
I've had the SMiLE bug since about 1975, when I first heard Smiley SMile in a dorm at UC Santa Cruz, under certain psychotropic circumstances typical of that time and place -
and it blew me away - Vegetables esp, on a 1st listening, then H & V and the trance-inducing Woody Woodpecker Symphony.
 My friend who introduced me to that unique platter,
then directed me to the great article in Rolling Stone from a few yrs earlier
(can't remember that author's name). 

In 1978 I was working in Stacey's Books in SF, where the buyer was a fellow named Mike Vosse.

Fortunate to have met someone so close to the action, in 1982 or 3 I played for him the reel-to reel tape of the 1st SMiLE bootleg.

Looking for some closure on this obsession!

James Joyce
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 07:01:14 AM »

Then you've come to the wrong place Smiley
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 07:04:37 AM »

What about Olivia Tremor Control?

Absolutely. A lot of the Elephant 6 rings of Smile and later Beatles

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 07:23:51 AM »

In 1978 I was working in Stacey's Books in SF, where the buyer was a fellow named Mike Vosse.

Fortunate to have met someone so close to the action, in 1982 or 3 I played for him the reel-to reel tape of the 1st SMiLE bootleg.

Whoah cool! What was his reaction?

and greetings Bruce Louden!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 07:30:32 AM »

LOL after the SS box, he'll be inoculated for years and years to come...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Jason
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 07:56:41 AM »

LOL Post of the year.
Bruce Louden
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 08:00:25 AM »

He (Vosse) recognized each piece instantly, was most moved by Mrs O'Leary's Cow - but didn't add any earth-shattering revelations or anything.
He also related a few stories I haven't seen anywhere else. 

He said BW had an early video system of some sort
- and that during the SMiLE era he would do imitations of Johnny Carson which he replayed on his tv.

I only knew Vosse @ 1978-83, and one chance meeting about 1990, before I moved out of the Bay Area.

James Joyce
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 08:22:14 AM »

He (Vosse) recognized each piece instantly, was most moved by Mrs O'Leary's Cow - but didn't add any earth-shattering revelations or anything.
He also related a few stories I haven't seen anywhere else. 

He said BW had an early video system of some sort
- and that during the SMiLE era he would do imitations of Johnny Carson which he replayed on his tv.

I only knew Vosse @ 1978-83, and one chance meeting about 1990, before I moved out of the Bay Area.

Thanks for sharing!

Wow, I'd be bugging the hell out of him, repeatedly playing different takes of Windchimes and asking if it's the one he was referring to in the Fusion article. Sounds like he had a lucky escape with you!

I think that video system is referred to somewhere - maybe the How Deep Is The Ocean book? Anybody?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Bruce Louden
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 03:07:56 PM »

Thanks for sharing!

Wow, I'd be bugging the hell out of him, repeatedly playing different takes of Windchimes and asking if it's the one he was referring to in the Fusion article. Sounds like he had a lucky escape with you!

I think that video system is referred to somewhere - maybe the How Deep Is The Ocean book? Anybody?

Buddahat - At that time there were no other versions of Wind CHimes out.  The first batch of SMiLE boots had: Do You Like Worms, 2 takes of Fire, Can't Wait TOo Long, You Are My SUnshine (w/o vcl), a segment of H & V, the xylophone/clarinet instrumental, and the tracking session for the 1st part of Surf's Up.  About '86 the marimba Smile version of WC made it's way forth.

James Joyce
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 04:11:33 PM »

Isn't there a segment about Fleet Foxes in the TLOS documentary?

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 04:14:51 PM »

The lead singer of Fleet Foxes has said that at one time he thought that SMiLE was the best thing he'd ever heard.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 01:47:08 AM »

Thanks for sharing!

Buddahat - At that time there were no other versions of Wind CHimes out.  The first batch of SMiLE boots had: Do You Like Worms, 2 takes of Fire, Can't Wait TOo Long, You Are My SUnshine (w/o vcl), a segment of H & V, the xylophone/clarinet instrumental, and the tracking session for the 1st part of Surf's Up.  About '86 the marimba Smile version of WC made it's way forth.

Ha ha! No, I appreciate those bits came out later.

Still, if you ever get the chance, could you play him that version of Windchimes with the syncopated count in in the middle and ask him if it's the one he remembers?

I'm kidding!

Maybe you could just ask him about it?

Bruce Louden
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 05:37:36 AM »

Maybe you could just ask him about it?

Wish I could.  Anyone have any contact info on MV?  I've had no contact with him for eons.

James Joyce
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 05:55:37 AM »

I wasn't a member at the time, but he posted on the old Smile Shop one day shortly after the BWPS concerts. The thread was archived at one point but don't know if anyone still has access to it.

I think he was flooded with questions similar to mine above and, if memory serves, he was quite bewildered by it all. He may not have said "you guys need to get out more" but it was implied in his responses!

Bruce Louden
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 02:24:11 PM »

I think he was flooded with questions similar to mine above and, if memory serves, he was quite bewildered by it all. He may not have said "you guys need to get out more" but it was implied in his responses!

Not surprised.  When I knew him he was somewhat private, but quite energetic on certain topics.  Maybe he'll be moved to speak out when the SS comes out.

James Joyce
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx